Anyone have a new Giulia | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Anyone have a new Giulia

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by boxerman, Jan 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Ill echo the thoughts above. The brakes are excellent, but you need to get used to them, same with the steering. This car is not trying to ape some imgined fictional ideal of an anologue car some journalist never drove, it uses the tech to advance the experience in a way that the tech allows. Thats different to tech masking dynamics and nannying with tech.

At first the brakes felt too sensitive when going slow, and not "boosted enough" at speed Then your brain an miscle memory adjusts and it works great.
    Someone who knew what they were doing designed and enginered this car. Like all great talian vehicles you need to adjust to it, and when you do its all really makes sense, theres a linear transition between the two rates, you just need to learn it. If you take the wheels off you can see that car has awesome calipers and great discs. Compare that to a M3 which or any number of other fast sedans which will happily warp their rotors when used hard.

Auto journalist are a tryrany forcing all cars to the "norm" all cotrolls working and feeling the same, all placed the same way etc.

Even the infotainment on the alfa is imo excellent, its simple to use and evrything you need is right there. My wifes mercedes is a hodge podge of seemingly incoherant buttons and screens mostly taking a while to get vital info you might want as a driver.

There are 3 cars I drive with some regularity. the Alfa the elise and the BBI. Frankly the Alfa covers most of the bases most of the time.I no longer need to drive the other two to clear my brain from being mind numbed in an appliance or just to have fun, it makes the time driving them more focussed purposeful fun on the ocassions when I do though. The alfa, fun more of the time all the time because you can just grab the fun anytime while you're out and about and one spends far more time out and about than on a planned sunday early am blast in the elise or BBi.

The old M3s like the e36 were car that could do it all, and if you could only have one car they covered so many bases so well you were not missing much, this alfa is like that only better in terms of fun performance and relative comfort. Its what I thought the e46 m3 was going to be, but just never quite fully hit the spot.

I bought the Alfa because winter with snow salt cold and no "driving" was depressing, while thats when roads most clear, I started the winter car quest thinking of a Honda Type R or a WRX, neither of which felt like they hit the spot dynamicaly and felt cheap, but would have worked because in winter I would have been happy to drive.

I'm using the Alfa all the time cause its just so great.

classic308, -K1-, LightGuy and 2 others like this.
  2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    alfa and elise is best combo!

3. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I bought that car for a smidge more after they serviced it.
    Good to meet you Big tex.
    Ride home to DFW was great 90 mph average and 25 mpg.
    Rock solid yet supple.
    The car oozes character.
    Looking into all the availble mods.
    Exhaust valve remote high on the list.
    Perhaps X pipe to replace center resonator.
    May chip it if it doesnt void warranty.

4. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
  5. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #80 LightGuy, May 27, 2020
    Last edited: May 27, 2020
    Sorry not for 300 bucks.
    I'm King Of The Tightwads !

These cars come with scads of CF already.
    Wish the roof and hood were exposed with a UV proof clear coat.
    Should be a factory option. No brainer actually.
    Perhaps a CF rear trunk lid to complete the "stripe".

In my romantic mind kinda wished it had a manual transmission.
    In my logical mind I know one wouldn't be able to keep up manually with an 8 speed with this kind of HP.
    6 speed manual ?
    Who knows.

I have to say so far I'm completely in love with this car. It drives so smoothly yet firm. Power galore. Very good fuel milage.
    Wicked sound (but not like the V-8 M3's). I may ax the center resonator to replace with a magnaflow X pipe. The car comes stock with "straight through" exhaust via valves.
    Have no idea why customers buy expensive aftermarket exhausts.

So glad I didnt choose an F80 M3 like 90% of the people do.
    This car is unique. I like unique.
    Only the cognoscenti get it.
    Which is PERFECT for my needs !

Angelo Salonitis likes this.
  6. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    the exposed CF roof is an option for $2k on 2020 models now. should be a no cost option like on an F80 M3.

7. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Cf roof available on all giulia models now and not just qv? So much rather have sunroof than cf when its a tall sedan weighing almost 2 tons. No one will tell the difference weight driving it but sun and wind on nice day make it much nicer

8. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    no this is for the QV, there is no option for a CF roof on the regular Giulias just like you cannot get a sunroof on a QV.
    the CF roof was painted to the car color prior to 2020. Now you can opt to have the CF roof exposed, like an F80 M3

9. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Drove the car today -- AWD Sport Ti -- was totally smitten, I'm leasing one.

How are the standard headlights in the Giulia? Torn between two cars, one has the upgraded $700 headlights, but it also has the black rims, which I don't care for. The other has the bright rims but regular headlights, and I've seen some complaints about their lack of brightness. From what I've read the standard headlights are 25 watt bulbs, and the upgraded is 35 watts, but they have motors, too. More concerned about the brightness, as I do some late night driving.

10. 250californiafan

250californiafan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2006
    Shawnee, KS
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have the standard headlights on my Giulia which are more than adequate. My mom has a Stelvio with the upgraded headlights and I really don't see much of a difference other than the cornering function.

boxerman and vjd3 like this.
  11. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Interesting. Apparently the IIHS gave the Giulia very good safety ratings -- it did just fine on the crash testing -- but graded the standard headlights as "poor" in quality -- their worst rating (good, acceptable, marginal, poor). The upgraded ones graded as "good."

12. 250californiafan

250californiafan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2006
    Shawnee, KS
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    It looks like the main reason that it was rated poor was because they felt that the illumination when taking certain curves was not adequate. The only issue that they had with forward visibility was that they felt that forward visibility on the right side of the car with high beams on was inadequate. No issue with the low beams.

13. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I'll soon find out ... closing the deal today!

I have read that you can put a 35w bulb in the 25w housing and substantially improve the lights as the upgraded lights are 35 watts.

14. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Joined the club today.
    Pulled the trigger on a 2020 TI Sport, dk grey w red interior, blackout package + (mandatory, IMO) 5 hole alfa wheels.
    Wife was cross shopping A4, C300, 3 Series and put the Guilia into the mix after seeing and talking to a guy w a red one.
    NY based, loaded, 3 yrs, 12k miles $499/mo.
    I'm content, and ready to be thrilled.

15. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    Recently got a slightly used Q4 Ti, but sought out one with the performance pack. Initially, the justification was that it had the mechanical limited-slip differential (lsd), but the performance pack also brings the bumpy road suspension setting... So while the lsd might be good once in a while, the bumpy road suspension button is helpful a lot more often.

boxerman, Boomhauer and greg328 like this.
  16. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Fred, can you share the details on the lease ... via PM if you prefer ... list, cap cost, discount, cap cost reduction, incentives, drive off, etc.? I have a deposit on this very loaded 2020 AWD Sport Ti ... but the sales/lease process has been somewhat bizarre and I want a reality check. Some of the numbers don't make any sense to me. Money factor is a very low .00015.

A little unsure about the Monte Carlo blue color, but love the tan interior. Also the dealer you used, if you don't mind.

Sticker is $56,930, it has the Sport package, active driver assist, Ti leather package, Sport performance package, Harmon Kardon, and the sunroof.

The buffeting from the sunroof is pretty impressive ... not sure I'd ever open it. But easily the best sedan I've driven, what a hoot. Much better than the MB, BMW, Audi, Jag and Maserati.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #92 LightGuy, Jun 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    I like that color.
    For a smidge more you can get a like new low mile QV.
    Just sayin'

These guys are supposed to do the best deals on new cars according to many forums.
    https://www.alfaromeousaofstrongsville.com/?utm_source=cargurus.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=cargurus_listings

18. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    They came down almost $10k off MSRP so I closed on it today. A QV would be tempting but needed the AWD for the winter.

Thanks for the tip on Strongsville, wonder if they would have done a bit better ;) but at least locally I don't have to hassle with registering the car, arranging shipping, etc.

boxerman likes this.
  19. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    ((The buffeting from the sunroof is pretty impressive ... not sure I'd ever open it.))

Picking up the car Friday. Looked on Weathertech site but they don't make a sunroof wind deflector for the Guilia yet.

1-10. How bad is the buffeting? 7?

Anybody got a line or any FHE w a good one?

20. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    ((For a smidge more you can get a like new low mile QV.
    Just sayin'))

Yeah, but they updated the UI + screen size on the 2020s...and no Quad sunroof.

Car will spend 1/2 it's time in FL so sunroof is appealing.

21. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Oh, maybe a 6 or so, it but was a little windy here. Car is wonderful, just took delivery this morning and put a couple hundred miles on her. Thanks for your help, too!

Here is an entertaining thread on the Giulia forum with people posting things they didn't know about their cars until living with them for a while.

https://www.giuliaforums.com/threads/whats-one-thing-about-the-giulia-you-didnt-know-about.31057/

22. Gregc57

Gregc57 Rookie

Apr 3, 2019
    LI, NY, USA
    Full Name:
    Gregory M. Condemi
    I bought a new '18 ~ 2 years ago. Non-QV. I have ~ 25k miles on it and it's been a real pleasure to drive. I'm still very high on these. Only oil changes, a couple software updates, and O2 sensors replaced to sort out the odd 'check engine' light that would appear and go away a few months into ownership. I didn't want, and didn't get a sun roof. Happy with that decision to this day.
    Highly recommended. Enjoy yours!

Attached Files:

vjd3 likes this.
  23. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Really debating on adding a QV to the garage right now between it and a 991.2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryalex likes this.
  24. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Do you have other cars? The Quad and 991.2 are quite different.

25. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Yes still have a F430 and wrangler unlimited in the fleet