A gearstick where once there was none... | Page 5 | FerrariChat

A gearstick where once there was none...

Discussion in '612/599' started by brogenville, Jan 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    An ambitious price for a conversion with a repaint, but we shall see.

JLF and MRY like this.
  2. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    456-boy likes this.
  3. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
  4. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Robin- Easy, as long as you do not want one that runs.

5. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
  6. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Makuono and r0sco like this.
  7. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Great!! I wouldn't bother with the seam. Just make sure the surface-texture and color match the column-covers.

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Robin- Looks good. Only fine tuning required.

9. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
  10. smashersmith

smashersmith Rookie

Dec 2, 2017
    westcountry uk
    Full Name:
    joe
    well done for staying the course ,when do we get to see the photos and do you have an idea of how much this has cost?

11. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Happy to show photos of any part of the build. What do you wanna see?

Car runs perfectly- done well over 1000 miles since the conversion, and no issues to speak of.

Total cost is a slightly open ended question, as there’s aspects like the clutch and release bearing replacement that can be see as preventative maintenance items. I also did very well on some of the parts prices, as much by luck than anything else. Then again I’ve paid more than double the straight production costs for things like the clutch pedal, as I paid for 16 hours of a professional CAD designers time as well as the cost of a 3D printer and additional test parts for prototyping. My spreadsheet shows the total cost as £5639, including the items that are technically non essential, though I might have missed a few bits like tools and equipment I needed to buy. Call it £6k then. Having the CAD files, and knowing a few extra tips around parts crossover and potential shortcuts that you can take, then I think I could do it again fairly quickly and easily for £4k in parts. That’s not to say there isn’t a lot of work involved, but I would estimate I spent 10-20 hours R&D time for every hour spent turning spanners on the car. It was a fun project though, and I’m happy to help anyone else wanting to do the same.

Parts prices seem to be highly volatile though, by which I mean they seem to be constantly on the up, just at varying rates.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bundy and morebhp like this.
  12. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    This is (I think) version 5 of the inserts. I think its going to be very difficult for me to get much better than this without switching to an SLA (resin) printer rather than the FDM printer that I've currently got. Reason being that its a very fine edge need to print down to, which is causing a bit of warping. Still, I think they look ok, save for the little superglue mark I managed to leave on the right hand insert.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Makuono and 599_GTO like this.
  13. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    you don't really notice them when the steering wheel is on. I think just little sanding and paint..perfect. Great Job.

brogenville likes this.
  14. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    jg360 was reading my mind.

15. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    I had a thought. Are ensuring that these parts will get sticky in time to match the original Ferrari plastic pieces?

white out likes this.
  16. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    That’s an important consideration. I’ve been working on various self dissolving paints that whilst initially pleasing to the touch, should magically transform into a delightful black goo as the years pass. It’s something I’m really very proud of.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

white out, willrace, r0sco and 2 others like this.
  17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Robin- Make sure and patent that formula. Ferrari may pay you royalties in the future.

18. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    A guy asked me the other week what the difference between LHD and RHD pedals is; I think he may have thought that the two are interchangeable. Just thought I would share this image then; I'm converting my RHD clutch pedal design to suit LHD cars, so you can see how different the sweep is below. All other aspects around pedal function and interaction with other parts are the same.

I'm maybe getting a bit carried away with this all- I'm now making a reproduction of the gearbox control plate, as they're all out of them at Ferrari too. Quite fun reverse engineering it all. Can share photos of that too if anyone is remotely interested. :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

599_GTO and MRY like this.
  19. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
  20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Robin- I would love to see the photos.

21. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    So the process of reverse engineering the control plate starts with complete disassembly. The idea is to define all parts and source generic equivalents where possible. Where not possible, I’m taking measurements and reproducing in CAD. More complex parts get 3D scanned before going to CAD. All parts are tested by 3D printing in plastic before getting CNC machined.

Everything is done except from the reproduction cover plate. It’s actually quite a simple thing really, but no longer available from Ferrari. They’ve started trading hands for pretty silly money, but when this is done, the supply will be secured for anyone that wants one for a 575/612/599 manual conversion. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

white out, MRY, Pawilly and 2 others like this.
  22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Robin- That is pretty amazing.

23. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Maybe seems it, but in truth modern technology has made doing these things a lot easier. What I didn't mention too is that I forensically went through each part to look for where there is cross over with parts from the F1 actuator. The most interesting result from that is that that the little hardened steel rockers that actuate the gears are the same between both parts. I don't plan in trying to reproduce these then, as the idea is that the part would be available for people wanting to convert from F1 to manual, so they can take these bits from their existing F1 setup.

599_GTO likes this.
  24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Robin- Keep up the good work. Logical some of the high torque resistant fittings would be common between the two.

brogenville likes this.