Ansa exhaust replacement | FerrariChat

Ansa exhaust replacement

Discussion in '206/246' started by HMB-Dino, Jun 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    It's finally time to replace my old original Ansa exhaust on my 71 (Euro M-series) 246GT. It's developed numerous small holes which accentuate the burble produced when decelerating...to the point I can not accept. My understanding is that Ansa no longer exists but there are 1-2 vendors who produce an Ansa clone based on original specs. One of them is Classique Exhausts, another is Ansa Classics (Italy).

So what exhausts are people recommending for an owner that wants to retain originality...another words, I don't want to hear about Tubi or other types of aftermarket exhausts.

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    No experience on Dino's per se, but for what it's worth, I have installed few reproduction ANSA muffler/tail pipe sets on Daytonas.
    None have been good fit right-out-the-box or without requiring reforming, etc mods, some more, some less and all seem to be made with fair number of non-authentic details/features.

OTOH, the last set of NOS U.S.-market headers (for Daytona) I installed required quite a bit of corrections also ...

3. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    A colleague of mine forwarded to me an email a couple of months ago from a friend in the Midwest that he has a new NOS Ansa exhaust that he wanted to sell. If you PM me, I’ll give you his email address. Here are the photos that were in the email. I don’t know anything more about it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #4 synchro, Jun 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    New Ansa exhaust seem to cost over $4000 USD now, and you must ensure you purchase the correct one to fit your Dino. I've restored 2 of these and you have the option of repairing a unit that you know fits your Dino and is original. I suggest welding up the holes in the exhaust and restoring what you have if possible.

The body canisters are the majority of the unit and all I have seen are stainless steel (sorry, not sure about your M) so the holes will typically be located only on the areas aft of the canisters along the outflow pipe made of mild steel (see photo)
    Perhaps take a magnet and see if any of your unit is stainless steel too, I'll bet the canisters are.

The last tips I had chromed cost under $300 and ceramic coating the rest of the body in black with prep blasting and welding repairs was well under $1200

Keep in mind that the exhaust tips have carbon build up and many chroming shops will not perform this task because it takes a serious toll on their nickel tank. They usually are using a flow system so small batches are not isolated. After a long search was very happy with this shop
    "Show Quality Metal Finishing"
    http://www.metlfin.com/

Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 2956175 Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

racerboy9 likes this.
  5. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Ron, I sent you a PM.

6. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hello OP. this subject came up in the Maserati sub forum a while ago regarding Ghibli exhausts.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ghibli-quad-tip-exhaust.363439/#post-141459774

timevalve in Florida produced a lovely looking copy in stainless, I think they have some standard Ferrari patterns also. it may be worth a phone call to see if they could copy yours in mild steel.

Hope that may be of some help to you.

all the very best

Mark.

7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I have only heard great things about Timevalve. They can make perfect Ansa reproductions lacking only the ID plate

8. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Any idea if the sound is the same/very close to an original Ansa? My mechanic recalls hearing from others that it's different.

9. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I have a timevalve system, looks accurate, fits good and sounds great (similar to ANSA)

10. 246328458

246328458 Karting

Feb 13, 2017
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    246 SAH
    Hi,

I went through this process 3 years ago. Bought several options and undertook very minor modifications, till I got the sound I wanted. I removed the original system off the car which is a 73 US Spec, it had never been touched by human hands! I ended up with:
    1. Stainless Steel headers (euro spec, floating flange, no emissions equipment), from Superformance in the UK
    2. Original ANSA muffler box, (mild steel, floating flange), purchased in the USA at huge cost and freighted to me).
    3. Heat shields euro spec for a 73.
    4. Reused all mounting brackets with new bolts.
    5. Replacement was an engine out project.

No issues in 3 years and sounds great. Happy to send you photos if you need more info. By the way, there is nothing wrong with a Tubi but they are all made of Stainless Steel so that will never sound like a mild steel solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    What I want is a direct replacement without any mods required to make it fit. Since I've tried to keep my Dino accurate/correct wherever possible, the same goes for a replacement for my holey...:(...Ansa exhaust. The Timevalve system is a SS system and there's approximately a 2 month backlog, at least for an M-series unit.

12. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    You can have Ansa Classic Italy make you a original pattern exhaust in either stainless quality or mild steel. I bought an L-series exhaust in mild steel from them and the fit was perfect. Only regret is that I didn't buy the stainless steel version. By the way, I would never recommend to restore old mild steel exhaust system....Corrosion in exhaust systems is a battle you can never win, repairing is a waste of time and money if you ask me.

https://www.okp.de/xtc2/Ansa/30-Auspuffanlagen/Hinten:::14897_14898_15574.html

Best, Peter

Nuvolari and 246328458 like this.
  13. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Ron, did you contact the gentleman with the NOS Ansa for sale? It looked like it could be a Euro version based on the photo.

14. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
  15. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Can you elaborate on the mods required?

So far I have Ansa Classic $2500 shipped, Timevalve at approx $1950 shipped. No price yet from Classiche.

16. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
    HMB-Dino,

Not sure what the mods were exactly, but my mechanic said that the exhaust did not fit out of the box. It may be related to the fact that my car was previously fitted with a Tubi exhaust which sounded fantastic but was not well liked by concourse judges :)

Eugene

17. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I had a similar experience a few years back. Needed some minor rewelding to get the pipes to hang properly.

18. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Mark, I don't recall if you have an M-series or E-series (Euro or USA?). Also, what brand/source was the exhaust you had put on?

19. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Euro E-series. The brand is Ansa, I believe Ansa Classic Italy, cost was around $2500 (in 2013), with a couple of hundred tacked on for fitting. Looking at the invoice, there was a little trouble fitting the pipe to one of the exhaust header flanges, and the tailpipes weren't perfectly centered and leveled, so some fettling was required.

20. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Any updates on what you decided on?

BTW, Headers seem to always have to be man-handled on install, probably the nature of heat expansion on metal.

I removed my headers from Dino 05082 then sent hem out to be prep'ed and ceramic coated. Upon re-installing they did not fit by almost half an inch across distant studs. I used a "header tourniquet", installed the centered studs first and worked outwards to fit them, pulling the outlying tube in. It eventually all gets installed but it is a bit of effort. All OEM coming off the same car and going back the same way