Ignition trim - 308 | FerrariChat

Ignition trim - 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by Tonza, Jun 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tonza

Tonza Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    My ignition trim ring was missing the back plate that secures it. I ordered a new one with the round piece that secures it and plan to go about installing.

Does anyone have a picture of how a proper trim ring install is supposed to look? I’ve been searching random photos to find one and haven’t located one.

The reason I ask is it seems the alignment of the dash and the ignition is not perfect such that the ignition will either stick out a bit from the trim ring or if the trim is flush with the ignition there is a gap between the trim and the dash at the bottom.

Perhaps if one install the plastic bit that goes behind the dash to hold the ring it actually pulls the dash tighter to the ignition (but that seems unlikely).

I’m just not sure the way it actually looked when new. Let me know if anyone has some pics please.

Thanks!

2. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    where did you get it? sorry can't help with install

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You are on the right track, relation to the switch face is totally variable.
    The finish result definitely "sticks out"...

As I was getting to do the job, myself (unobtainium Supply kit), I was personally wondering if the dash will "flex" enough to get the back ring over the switch itself, as removing the lock cylinder/steering lock rod is "no small job"...

Carefully flex the dash forward and see if you can get the receiver ring in place.
    Once that is there, behind the dash, as you see the "Keeper rods" have serrated teeth.
    As in many Ferrari things, "gently tight" is the proper fit, of the two pieces.

It should collapse the slight layer of dash padding (like the door switches into the arm rest) and just "hold together"
    HTH

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A lot of them, that broke, were just "Glued back on" with black Permatex.
    To give you an idea..... of "shrug shoulders" assembly

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    After reading again, if "snug at the top" of the ring leaves a gap at the bottom, you need to peel the dash and add backing foam.
    Myself I would "split the difference"..

As said above, the top of the ring is usually behind the face of the switch, FWIW
    The dash of course was a fiberglass part so It could warp, vary, and be pretty non consistent, esp. if recovered at some point.

6. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    My '78 was missing it to, either before or after I tore the whole interior apart. I bought a new ring but I never did get around to installing it. I probably sold it with all the other spare parts I had.

7. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Sorry meant to say that lower section of dash has a couple small bolts right above it somewhere if I'm remebering right. My plan was to loosen or pull those to try getting the dash out far enough to get the backing ring on. Mine didn't have the cowl under the column though either.

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    An original part would have been rare and expensive.....and probably brittle!

Mine has been missing years, as the glued part fell off during some key trauma.....

9. Tonza

Tonza Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Anthony

Thank you. This is helpful confirmation. I suspected the fit was something like this but you never know!

I did find detailed instruction on this site for the install. It does seem a big job to move the steering column. The dash does flex a bit as well so will take closer look at install

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That is what moved it down my list....you can pull the switch off the lock, but to get the lock out we had to pull the column lock assembly.

That's a big job..
    I mean we did it, the Body Shop had snapped the key off, flush....so it was "gun to the head" time..

A jake leg would cut the ring, glue it, whatever.
    JRV was old school, there was only "The right way"...

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Not the steering column.

The key switch itself and a locking rod that inserts to the column.
    Maybe google the part and you will see.
    Hugely expensive, NLA new, so you have to work with what you have!!

Big effort for a trim grommet!!

12. Tonza

Tonza Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I thought I’d report back. Tackled (well almost) this project today. With the proper backing ring, I can now see better how this works. It fits flush and then it’s seems your ignition may sit a bit proud of the opening (or flush - as seen here) depending upon how you adjust the steering wheel.

I didn’t even realize you could adjust the steering wheel!

Not that difficult once you loosen that big nut (24 on parts diagram). Glad I did this instead of taking easy way out!

Thanks for the help

Image Unavailable, Please Login