355 - Thoughts on trading in a 997.2 GT3 for a F355? | FerrariChat

355 Thoughts on trading in a 997.2 GT3 for a F355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Chili05, Jun 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chili05

Chili05 Rookie

Jun 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Sang
    I'm thinking about trading in my 997.2 GT3 for a F355. The car will just be used for weekend driving/back roads etc. I love the GT3 but honestly don't drive it anywhere close to its full potential so think I'm ok with the reduction in performance. My other car is a 993 4S (which I am keeping) and I'm assuming that performance wise the F355 will be somewhere between the 993 and GT3.
    Also understand that the F355 will have much more of more of a "classic" car feel vs the GT3, given its ~15 years older, but I have yet to actually drive a F355 which will obviously be the real test. Would welcome thoughts from anyone who has had experience with both cars.

Thanks

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Your correct its more akin to the 993. Not sure what the overall objective is. 355 is better simply by virtue of the badge and sound of course. If your wanting the better of the 2 cars that's somewhat subjective as the definition of better is nebulous. If you want a 355 for emotional reasons, get it.

There are several threads similar to this btw.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/355-vs-993.502630/

Google something like this "ferrari 355 vs 993 site:www.ferrarichat.com"

Good luck on your quest!

3. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

355 is like driving an adult-sized go-kart.

Drive it barefoot once and you'll never go back to wearing shoes in its cabin.....(this is what I miss most about mine)

Natkingcolebasket69 and GerryD like this.
  4. JDC PDX

JDC PDX Rookie

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I highly suggest you drive one before getting rid of the GT3.

tres55 likes this.
  5. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I've had some seat time in all three (and DD a 993), and the 355 isn't like either the 993 or the GT3. It's a little faster than a 993 but a very, very different driving experience, and it's in a different galaxy in terms of performance from the GT3. I would drive a 355 or two before making the decision. And if it comes to a choice of getting rid of the 993 or the GT3, obviously ditch the GT3. ;)

6. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    In my opinion, you keep the GT3 and add a 355 if you can. Apples to oranges IMO and the 997.2 GT3 is iconic and essentially already a classic on its own for its generation of manual transmission cars.

Natkingcolebasket69 and JDC PDX like this.
  7. texasnoiz

texasnoiz Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2018
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    k s
    GT3 is a rare bird and has minimal maintenance issues - F355 is way more costly to maintain and update for modern driving times. Ive had a 993 also - nice driving experience, but too underpowered and lacked sound so it only last a few months. personal taste. F355 is a whole different experience - driving, sound, feel. looking down at the gated manual is unmatched by modern cars.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  8. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    all great comments above so I will not repeat.
    I would add though, that I used to own a 996 GT3 and own now a 2016 GT4. The latter is similar in many way to the 997 GT3.
    Both are far "better" cars vs the F355. Amazingly capable on the track, very easy to drive and even pick up groceries. Not so much with the F355.
    BUT every time the car is out it is an event. For you and for others. In many ways it is boring driving a P-car vs a Ferrari.

You have to drive a few as much as it is possible to see if you will feel the same. Also, maintenance is now question potentially higher depending what you can live with and what you absolutely want to fix (shop vs DIY) and what maintenance the car you are buying had (recent engine out, valves, headers, etc, etc).

BTW - are you thinking about a spyder or berlinetta? Or maybe a challenge for track only? (except 1995 which may have the ability tp be driven on the street)

9. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I recently bought a 997.1 GT3.
    I still have the 355.

Two very very different cars.

10. Chili05

Chili05 Rookie

Jun 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Sang
    Looking for berlinetta, 6 speed. I have limited DIY skills so maintenance/repairs would be at a shop.
    I understand (at least intellectually) that the F355 performance will not be close to the GT3 and need to get some seat time to confirm that the the performance is enough while giving more of a driving experience in other ways that you and others have pointed out.

11. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    Excellent! I think you will love it. Best of luck (and fun) in your hunt!

12. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    This conversation inspired me to take both the GT4 and the F355 out for a drive yesterday.
    After 2 hours of back to back driving, my wife who came along (of course), looked at me and said: The Ferrari was so much better...
    Interesting from someone who was also driving on the track (964, 944S2, GT3 and 330ci BMW) including Watkins Glen...

MAD828 likes this.
  13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Well its a Ferrari.... Porsche's are great but.... yawn.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  14. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    I've owned both - with the Porsche, you can not drive it, let it sit in your garage and that is fine, maybe do an annual oil change, no biggie. With the 355, if you drive it or if you don't the maintenance clock does not stop so be prepared to be spending a lot more on maintenance vs the GT3

15. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    Agreed with the above, but my 996 needed new tires, brakes, fluids, new convertible top, RMS, clutch and a few more minor things...plus will need cats soon.
    It can add up with some P-cars too (used to have a 964 which needed targa top, engine rebuild, etc etc)

16. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I’ve owned a 996 TT and several 355s. You will never drive your 355 to its potential cause by that time the headache will kill you
    On the other hand, the 996 was made for the potential and the longevity minus the headache after 40 minutes of driving.

Anyways, you already have another Porsche so it’s not like you r totally giving it up. I would pull the trigger and do it as they are both cars with unique capabilities, requirements and aesthetics

good luck and drive safe

17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    +1, I wouldn't make that trade.

JDC PDX and tbakowsky like this.
  18. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Add the 355..but don't sell the gt3 for it.

19. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I have a 996 Turbo and just purchased my '97 355 GTS. Before the Ferrari I had a '74 Alfa Spider. I am absolutely loving the Ferrari so far. I moved the Porsche to my in-laws so I could get to know the Ferrari more and decide if I want to add a lift to my garage and keep the Porsche as well. It's only been a few days but I think I want to keep both. The driving experience is so different. The Ferrari is actually more comfortable, slower, and all-around worse car by almost every metric. But I can't stop looking at it and it's just a fantastic driver. The Porsche will be my canyon car and will probably be the car we take on date nights as I'm less worried about parking it in the city.

I will say I was surprised at how much less powerful the Ferrari feels vs the Turbo - but I live in Denver at altitude and n/a cars do struggle up here.

20. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    If people want power get a used viper. A classic Ferrari has nothing to prove especially measureing 1/4 mile weenies. Just looking at it is enough. People don't buy Dino's because their blistering 1/4 mile times.:)

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ThatFlyGuy, bcar1 and WATSON like this.
  21. Flash355

Flash355 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 10, 2018
    United Arab Emirates
    Full Name:
    James Thomas
    I have a 997.2 GT3 and an F355CH (and a Lancia Delta Integrale Evo2 daily driver). As others have said, very different propositions. The GT3 is a monstrously capable car, but still a true analog drive, that you can drive or not drive, pop to the shops, hammer round a track and, at the end, just do the annual scheduled maintenance without too much worry that it'll become a money pit/nightmare.
    The F355 by any of the above dimensions struggles to compete... by my god it's got heart and soul for days, is arguably even more analog and satisfying to drive at sensible speeds and, forget just looking back when you park it, you'll need to allocate an extra 10 minutes every time you get out of the thing to stop and gawp.

WATSON likes this.
  22. 355OXO

355OXO Karting

Apr 16, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon
    355 Ferrari has a soul, I can't put my finger on it but I had a 911 Turbo then a 328 GTS, then a 355 Ferrari, then a 911 Carrera S soft top, then a 355 Ferrari spider again, then a 360 F1 Ferrari Spider, and now I have an F355 Spider again.
    The GTS is probably a better car both on the road and track. But the 355 has a gated gearbox and a soul with an exhaust note that any petrol head will love. It is far slower than a GTS. But as I sit in my office now it is calling me out to the garage to drive it again.:)
    I always look back when the horse is parked in its stable, such a beautiful car.

ThatFlyGuy and Sancho22 like this.
  23. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio

I can understand thinking about a trade. A constant in our stable is a 355 Challenge and an AC 911. So far, water-cooled Porsches have come and gone. I do see myself getting an analog-ish (relative to ac 911 and bare bones 355 Ch) 7.1RS rally build at some point.

For weekend/backroads fun, I have found that taking the drive-slow-cars-fast approach (or “slower” in this case) has been more fun. Drive a F355; do a backroads run (if you can) to experience your intended usage.

24. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Forget the test drives.. the F355 tests you. Are you in love with it before even driving one? Will it be a dream fulfilled? If so, you'll forgive its quirks and enjoy the unmatched thrills it gives you in return.

If you're on the fence at all and asking others for advice, considering the performance etc.. this car is not for you. There are not many manual GTBs going around. Leave them for the people who have dreamed of one for decades. Or forget the rationalizing and ditch the Porsche and never look back... :)

MAD828 likes this.
  25. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    So true!

My first drive of an F355 after a 20 year wait was underwhelming to say the least. But I bought one anyway as I was in love and committed to the F355 before driving it. I have never regretted selling my 360 manual for my F355.