Lost all gear oil today, 1991 Testarossa | Page 38 | FerrariChat

Lost all gear oil today, 1991 Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by PA32Pilot, May 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Nice work Jamie and all the technical gurus.

xplodee and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  2. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Put the exhaust back on and let her warm up to temp. Took her for a drive and about 5 miles in I could smell oil burning so I stopped.

Turns out I didn’t clean the exhaust off enough after the side cover split. After about another 10 miles the smell went away.

Could not hear any gear noise.
    Transmission shifted just as I remembered.
    I can 100% tell the difference in the car, especially low speed turns.

Driver her around for 25 miles, just in circles around the neighborhood.

Tomorrow I am going to remove wheels and test all torqued bolts. It’s easy with my torque checker paint I put.

I cannot thank this forum enough.

Turbo-joe, you need to work on your sleeping schedule but without you I wouldn’t be lost.

Versamil you made parts just for me, your awesome. Our hours on the phone going over differentials really helped me wrap my head around it.

Jeff, local FChat Testarossa owner, you saved the day by GIVING me your limited slip internals.

Everyone else that helped I cannot thank you enough. I hope one day I can repay the favor.

Implant I drove her another 30ish miles then drain the gearbox and inspect for metal.

paulchua, Justicepool, JoeTSI and 9 others like this.
  3. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    The linkage. Maybe it’s just how Testarossa shift but it has always felt notchy getting into 1st from 2nd or 3rd.

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    getting from 2nd or 3rd into 1st during the car is rolling always takes some "feeling". but when the car is standing then you may have no problem

my sleeping schedule here in thailand is totally different than at home. that is why I could help you mostly just right in time also because of the time difference. but I´m sure if I would not help you there are othe rmembers here also to help you. I also got much help from others here in this great forum. but it is always good not listen to too many helpers, otherwise you will get confused if one is saying other than the other one. that is why I not help when there are already others helping except I got question how to do what

compliment jamie: you have been fast with repairing. I think if you would have bring the car into a shop it will not be finished now

enjoy the driving jamie and give the car to your mom next week on the 19th - 1 month after her bday ;)

when you now not loose gearboxoil on the left cover again may you have no oil inside :) :) :)

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

Most that are installed are not home-installed and if someone wants to take on the project themselves thats great but they should expect some bumps along the way. Is it my responsibility to ease that process? I help more than most other suppliers and make trips to fedex to lend shims whether its a shop or private individual and all I ask is they cover shipping and exchange the shims one for one. Ever try to get technical support from Trutlands, Ferrparts, Eurospares or the Ferrari dealer you buy parts from?

Again, you're making a big deal out of nothing and what does rebuilding a ferrari engine in 78 have to do with shimming a diff? I agree bearings vary, not wildly but within an acceptable range just like every other part in the gearbox. So if I bought a bearing cup that was 5/10ths larger in OD than the one I removed are you suggesting I buy several and select that one that's closest? Thats an expensive proposition and you would look like a fool at the bearing store. You said its important people verify that dimension and I say its not and Ill go so far to say anyone else that actually does this for a living will side with me.

mechaniker, m5shiv and xplodee like this.
  6. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Congratulations, Jamie. I've read all 38 pages of this saga, and it has been a fascinating story, not only for what you accomplished but for the help you received along the way from fellows around the world.

7. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Yes thank you for getting me those shims out so fast! I think they showed up the next day lol.

Newman and turbo-joe like this.
  8. Brock71

Brock71 Rookie

Jun 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Bob Bracnaro
    How are you Shamile,

I am very sorry to use this post to get in touch with you, as I couldn't figure out how to message you. Your friend tpamurci on **********.com told me that I should message you to get help for my e-gear problem that tpamurci said reminded him of your problems that you once gad with e-gear. He told me that you did ultimately find the issue and have it fixed, after a lot of time and money; and that it ended up being something really silly and simple but was hard to find. I would greatly appreciate it if you could please message me on this forum to discuss this. Thanks so much, and stay safe and strong during this difficult time--Bob

MOSS likes this.
  9. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Yes, that is a 5 grand fix.

10. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    or just pull the dash yourself which isnt too hard and will save a ton of expensive labor.

when the evap does go out, what parts on it fail and are the replaceable? Or do you have to find the whole box? I would assume its just the expansion valve that fails.

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Its sold as a complete box with evap and blower motor which is NLA. You would need to find a used one or reinvent it.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  12. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Those lines going in are metal instead of aluminum and fill up with corrosion.

xplodee likes this.
  13. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I assume this corrosion can damage the expansion valve? Is it possible to clean the expansion valve and replumb the box using aluminum tubing? I recall threads here of people discussing that the evaporator components can be repaired and replaced, you just have to break open the box and mend it back together afterwards.

14. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Tim I would need to ask Michael how he replaced those steel fittings. Out of 4 Tr cars this was the first to need A/c work but Its so much nicer now that it is done. He said they all end up doing it. I bet the 3/4 dia holes were down to 3/8 inch of opening left with all that rust in it. We put R12 back in too.

xplodee and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  15. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
  16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what please have the last posts all to do with the "lost all gear oil today"? :(

17. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    The post came to a close as the TR is repaired and on the road. I don't understand why people get so up tight when a thread drifts and returns
    back if necessary. Its simply TR repairs and you can see how it changed briefly. Very respectable guys were a part of it as well. I'm more concerned
    about COVID virus than a brief thread change of subject. Cheers brother.

18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    hahaha
    you know how many people daily die because of infection in hospital?
    how many people because of a normal flu?

if some one has not a good health or a bad immune system then this one has to die earlier than others. this is natural. it makes no sense because of this covid 19 to shut down all. the result you see already: a lot of bussines owner going bankrupt and the economic damage is much more worse than the covid ever would be. but sorry, wrong thread here now ;)

19. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I guess you see my point then. I am not the slightest bit worried.

turbo-joe likes this.
  20. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #945 Mr.Chairman, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    That is so out of line. Shamile has been nothing but upstanding in this forum and then there is you saying what everyone else is thinking. Arent you a f*cking genius. Don't speak for me or assume what I am thinking and who the f*ck are you to tell someone to leave. Your an a**hole. There I said it. Happy. Oh.. you know.. you know nothing. The only thing you have is your suspicion. Its like your brain dead. Makes we wonder if you made your own money or did you inherit. My guess? Inherit. See how messed up it is when you get attacked on a forum? You get no respect if you don't give it.

R

21. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    And he was still driving the car all the way until he sold the car. Without something outwardly indicating they diff was bad or going bad he could not have known. I would give him the benefit of the doubt. I remember one time when I had a 944 turbo and the radiator was leaking and I got it repaired. Six months later sold the car and the day after the buyer called and said the radiator is bad and did you try to hide this.. it’s an fn used old car period. I guess to be fair Shamiles should have offered a 12 month/ 12k mile bumper to bumper warranty.

MOSS likes this.
  22. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #947 Mr.Chairman, Aug 14, 2020
    The loss of fluid was fresh. There is no evidence on the original pic that shows there was a existing leak. There is always a sign of residual fluid, build up or evidence of a recent clean up. It happened. Unfortunate yes but this guy is making Shamile out to be a scammer and I don't like that. My guess? It was a ticking time bomb or IF transported maybe something happened while vehicle was tied down. They usually strap the wheels down. Maybe a sudden stop caused some pressure on the gear box if left in gear.

R

Zeff likes this.
  23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    never possible that then the diff will break

those bombs all tr´s are

Zeff and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  24. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Hell the car had like 75,000 miles or something like that. I imagine there are a lot of things thinking about going South. If you buy a 75k TR then accept what comes with it. Get your checkbook out. Just be sure and make a deal that fits the situation and don't ***** when you have to write the check.

Zeff and BOKE like this.
  25. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

#950 Natkingcolebasket69, Aug 14, 2020
    To be fair- Tim is a very smart and wise entrepreneur and I think most are gentlemen here. He is super skilled .
    As far as ur opinion some other share ur views, some shared Tim’s on that thread, some do think maybe things could have been handled differently... doesn’t matter really... the OP is fine with it, fixed the car and voila.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbo-joe likes this.