500 calories just in case you were wondering | FerrariChat

500 calories just in case you were wondering

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Randyslovis, Jun 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    This is purely fluff/tongue in cheek.

Years ago when the 458 spider came out there were a gazillion posts about how much heavier it was than the Italia. Clearly this HAD to lead to "vastly" diminished performance. And it did. I think it was as much as a 1/2 second around Fiorano. Sorry if I was un-impressed then and now.

However, if weight is that big an issue, I suggest that the cheapest weight reduction going forward is the driver's!

I use a Myzone exercise tracker. It simultaneously monitors heart rate, calories burned, and tells you what percent of your maximal heart rate you are at.

One day after spinning (and still wearing the Myzone belt) I decided to wax my car. I typically use Griot's spray-on ceramic or their carnauba wax. Both have to be removed before drying, so you end up working quickly. When I was done I saw that I had burned a fair number of calories. I wasn't sure if it was a fluke as I was still cooling down from an hour spinning. So today, with no prior exercise activity I put it on. I then went out and did the carnauba wax. Lo and behold 500 calories burned. '

So for those of you who abhor exercise, go wax your car! It actually gives you a great workout. I actually got my heart rate up to 80% of maximum at one point.
    For those of you who do like to workout but don't feel like doing your usual activity, go wax your car. It is likely just as good!

Best

Shadowfax, rob5819, daflk and 3 others like this.
  2. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Ironically I was putting on the Griot's 3 in 1 ceramic wax last night and today. Did the 2 coats per the instructions. I was sweating each time and was wondering how many calories I was burning. Looks like close to 1,000 calories :)

Randyslovis likes this.
  3. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    I love that ceramic spray! I now use it like I did their spray on wax. Goes on and off so easy. Ideally it isn't supposed to go on over wax (per Griot's) for optimal staying power. Something I couldn't care less about. I just love a freshly "waxed" car so I wax just for fun - or exercise!

Best
    Randy

ridege55 likes this.
  4. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Totally agree. First time using this and very happy with the results. I usually wipe the car down after every drive. I can see using this instead of the blue detail spray (which I usually use). Seeing how my alcohol consumption has gone up over the last 2 months, I need to do more detailing. I guess I need to do more driving also!

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Agree. Exercise can go a long way in reducing more weight out of a car than a set of cup holders or glove box liner.

6. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm pretty sure that the reason the coupe is 1/2 second faster isn't only due to the weight. It also has faster shifting, a stiffer chassis, and a lower center of gravity.
    Small differences, but definitely noticeable (by some).

7. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    It’s also more boring

8. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX