First Post (Looking at 488 or F8) | FerrariChat

First Post (Looking at 488 or F8)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by James R, Jun 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James R

James R Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2020
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    James Richards
    Hello All,

New to the forum. I'm in the market for a 488 CPO or an F8. I have been in contact with a dealer on an available F8 and plan to make a visit. Just trying to see what the general consensus is for the new F8 vs 488. About a $100k difference between the two. Appreciate any feedback. Totally understand the various option aspects and how that changes the equation. Looking at similarly spec'd options at this point.

2. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
  3. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Let me be the first to welcome you!

Seems to me like the most intelligent response to your question is to try to test drive both cars back to back...for all you know, you may fall so head over heels for the F8 that the 100k delta become secondary. On the other hand, you may love the 488 more than the F8 after driving it, and then it becomes a big win for you; lower price and the big downside hit has already been absorbed by the other guy.,

Since you asked, here's my view: I think I would look long and hard at a 488 that meets your tastes, then work 'em for a price that reflects the current environment. So much less downside risk on a well bought 488 than an F8 at MSRP. I recently traded out of my 2019 488, and it was a fantastic car; quick, capable, and comfortable. I loved it, and only traded it because the replacement was a Pista. Yes, the F8 is such a pretty car, but I'm wondering, in 10 years, will it really matter when compared with the tidy styling of the 488? (I'm a sucker for the F8's looks, but I admit it may just be infatuation because its the next new thing.)

I think your next step is the test drive...

James R, PTG1 and Gh21631 like this.
  4. James R

James R Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2020
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    James Richards
    Great input, and I appreciate it very much. Being new to Ferrari is there really much negotiation that takes place at a dealership for a CPO 488? Don’t mean to sound like such a noob on this but I’ve heard from some places there isn’t much price movement in this space. I’ve negotiated on Benz, BMW, Jag and Range Rover so it’s not new to me, I just don’t know. I usually like the new car smell however... I know the price delta is going to set me back another $100k plus, but I’m somewhat ok with that to get what really stands out to me. I will definitely take your advice and drive them both. It’s a long way to the closest dealership (6 hour drive or one hour flight), so I’m going to make the most of the trip.

5. James R

James R Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2020
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    James Richards
  6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    The question I always ask is why do you want a Ferrari? What purpose will the car serve? You are new here OP and probably do not know me or what I am. I am someone who does not see cars as anything but machines that serve a purpose (like a coffee maker or vacuum), I like cars (since I am closing in on owning 500 of them I better), and I really enjoy taking them apart, but they all must serve a purpose. My current Ferrari is a 2014 458 Spider, and the new car smell as you have called it is still there even after 25K miles. Ferrari leather has a certain smell that seems to not go away. I passed on a 488 and F8 because for my purpose for the car the extra power would be of no use. With traction controls off (I drive this way in all my sports cars) the 458 feels lighter on its feet and is easier to control when the tail kicks out. To me the cars do not really look so different (but I don't care as much about that as most people do), other than on the inside. The inside, yes the 488/F8 have updated tech (if you are buying a Ferrari for tech you should look elsewhere), which I suppose is nice but not a reason in my opinion to spend all that extra money. If you purpose is to say I own a Ferrari (I am not trying to offend you OP that is many owners reason and if that is yours I have no issue with it) well then maybe you should look at a 458. I mean no disrespect OP but mid engine Ferrari's are edgy cars and you said yourself you have never owned one, so maybe it might be a good idea to drive the 458, 488, Lusso, F8, maybe even a Lamborghini, or see if they are going to make a i8M (like I was told a little while back). Truth is most Ferrari owners never even push their cars (though most everyone on here is a F1 racer behind the wheel they would probably faint of they saw what a skilled driver could do with their car) to even half their limits. I am old and cranky, but have enough experience with cars for 3 lifetimes, and I offer you this advise. Think about what you purpose (use) will be for the car, drive a few, then decide. When someone says they want their first Ferrari to be a 488/F8 it makes me wonder if that person is just looking for (which is your right) the badge and is not thinking about what it means to own it. Either way good luck and welcome to the forum

7. James R

James R Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2020
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    James Richards
    Thank you very much for your wisdom and viewpoint. The simple answer is “yes”, I simply want to own a really cool Ferrari and I’ve got to the point in life that I can afford one and it’s always been a dream of mine. I just turned 51 and I’ve owned some decent cars but never a Ferrari or any other true exotic (I don’t really consider my Jaguar F-Type R Coupe a true exotic). I own an IT company and I honestly do appreciate modern machinery. As you say, everyone is purchasing for their own personal reasons. The feedback I have received so far from the forum is excellent. It sounds like both editions (488 & F8) and even the 458 are all worthy candidates to consider and not one of them brings much more to the table than the other in terms of enjoyment and performance. It seems like it now comes down to personal factors of price and which one I personally identify with to own. Thanks everyone for great input.

8. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Actually the statement "not one of them brings much more to the table than the other in terms of enjoyment and performance" is certainly not true for the performance category. I own a 458 spider with 577 hp and I test drove the F8 with 710 hp it is a night and day difference in performance. I also like the new styling and updated interior. For me I wanted to spec a new Ferrari exactly how I wanted it, so that was the deciding factor.

wrs, Manda racing and Napoli like this.
  9. James R

James R Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2020
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    James Richards
    Good to know. Now it makes me want to test drive that F8 even more. :)

10. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Some things to consider: from allocation/order ro receiving it could be 8 months or longer. The factory is backlogged. If the wait does not bother you, or have the opportunity for a cancelled order I would opt for the F8. It has a phenomenal engine to the likes of a Pista and excellent styling.

11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    There are already F8s sitting at the dealers.

wrs and BLAMPEE like this.
  12. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale

Gh21631 likes this.
  13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    In addition to the canceled orders the dealers are now taking overflow cars that may not be advertised. You just have to ask them.

14. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

Yep. Saw two of them this week at Scottsdale Ferrari. :)

Manda racing and Gh21631 like this.
  15. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I personally think the F8 styling will last the test of time, it looks amazing. I went to the London reveal with absolutely no intention of buying one, once is saw it in life I was sold and had put my order in before the week was out

Coincid, buddyg, Napoli and 1 other person like this.
  16. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    51, I think I remember that. I owned two Type FR;s after 800 miles I gave the last one to my girlfriend, she gave it back and said I want a real sports car this thing is terrible. She was right. If you only want to own a cool car as you say go buy a 458 save a ton of money and, okay maybe it is because mine is white, but is draws more attention than any of my other Ferrari's have. Funny thing Algar is very close and there are quite a few Ferrari's around here, but mine seems to get a lot of attention. My AMG GTS believe it or not gets even more attention than the 458, and like I said if the purpose of buying this car is just to have a Ferrari or exotic than drive a 458, it may very well be enough for you. Truthfully I doubt there are more than a handful of people on this forum that actually can handle their cars with the traction controls off. I used to build crazy cars that would kill you (a few did) if you did not have the talent to drive them, more power does not always mean better car. If you live by a runway you can drive on or there are roads near you that you can hit 150mph well than maybe a 488/F8 is the better choice. Yes those cars are more powerful but when does that matter. Sorry if I am going to insult anyone but when people start saying this one is better because (and sound more like marketing materials than practical understanding), I begin to wonder. Look up the willful suspension of reality (something else I am incapable of), you will probably be surprised how much it effects you every day.

JanStuart likes this.
  17. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    You will pay more for the F8 if that is okay with you then get the F8 because it is a great looking car and runs with the best of them . However if you don't mind saving say 100k the 488 would be just fine...although I like the looks of the F8 better.. but that's just one opinion .. welcome and best of luck it will be fun ... they are great cars which ever you decide...

James R likes this.
  18. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    There's still a healthy spread between wholesale and dealer pricing, Manheim numbers would tell you a lot. Figure 5-10%... there might be $10k on the table. Or more. Some of these sit for a while. There's also a little wiggle on the warranty pricing.

I have limited experience driving F8 and 488 twice each only 15-20 mins, but I would offer this:
    • The drive is fairly similar, my "butt dyno" can barely distinguish 660hp versus 710hp
    • Do you want it now? Probably 488
    • Do you want to save as much money in depreciation as possible? 488
    • Do you want the newest and best? F8
    • Do you want to specify the car exactly how you want it? F8

Manda racing and James R like this.
  19. James R

James R Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2020
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    James Richards
    Ok everyone, Your input was fantastic. I went to the dealer and drove the new F8, a new 488 Demo (2019) and a 6,500 mile 458 (2011). On the 2011 they handed me this little metal thing that I had to push into the steering column and turn to get it to start... :) Just kidding...

I could not tell much difference between the F8 and the 488. The 458 they had was ok, but didn't appeal to me very much. I guess I just like the Turbo more than the naturally aspirated engine and the condition was a little worn in my opinion. They gave me a price on the F8 that was $20k over sticker and I had to think about that for a few minutes. Then we reviewed their inventory and they had a 2017 488 with only 691 miles on it. I drove it and it was fantastic. I was able to negotiate the price down and bought it for about $100k less than the F8 (not bad for my 'first" Ferrari), and it had the bumper to bumper extended warranty for another two years. It will be delivered to me on Saturday. I can't wait! Thanks again for all the help. I'll be posting pics later...

wrs, MANDALAY, Manda racing and 6 others like this.
  20. James R

James R Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2020
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    James Richards
    Thanks Larry, saving the $100k and getting a practically new 488 was the path I took.

LARRYH and BLAMPEE like this.
  21. James R

James R Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2020
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    James Richards
    Took your advice. ;-)
    Thank you.

22. mustangtornado

Dec 19, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jay
    great choice! welcome to the 488 club!

23. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    congratulations .. definitely a great choice...post a picture when you can

24. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Fantastic choice! You have so many great adventures ahead :)

25. James R

James R Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2020
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    James Richards
    Thanks!