Cavallino Classic - 2021 | FerrariChat

Cavallino Classic - 2021

Discussion in 'Events Discussion' started by Rossocorsa1, May 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    It's always exciting when details start being announced for the Cavallino Classic, one of my favorite weeks of the year. It will be a welcome retreat after the kind of year we've been experiencing.

https://www.cavallinoclassic.com

2. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Already booked my room. As you said, something to look forward to.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Will be interesting to see if USA let's foreign tourists in or not early 2021.
    And if there are any flights at all from Europe to MIA.

Marcel Massini

4. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    As for now, things are relaxing significantly throughout the US. Unless there is a significant outbreak in the virus numbers, I suspect travel into the US from Europe will resume long before a January.

LARRYH likes this.
  5. Tilltap

Tilltap Rookie

Mar 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Timothy Tilley
    Any Ferrari clubs doing any activities yet? Bentley San Diego did a run two weekends ago. Cigars and cars are where it’s at!

6. Tilltap

Tilltap Rookie

Mar 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Timothy Tilley
    Never been to the Cavallino classic. Just booked our room.

What is the best airport to fly into for the breakers hotel?

Any rental Ferrari’s down there?
    Other rookie mistakes I can avoid?

7. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Palm Beach international Airport (PBI). Money talks so I’m sure you can find a Ferrari rental somewhere.

8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Great to hear. Here’s one you may want to check out, though I know nothing about them;

http://www.westpalmbeachexoticcarrentals.com/

PBI is definitely the better airport to fly into if you can.

Aside from the Saturday concours, in my opinion, the “must attend”’event is the Thursday morning symposium. It’s a spectacular opportunity to examine three of the very best cars that will be at the show up close, hear from their owners, restorers and historians, and visit with other very passionate Ferrari fans.

The front cricket court has the most spectacular vintage cars, but don’t ignore the incredible cars on the whole fairway. Regardless of the model/era/year, you’ll see only the best of the best there.

Two of my favorite restaurants are Flagler’s Steakhouse and the Palm Beach Grill. Make reservations long in advance for Friday or Saturday because they’re very popular.

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The 2021 featured cars are not announced yet, correct?

I wonder if there will be anything at the track as 2020 was pretty dead.

10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Featured cars are usually announced around September.

I know many bemoan the dying aspect of the track days. As I understand, that was a very exciting part of Cavallino week at one time. Still, times have changed and many owners of multi million dollar Ferrari’s, particular those that have been beautifully restored, are reluctant to risk them on the track, understandably. The highlight of Cavallino week is the concours on Saturday, without question.

LARRYH likes this.
  11. Tilltap

Tilltap Rookie

Mar 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Timothy Tilley
    Thank you all for your experienced advice.

12. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Anyone know what the cut off for the cars that are about 10 years old will be? I'd like to bring my 2011 599 GTO

LARRYH likes this.
  13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Any Ferrari can apply for showing on the show lawn regardless of age, but must be accepted to do so. To be judged, a car must be at least 10 years old, though I’m not certain if that’s “model year” or “production date”. I would contact them directly for clarification. [email protected]

14. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    While it is understandable, it is indeed unfortunate. 20+ years ago I read an article in PH or Cavallino on the same subject that had the line "while values have increased, restoration costs haven't", as an argument in favor of taking a classic Ferrari out onto the track, and I think the same holds reasonably true today. Of course it's easier for me to say, those aren't my cars, I get that.

Of course people don't have to drive them like they stole them, be responsible and respect the car by all means, but it's sad to think the turnout at PBIR during Cavallino is poor.

I haven't been to Cavallino since 2003 when I lived in FTL, keep meaning to re-visit and things keep coming up. Maybe this spring?

15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

I hope you get a chance to attend in January. If you asked me two months ago I would have thought for certain there would be a show, however, now I'm far from certain. The same goes for Amelia Island and Pebble Beach in 2021.

16. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Agreed, not looking promising. Time will tell and all we can do is be hopeful. At least Cavallino 2020 was able to happen, unlike so many other events...

17. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    One of the themes for Amelia Island 2021 will be 275 GTB's in all forms.
    So far I know there will be at least one 275 GTB/C (Series II), the Henn 06885, Wexner's 06701, a NART Spider, a gorgeous steel bodied 4-cam, and possibly the third of the 3 Speciales as well. Plus naturally a short nose, a long nose, a 2-cam, another 4-cam, and some race 275's as well.
    It is a fantastic idea, once again coming from the super enthusiastic and extremely well connected Bill Warner.

Marcel Massini

18. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I hope we’re all able to enjoy this.

19. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Glad to see they are moving forward with the show. I hope it stays on course.

20. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Specifically related to Covid, I’m curious to hear thoughts on attending the Cavallino Classic in January.

- Absolutely not
    - Too early to tell
    - I may attend but won’t be showing a car

21. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    For those in Europe who regularly attend Cavallino, are you planning to this coming January?

22. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Europeans are still banned from the U.S.
    We simply cannot travel to USA anymore, since many months already.
    I do not think we will be able to travel to USA in the next six or more months. Whatever happens at the presidential election on 3rd November 2020. And Cavallino 30 would be in about 4 months from now.
    Cavallino 30 in January 2020 will be without any Europeans.
    I suggested to postpone #30 to 2022. That would be much much better, I think.
    I also believe that Amelia Island in March 2021 cannot be visited as an European. Swiss, in my case, to be more precise.
    But, would I want to fly 12 hours to USA and wearing a mask all the time? No.

Marcel Massini

TTR likes this.
  23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    This makes me sad.