Maserati Khamsin | Page 330 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    They will help you with that. Of course you will need the Euro diff ratio as we discussed on the phone the other day. I encourage you to go 100% to Euro spec, down to every detail, don't let anyone soften your resolve, your driving pleasure will only be greater with the final result:)

boralogist likes this.
  2. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    the biggest thing is diff ratio. Simply read the owner’s manual it lists speed at various rpms with axle ratios. US ratio makes the engine very busy above 80 mph. Remember Maserati V8s aren’t exactly high reving engines.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  3. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    K OM --- for a 3.31:1 euro FD gives the following values.
    Is there another table for a US diff I am not familiar with?

Thanks.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    BTW---As I am not aware of such a table---in case somebody is interested---just calculated the values based on the assumption that the US K had the Kyalami's final drive of 3.54:1.
    In other words, multiply the RPMs in above table by 1.0695 for any given speed.

Time to upgrade this K to the standards of my Factory Euro Bora...

Thanks for all your help, especially to Marc.

5. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    P$ Please disregard my prior post; just discovered that the US final drive is 3.77:1
    A WHOPPING 13.9% percent RPM increase over euro spec.
    Fascinating!
    This is going to be a lot of fun!

6. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Useful table.
    Two comments:
    - a 3.54 as fitted for US, or worse a 3.77, is obviously not suited to the 4.9 V8 as revs will be too high in final gear...
    - what is the value of the "oversize coefficient" at high speeds?

7. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    33guana and pilotoCS like this.
  8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8233 Nembo1777, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    Ahah it re-emerges! Yes 1272.

Its owner, a very reclusive, secretive man had kindly allowed me to photograph it near Udine, extreme northeast Italy, in October 2007. This is one of my absolute favorite Khamsins as I love fly yellow and it had an owner years ago near Spokane Washington -yes these cars travel as much as Russian courtesans:)- who really enjoyed it with gusto: Dick Denson. He was the first to have his car converted by MIE to Euro bumpers as well as Euro exhaust headers. The current owner said Denson had the car titled in the name of a friend because his wife nagged him for having too many cars LOL.

Only 7 K's were built in fly yellow, all of them USA models and several of them have been color changed so this and 1046 ex Riverside museum, driven by Jay Leno in his show (now in Colorado) and 1230 awaiting restoration in a Berlin warehouse (the Car & driver photoshoot article cover car) are left to my knowledge. 1142 the famous T top black car was another of those born giallo fly.

Here some of my photos of October 2007. I was in Geneva then and was asked to go to a meeting of another kind of car near lake Garda, I was not keen but when I saw that it was not far from Udine...I pounced!:)!
    The car was full of dust and I started spit cleaning it so the mechanics laughed and gave me a bucket and spunge. I don't like cleaning cars but in this case it was like washing a leggy blonde Goddess:)! I had always dreamt to seeing a fly yellow one in the flesh and there it was: I overheated my camera:)

The red line at the belt line is of course not original. The car had a clever idea: shorter door stops so the doors would not touch even when opened in a slope or high wind.
    Last I communicated with its owner he had mentioned that he had moved it to the UK but I had not heard of it since. You can see it still has its Italian plates.

Yep one of my favorites, thank you for posting the article AMLC:)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 4950769

33guana, MK1044 and AMLC like this.
  9. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Marc...

I came across a few photos of 1046 when I notified Doug Magnon (Riverside Museum) of the car being for sale in Knoxville TN in 2005...
    At the time it was still in US spec (at least as far as the bumper were concerned). The car was previously owned by an Eye Doctor in Oak Ridge, TN...
    I did the pre-purchase inspection for Doug prior to his purchase of it.. At any rate, if the current owner would like copies of these pictures, please
    have him contact me and I will e-mail them to him.. I have attached one of them here!

Mike

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8235 Nembo1777, Jun 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Hi Mike!

I hope you and your wife are well, nice to be in the countryside during this surreal time right? I enjoyed the peace and quiet. Yes I recall that you had inspected it for Doug. That car, AM120US1046, was sold new to Russel Deem of Mount Clements Michigan along with AM120US1030 the light blue car which he ordered cut into the well known one off Spyder by Gary Forbis in Port Huron, also Michigan. He and his wife did not take part in any events, stayed under the radar.

Eventually he offered the pair to Ed Waterman of Motorcar gallery, Ed bought both in December 1986 but sold 1046 instantly in the northern US so it did not get trucked down to Florida. Then that owner or an intermediate one sold it to the man who had it when you inspected it.

One of those owners went to a track day at VIR (Virginia International Raceway) that fabulous old fashioned road course where he let a pro driver try it and the man loved it, got used to the brakes in no time at all and was really very highly impressed by it. It does have brilliant handling and those brakes do not fade.

Doug got the bumper conversion done and I was so happy that when I suggested to Jay Leno he try a K and try this one he liked the idea, when I was at Leno's garage in April of 2013 for the recording on my 2013 book Doug was there with his fiancee as I was staying with them in Riverside so I introduced them and in early May, sadly one day after I flew back home to Europe they did the video. Last time I saw Doug who dropped me at LAX in his Fiat 500 Abarth with an Italian nickname. I was very happy about that particularly with a great color such as that and as of this minute 604000 peeople have watched that video, making it the most famous K in the world. That is wonderful because it has helped more people discover them and among those are people who will buy and thus preserve one.

Jay's video was excellent I just wish he would go into the hills to sample and illustrate the handling of the cars whereas Burbank is all flat and straight but that would mean far more production time.

Of course after Doug's extremely premature passing from cancer in 2015 the family and his wife sold off all the cars -20 plus Maseratis and all the rest- via RM Sotheby's but all I know is Peter Wallmann then head of RM Europe told me the car went to Colorado, I am not in touch with the owner. However in preparing KHAMSIN CINQUANTA (Europe, June 2022) I will reach out as much as possible to every K owner out there so will hopefully locate him this year.
    We can then offer your photos to him or her, I am sure they will appreciate them.

Here is a photo of Doug with the car I took in April 2013 in the Riverside museum.

11. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    Nembo1777 and 71Satisfaction like this.
  12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello John,

Grazie for posting, this one I don't recognize at all, never saw it before. Most interesting unless it is a Northwest car that has changed livery dramatically...did you see if it was five speed or automatic? Also if you see it again FYI on USA models (only) the Vin can be read on a tin plaque atop the dashboard right at the base of the windshield, specifically so that authorities can note it. It will say AM120US1___ the three missing numbers are key.

I am sure Frank knows it or at least knows of it?

What about you Roger, anything?

13. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello Marc

the only US-car with golden rims is 1254, but that one is supposedly in Belgium, and white not black...?

Regards, Roger

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Roger, yes 1254 which I saw years ago there, and it would certainly not have gone back to the US. K's travel east across the Atlantic not west the pattern is very clear and they are undervalued more in the US than Europe so no one in the US in his right mind would go to Europe and bring back....a US K. A Euro version yes there were 2 or three in period.

So this black car is a new one, great let's see if Frank knows it if not I will contact MIE since it is close. Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hi Marc

The only other black/tan US-car I have, was sold in St. Louis, Missouri in 1997, 5-speed, apparently a 1975 car with 26'000 miles then.
    But no pictures of it. Info is from an advertisement in Classic & Sportscar October issue.

16. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    New hitherto unknown car in Japan

Posted in February this year, so fairly recent info.
    Belongs to a large and quite exclusive car and bike collection, obviously very secretive, so no info on its location or owner.
    Early car without ventilation slats.

What a pity we do not have more infos on serial numbers of japanese cars.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

MK1044 likes this.
  17. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    #8242 AMLC, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    Beautiful car, in a very special colour.

Did you see this: https://www.instagram.com/heelandtoeblog/
    A German Khamsin in Italy, probably photos from last year. I do not know the VIN.

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8243 Nembo1777, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    Since the front bumper has been fully painted...jade black/extremely dark green whatever you want to call it and I do not recall any car in Japan in such color I strongly believe this was color changed.
    As mentioned here before I did get the help of Japanese lady based in Milan and working in automotive public relations to contact a number of Japanese Khamsin owners, we did contact quite a few of those we could identify and most provided their chassis number but Japan is culturally very private. Wonder who this is, there is even a big bore sngle seater car there, impressive.

19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery

Owned by a British car designer living in Germany. I had messaged him on his Insta feed a few months ago asking which K this is and he said Marc it is me:)
    Met him at Villa Erba concours some years ago.

Built May 74, sold new to a man in Bologna July 74. It had various owners in italy until May 2003 when a German dealer called Neuser imported it. It was red at some point and the interior had been color changed but is now back to original black. A client from the Munich area bought it and a few years later the current owner acquired it. PS: It was not sold or represented by Graeme Hunt the London dealer he just visited him with the car, these photos are from years ago. Yes like quite a few others he travels through Europe with it. That is what they are made for, not concours lawns:)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

MK1044 likes this.
  20. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    #052 looks very good!
    At first I thought the Heelandtoeblog photos were from a few days ago, when they were posted. But I don't think it is possible yet to travel from Germany to Italy at least not via Switzerland (reopening planned for June 15?).

21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I think they are from last year...correct for Ch but I think French German border has been open for sometime.

22. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    It isn't that dark a color, here another picture more close up, but you are probably right, that it was repainted.
    Tinted glass on the rear, I think a wooden steering wheel. Can you make out more details from the engine bay?

23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Engine bay looks good, not concours extreme but better than most. The quilted plastic covers are missing from the wheelarches, I wonder what impact that has on road noise. The original ones must have been in poor shape which tends to indicate the car was in sorry condition at one point....unless the owner decided he wanted them off... Color could be verde pino but yes I think it is a repaint. Interior recently redone. I just asked my contact in Japan if he knows about it.

24. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    maybe it helps to know the same collector also owns a Rothmans Porsche 962C, several Toyota 2000 GT including one cabrio replica etc...

25. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Right now the President of the Japanese Maserati club has kindly asked its members on their own forum. If that fails to help then I know someone in the US who has brokered huge classic car deals in Japan with the biggest collections, he has lived there part of his life...Yes if need be I will point that out.