Is F1 falling apart? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Is F1 falling apart?

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, May 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Nothing wrong with turbo engines!
    An unrestricted 4-cylinder 1500cc turbo engine would develop more than a 3.5L atmo engine anytime, be cheaper to produce, be lighter and easier to package.

2. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    But not as interesting and "shocking" for the show. Give me a 3.5L atmo anytime over a turbo one.

stavura, DonB, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    But who wants to listen to straight 4 turbo's? Theyll sound horrible. And a straight 4 is hard to package as they can't be used as stressed members. Might as well stick with that stupid V6 we have now then.

I also wouldn't be so sure the straight 4 would be that much cheaper in the long run. It'll be much higher stressed than a 3.5. I don't think it'll be much if any lighter, either. Turbo's and ancillaries aren't light at all. Especially a turbo large enough to produce (restricted!) 3.5 beating power.

The whole point of getting rid of the V6 is to improve the noise so that people become more interested. If all we want to achieve is to reduce cost just keep the current V6, take some of hte complicated bits out and replace them with simple stuff.

The only thing worse than the straight 4 is electric.

stavura and furmano like this.
  4. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Exactly. I can absolutely guarantee more people would start watching F1 again. FIA/Liberty have to be very careful with their 2025 decision. Their 9 billion dollar purchase can be rendered worthless if they choose the wrong engine.

5. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Production costs are minuscule compared to development costs.

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #106 william, Jun 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2020

We had that conversation many times, but you always advocate going back in time.

The next engine rules shouldn't be dictated by noise fetishists or aesthetic considerations.
    The brief is to create a power unit, not build an organ. They are engineers, not musicians.
    The next power units should be designed to be more efficient that the present ones.
    F1 is meant to go forwards, not backwards.

With a turbo engine, you obtain higher output with reduced capacity, hence superior efficiency. What is there not to like ?
    Reduced capacity means smaller engine size, and a 4-cyl block offers different packagings; it can be kept upright, lay-down, or transversal .
    There is a choice of configurations: 4 in-line, or boxer, or narrow-angle or V4. A 4 cylinder can perfectly be used as stressed member.
    Interestingly, Porsche chose a V4 to power their 918 sportscar and managed to win Le Mans 3 times in recent years. That surely validates the design !
    There are dynamic advantages with a turbo 4-cyl compared to a NA V10 or V12: less moving parts, less internal friction, less torsional stress (shorter crank and camshafts). The engine would be compact and lighter too. It's a win-win situation!

But the present rules are OK, now that the gremlins have been ironed out and the reliability found.

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Turbo technology is not rocket science anymore.

8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Apparently you've never heard a 3 cylinder, two-stroke SAAB with an open exhaust. ;)

stavura, Kiwi Nick and Bas like this.
  9. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Who cares about "less moving parts" or "compact and lighter"? I want 20,000 RPMs, the noise to blow my ears, and flames!

stavura, DonB and Bas like this.
  10. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    If you think they won't spend 100's of millions to develop them, then I don't know what to tell you.

Bas likes this.
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #111 william, Jun 6, 2020
    Maybe, but not everyone shares your taste.
    Some fans are more interested in science and technology in F1 than harmonics.
    It's what makes a race car go faster that's important, not the sound effect!
    The V12 piercing noise was a by-product of the multi-cylinder configuration, not the aim of the designers.
    Now, some people want us to believe that noise if the most important factor in F1, it's total nonsense !!!

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I don't think there is that scope of development left in turbo technology to justify spending "100's of millions" on it.
    It has been around since WWII, and used well before F1, for longer periods and in harsher conditions.
    The aero industry bore the brunt of the development cost.
    Cooling, lubrication needs, variable blades, and other problems are well understood.

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I ask you again, are you aware that you are in the VAST minority?

For every 1000 fans, maybe one will choose efficiency over simply great noise, given other things are more or less equal (i.e. lap times).

stavura and furmano like this.
  14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    You can't possibly be that naive.

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #115 william, Jun 6, 2020
  16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Does it matter? Do you always surrender to the majority?
    I think you over-estimate your position, because your side makes the most noise (literally).
    A few participants on this site have expressed an opinion nor far from mine regarding the hybrid formula.
    In any case, I don't think the FIA will decide the next rule change after a referendum among fans, do you?

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    There is a whole lot more to turbo engines than just the turbo. And team would spend it (if they weren't forbidden).

Lets say the following:

3.5 Liter V10/12, 1000 bhp
    1.5 liter 4 Cyl Turbo, 1000 bhp

Which do you think fans would prefer? Which do you think will draw the largest crowd, gets the most people watching on tv? Would sponsors (and therefore teams) not prefer the engine that draws in the most people? Easier to get money to keep the team going?

What you're proposing is that 1000 people are voting to go on holiday together. 999 say lets go to the Caribbean. 1 Person is saying, no, that's a terrible idea, I want to go backpacking in Kabul.

And somehow everyone ends up in Kabul.

18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Do you speak to the average F1 fan, ever? Or do you only hear what you want to hear (the 3 people in favour of techno nerd engines)?

No I don't think the FIA would listen, because the FIA takes their orders from the manufacturer paying the most.

I will leave the F1 forum if more people would rather have 4 cyl or current engine over 3.5 V10/12

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #119 william, Jun 6, 2020

Errr... we had a 4 cyl turbo winning a championship in the past remember, and I don't think the fans left F1 in drove then.
    The 1500cc BMW went on to show 1500hp on the bench. Try that on your NA 3.5L V12!

Most people watching F1 don't have a clue about engines, if the truth was told.
    You only have to listen to comments in the crowd around the circuit to judge how ill-informed people are.
    What interests them is the spectacle, the day out, or the vacation around a GP.

Sponsors look for the team that gives them the most exposure for their money by being at the front, and/or winning.
    Never heard that sponsors made their choice according to noise.

As I said, F1 isn't a democracy, it's driven by business interests.
    Applying advanced technologies is more attractive to investors than repeating the past.

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    If you leave the F1 forum for that reason, that would simply be a knee-jerk reaction.
    You can't get your way, so you would throw a tantrum. It's your choice.
    I thought you liked F1, through thick and thin, regardless of engines, teams and drivers.
    Or maybe you suggest that since I am in a minority, I should leave perhaps?

You are damn right that the FIA listen to those who invest in F1; it's their business.
    "Who pays the piper, calls the tune", never heard of that?

21. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Very true!

But the FIA has forgotten who really pays the Piper... At the end of the day, it is the fans. Without eyeballs, the manufacturer would disappear instantly.

The FIA's mistake is believing it is the manufacturers who pay...

stavura, Bas and 375+ like this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It's the manufacturers who negotiate, commit themselves, sign contracts, put money upfront, invest, etc ...

23. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    And if the fans don't watch.... POOF.

It's the FIA's job to put on a show the fans want to see.

Instead, the FIA has chosen to provide a format for the manufacturer's to advertise their companies.

stavura, Bas and 375+ like this.
  24. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    OK, OK enough. I've got the solution.

The cars will be all electric and have loud speakers mounted to the outside of the car. The team/driver will be able to select any sound that is programmed into the main, single source supplied, control computer (preferably made in China). V-10, V-12, Turbo 4, 6,8,10, or 12..whatever they prefer.
    All power units (electric motors) will be 100 HP to make it fair for everyone who competes. The real challenge will be which team can produce the best amplified sound. Rules for this will be stated within the 286 page amplifier rule book (music is not allowed) as directed by the FIA. The cars will be multi-use and have detachable fenders for Indy. They can also be used for Formula E. Cars will have the option of being lit underneath with neon or LED's for night use.
    Races will be 2 hours in length but will be limited to 10 laps. This will allow sufficient time for advertising, which has to include at least 30 minutes of "Green" product ads.
    There will no use of gender identifying words at an event such as he, his, boy, she, her, or girls. All teams will wear the same uniforms so that there is no jealously or feelings of being left out by team members. The sport will be all inclusive including sight impaired drivers.

In the event a team or teams shouldn't win the race (every team will get a ribbon), there will be a parking box which is designated a "Safe Space" where the cars/drivers can shelter in place away from the jeering and booing of a insensitive crowd.

This should make for a really exciting "Feel Good" event that would be watched by 100's of millennial's world wide.

Easy Peasy!

25. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Personally, I love reading arguments from opposite sides of the spectrum from ardent fans. Far better than reading through the circle jerk frenzy in the P&R threads any day. Bas and william are extremely well-versed and cover some excellent points. Nothing like parry and thrust. ;).

I’ll never quite figure out why people want to repeatedly hear stuff that confirms what they already believe Ad nauseum rather than stuff that challenges their beliefs. I guess social cohesion is a better feel-good factor than the fun factor of defending one’s beliefs then demanding the same in a counter-challenge.

stavura, Bas and pilotoCS like this.