The Worlds Greatest Concours d’Elegance | FerrariChat

The Worlds Greatest Concours d’Elegance

Discussion in 'Events Discussion' started by Rossocorsa1, Jun 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Concours (attending/competing) are a passion on mine. Below are listed the generally recognized greatest concours in the world. I’ve attended Pebble Beach and Cavallino each multiple times. I’d love to hear from those who’ve attended some/all and hear impressions about what makes them unique and special.

- Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance

- Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance

- Cavallino Classic Concours d’Elegance

- Salon Privé Concours d’Elegance

- Concours d’Elegance Hampton Court Palace

- Chantilly Arts & Elegance

- Goodwood Cartier Style St Luxe Concours d’Elegance

- Concorso d”Eleganza Villa d’Este

pilotoCS likes this.
  2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Of the ones listed, I've only ever attended the Cavallino on a few occasions. The Atlanta and Boca Raton Concours aren't in the same class. Should Hilton Head (which I have not attended) be on the list?

(You have a typo: the Goodwood concours is Style et Luxe.)

3. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Thanks for the note. I’ll ask the moderator to fix the typo.

As for the question about the other two concours, no, they are not in the same league.

4. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    The FCA National 6 times. The latest being 2014 when it was held at the Lansdowne in Leesburg. The actual concours field was Creighton Farms golf course in Aldie, VA.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The Cavallino concorso has some spectacular cars, but some equally spectacular ones show up in the visiting exotics parking lot outside the show grounds. One year I was looking at an example of the open-top version of the 2005 Ford GT (the X1) when someone yelled "look at that!" and I turned to see a Bugatti Veyron pulling into the lot. More recently, I was walking back from lunch when I was passed by an inbound Pagani Huayra!

6. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Yes, no question there are some amazing cars that cruise the Breakers throughout Cavallino week. And, of course, all the shows above always have exceptional Ferrari's. What makes Cavallino so incredible is the scale and concentration of the best of the best Ferrari's, particularly the great vintage cars.

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I think the Concorso Italiano at Monterey deserves an honorable mention just for the sheer number of cars there. You're more likely to see more of just about any model Ferrari (or any other Italian exotic) there than anywhere else in the world. When I was there in 2004 they had nine Enzos and perhaps two dozen Daytonas! And a group of multi-colored Gallardos looked like so many very expensive gumdrops!

8. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Sorry to disagree.

Marcel Massini

9. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #9 Marcel Massini, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    Over the past 45 years I have been to all of the aforementioned events several dozen times.
    Suggest to delete Goodwood Cartier Style et Luxe. Not in the same league as the others.
    Villa d'Este is an absolutely fantastic and charming location (the hotel) with first class food and one of the best hotels worldwide and sensational park and lake but (with very few exceptions) the quality of the cars doesn't reach the level of Pebble, Amelia and Cavallino. Besides that, who wants to see the same old BMW's every year again and again (BMW Munich is main sponsor since long time). VDE is more of a beauty contest and an in-place for the wannabees and some VIP/VVIP. The Concours is small and has never more than 60 entrants.
    My 0.2 cents.

Marcel Massini

Jack-the-lad, TTR and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    While I appreciate your thoughts, I wouldn’t consider Concorso Italiano anywhere near the class of the others. As a enthusiasts show, it’s a lot of fun and interesting, but the quality of cars presented isn’t terribly impressive by comparison, regardless of how many there are.

11. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Marcel - appreciate your comments. Would you then consider this a more appropriate list of the best of the best?

12. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Consorso Italiano, which doesn't have the crazy amazing cars of Pebble and Quail, it always has amazing camaraderie and friendship. I still go there for the passione of regular car guys who own and love Italian cars. In short, CI is for hanging out with friends, with a very warm and congenial atmosphere. I also had the pleasure of meeting Marcel there and my kids have the best memories of going there from a very young age and sitting inside Enzos and F40s and being made to feel very special.

Texas Forever and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I would agree with this. Fun and lively, but not at the platinum end of the spectrum. Though I’ve only attended once, I am told it isn’t what it used to be.

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    No one answered my question: where does Hilton Head rank in all of this?

15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I would place it in a quality category with regional US shows, like a Greenwich and La Jolla. It isn’t at the top of the food chain, like the others listed above.

16. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Having organized an event ir two. If it’s based on the cars, I’ll take the “rolling” Concours at the Goodwood Revival over everything else. If it’s based on venue, Villa d’Este, Pebble, with Concours at Windsor Castle/Hampton Court also stunning venues.

17. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    In recent years CI unfortunately has become barely a shadow of what it used to be 10+ years ago (i.e. 2004, etc). :(

Marcel Massini likes this.
  18. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Reviving this earlier thread - the list below represented what was regarded a few years ago in the thread as the greatest of the great Concours d'Elegance in the world. I'm curious if anyone feels this list should now change (additions, deletions), particularly thoughys on the Cavallino Classic and The Amelia since they both now are controlled by new owners.

19. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    If you’re referring to the parking area I agree 100%. And it’s free!

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    If you're going to "judge" the judging events, wouldn't you need to spell out the judging criteria (sorry for being so judgmental).

As far as the quality of cars, Pebble Beach probably has the best year in and out. The main compliant I've heard about Pebble is that is has an "in-crowd" cinque. Who gets invited, who doesn't get invited, can be political. Cavallino has the edge if you prefer Ferraris and so forth and so on. That is, each event is unique. As you know, I'm not a concours guy. Frankly, I can only handle a few hours because it tends to be overwhelming. But even guys I know who used to show their cars, now prefer rallies over a concourso. Drive around some with friends, tell some lies at night, wash, rinse, and repeat.

Ps You left out Quail!

21. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe

Texas Forever likes this.
  22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yeah, that's it! :p

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  23. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Simple question, Gents. From the original list that was established on this thread, does an anyone feel anything has changed, particularly The Amelia and Cavallino, given they are both under new ownership/management? As for The Quail, I love it (and I have shown there twice), but it isn't a Concours d'Elegance in the traditional sense.

24. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I don't understand. If the Quail is not a concourso, what is it? A Republican fund raiser?

25. Sba1

Sba1 Rookie

Jan 23, 2020
    Full Name:
    Spencer Andrews
    I went to Amelia 6 times under the previous management and have been both times under Hagerty (including today!). I think anyone would agree it still deserves a spot on the top concours list. In my opinion, the only things that really changed for show-goers are 1) higher prices and 2) increased focus on modern supercars.