360 electrical related power loss issue | FerrariChat

360 electrical related power loss issue

Discussion in '360/430' started by Yellow02Z06, May 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yellow02Z06

Yellow02Z06 Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Hey folks - so I do my own work on my 360 and 328s as much as possible, and actually in my 5 years of ownership, no one but me has worked on the 360.

My work has been mechanical though, nothing really electrical

I have a code reader on order - hope it works, last one did not.

But, meanwhile, here is the situation: I had a CEL for a little while, then recently, while driving I noticed I was down on power, noticeable at about 5000 rpm and up where car normally starts to growl (has a Borla exhaust). Its just flat - does not feel like full limp mode, and I get no message or added lights.

Turn car off, then back on, issue went away - first time. Second time it happened it did not go away. So I turned off power with knob in frunk. Restarted car later, no CEL, no issue - for that drive.

Then today, happened again, and again today with car off, then back on, went away....

It almost feels to me as if the cam variators are not activating when this issue happens, but I have not heard of computer shutting those down....I will know more after code reader arrives, if it works, but any thoughtful educated input is welcomed and appreciated at this point...

360+Volt=Prius likes this.
  2. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Really in the dark without knowing codes. How old is your battery?

3. Yellow02Z06

Yellow02Z06 Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    I have not replaced it, don't know, its ok, it will run down if small lights are left on for a while....

4. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    Mine was doing that. Noticed it was 4 years old, replaced it and it made a big difference.

SoftwareDrone and Yellow02Z06 like this.
  5. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Looks like it's over 5 years of age if you haven't replaced it and had the car for 5 years. If you've had it go down a few times, that's not helping longevity so it's most likely on its way out. I'd recommend ~$200 at your local auto parts store well invested for the next 5 years.
    I replaced mine a few weeks ago. No symptoms but a date code of more than 5 years. Why gamble?

Yellow02Z06 likes this.
  6. tifosi101

tifosi101 Karting

Jun 12, 2013
    France
    Maybe not the case here but for sure battery health has a major impact on the good functioning of the engine. I live such nightmare with my 360 for months until I understand it.
    No DTC but a poor engine. Think about it...
    But the first thing is to buy a 5usd ELM327 and to check DTC.

7. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Ideas—
    Battery
    Mass air meters - test known good from a friends car
    Bad fuel?
    Oil overfill in upper intake

8. Yellow02Z06

Yellow02Z06 Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Thks for the input
    1) The ELM27 appears to be a bluetooth code broadcast device, presumably one needs an app for phone with it - which app have you used?
    2) You say "poor engine" - presumably you you mean that the 360s overall electrical health is better with a new battery....I guess I may be able to get my head around that as i know the cars do not ground well, with so maych aluminum, but I hate just buying parts for no clear reason

9. Yellow02Z06

Yellow02Z06 Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Thks - This is clearly electrical / computer related due to the intermittent nature of it, a lot of folks including you so far seem to think a battery could make a difference, i am skeptical, but may try that....gotta get the codes first....

10. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    A weak battery can wreak havoc on these cars...ask me how I know.

imahorse, SoftwareDrone and Apollo 11 like this.
  11. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    +1

you would be surprised how a battery not at 100% will cause you issues. Also ask me how I know..

Apollo 11 likes this.
  12. Yellow02Z06

Yellow02Z06 Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    ok i am asking....

13. Yellow02Z06

Yellow02Z06 Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    ok im asking, no, pleading

14. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I've personally experienced missed shifts, E-diff lights, "Stuck in neutral", and suspension system faults. Initially I had no battery warning lights, and had no idea it was a battery issue, especially since I had a 2 year old Odyssey performance battery in there. Eventually the cold starts became more desperate, less crisp, still no battery light. Eventually battery started coming on only during cranking, and then went away after few seconds..then after few minutes. As the battery got worse, the symptoms became more common, but always intermittent.

I'm a controls engineer, and can tell you that PLCs of all types (which is what all the control modules in cars are) are very very sensitive to voltage drops, and causes their logic gates to act incorrectly, or sometimes have units restart.

this is why 3rd world countries don't make good locations for manufacturing. Common brown-outs cause havoc on control systems ..ask me how I know :)

Apollo 11 likes this.
  15. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Oh forgot to mention that I brought in the battery to a local autoparts store to check for health, having a curious mind. The test checked out. The problem with the test was that it showed more cranking amps than what the battery was rated for (was well as it obviously was not cranking the car's engine well). One reason might be because the Odyssey battery is a AGL, not sure why that would matter though, haven't researched it.

16. Yellow02Z06

Yellow02Z06 Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Well while awaiting my latest scanner order since the car cranked slowly too after a couple days sitting i got a new battery - it did help/solve the situation seemingly but a week or so and quite a few miles later problem has returned

17. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    Have you had a look at the alternator and/or alternator wiring harness? I had my harness and alt replaced recently due to a poor old re-crimping and it seemed to improve how the car behaves.

18. Yellow02Z06

Yellow02Z06 Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    thks for the input have not checked alternator but new battery is charging well - next step is reading codes

Some Guy in the sky likes this.
  19. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Without the codes there is no answer to be had, everything is a random guess. Turning off the power is almost always a bad idea when trying to understand an problem. It erases the codes and THAT is what you need to find the issue. Get a reader, they are cheap, and read the codes from BOTH ECUs. Then you can get some help. Until then, you are just wasting money on parts.

SoftwareDrone likes this.
  20. Yellow02Z06

Yellow02Z06 Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    As noted above I have a reader on order and only bought a battery because mine was dying anyway....I have had problems finding a code reader that works and you mention they are “cheap”. Do you actually have one and if so which one?

21. Apollo 11

Apollo 11 Karting

Feb 11, 2019
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
  22. Yellow02Z06

Yellow02Z06 Karting

Nov 2, 2013
  23. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    AP 200 is the best and you can get free updates for life for one car model.

24. Yellow02Z06

Yellow02Z06 Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Updates - also replaced MAF sensors before getting reader as I was on the road and after a long period of no issues, the power loss reared its head, and I was told that MAFs were a potential cuplrit - cleaning them helped, but did not sure so i bought new ones, which helped more / longer, but did not cure.

Code reader finally arrived and I am getting P1148 and P1189 Potentiometer issue codes, as well as P0455 fuel pressure / evap issue code, as P1571 immobiliser code.

The car is not down a bank though as I thought is implied by immobiliser, at least, I dont think it is, as exhaust is hot both sides.

Problem tends to happen after running for a while, and car is good and hot (but nowhere near overheating).

I am not getting a CEL.

Any thoughtful input based on the above facts is appreciated....

25. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Did you check all of the ground points?