Appreciation/Depreciation and Advice? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Appreciation/Depreciation and Advice?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by pclever1, Apr 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Its unfortunate that the F430 Scuderia was introduced in 2009-10. Prices tumbled in a matter of months which has unfortunately never recovered. Only the 16M was immune.

daytona355 likes this.
  2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    if You want to buy an investment ferrari, it’s going to cost money....... barely anyone in the ferrari owning world is a donut, we all know what cars are worth, and which ones are limited in numbers by production, or stick shift, or anything else. Regardless of the car you pick, there is no guarantee it will appreciate, everything has limits and the world has economic shifts that affect things. If you are buying a ferrari to make money, unless you have 250GTO money, buy real estate, it’s safer.

09Scuderia likes this.
  3. mepassione

mepassione Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    Now post covid in 2020 after it’s been obvious that Ferrari has oversupplied the market with new cars since it went public and the steeper than ever depreciation that has caused I’m curious to hear how people’s thoughts have evolved since that thread started 2 years ago. Any thoughts on models worth buying for long term? Speciale/Speciale A/ TdF/599gto/classic cars? I personally lost a bit of interest for their newer cars since the company went public and find the very last PF to have some sort of timeless appeal that is somehow gone now... whether that means the limited editions above will be good investments, unclear and happy to hear some good thoughts

paulchua likes this.
  4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The only Ferrari’s I’d consider investment are the classics and for modern era f40, f50, Enzo or laFerrari. I suspect even sf90 will tank. IMHO scud is just a 430 variant with the same crappy f1 transmission.

5. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Advice on appreciation and depreciation?

If you’re vulnerable to it financially, do yourself a favor and don’t buy the car. It’ll be a burden and a source of anxiety, not pride, joy and pleasure.

If you don’t care whether something made to be driven and enjoyed makes you money or not, you’re truly free. Some of the best things in life happen as collateral anyway.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

6. mepassione

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    I agree with those though these are already at sky high prices hence why I mentioned F12 TdF and 458 Speciale A which are also limited and awesome cars while being much cheaper and with maybe better investment potential.

7. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    It is over two years since my last post and I only own three of the same cars (one is my dogs Jeep Grand Cherokee) and I am up to car 484 so 18 (I am slowing down), more than two years ago. I probably lost at least 100K in those two years on the cars I have bought and gotten rid of. If I thought about anything other than my purpose I would have stopped buying cars a long time ago.

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Historically, new "production" Ferraris depreciate to about 35% of MSRP. For example, a F360 with a sticker of $200,000 with hit bottom around $70,000. If you can buy a good car at the bottom, you should be able to sell it three years later for what you paid. However, you need to budget say $2 a mile for repairs. So if you drive a car 10,000 miles in three years, your door-to-door cost will be $20,000.

Now, if you manage to catch a car that is moving off its bottom, you may be able to break even. Take a F550 Maranello. Original sticker was about $210,000. These cars bottomed out around $70,000 about ten years ago. Good original cars have recovered to say $125,000. Seeing how these are one of the last front-engined V12 monsters, it is conceivable they could keep moving up, again for good original cars, to say $150,000 in a few years. Indeed, when (not if) the economy recovers, I can see Maranellos going to $350,000 or more. Ferrari is not making cars like this anymore.

Either way, you can buy a 20+ year old Ferrari and drive it and not be too much out of pocket.

NE550 likes this.
  9. mepassione

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    Interesting. If maranellos reach $350k where would then F12/812 be. They are also amazing front engine v12 and the f12 is the last PF. Unless there is something special about maranellos?

10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    F12/812 are new cars. They will depreciate for roughly 10 years.

Maranellos are fully depreciated. Plus, they are a direct link to Daytonas, 275 GTBs, 250 SWB, and, yes, a 250 GTO. Imagine a Daytona with almost twice the power, assisted steering, fuel injection, ABS, traction control, and A/C.

The newer V12s belong to a different genera, as they should.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

NE550 likes this.
  11. mepassione

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    Thank you very interesting I will look into it and do some research. You seem to be quite knowledgeable what are your thoughts on the more limited edition cars? Speciale/Speciale Aperta/599GTO/F12Tdf?

12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Maranellos aficionados actually think someone under the age of 70 finds that car interesting... I have yet to find anyone under the age of 50 even look at a maranello at c&c. There is no reason anyone will pay $250k for that used car. I know a gentleman that has $10k in receipts for his.. that he wasn’t able to sell for $80k! Their belt driven drive train and meh styli aren’t getting any fresher. I’d take a 599 any day over a 550. And an f12 any day over that.

Dr. K, thorn, artsd and 2 others like this.
  13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Punk, get off my lawn!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

JaguarXJ6, RonH and vrsurgeon like this.
  14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #39 Texas Forever, Jun 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Don't know anything about them. I stopped following Ferrari when they stopped making manual transmissions.

Edit: Just remembered I owned a Challenge Stradale. I'm guessing that was the first of the "specials." Really cool car. I liked it a lot. But today I'd still take a Maranello over a Stradale.

vrsurgeon likes this.
  15. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  16. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    360's have gone much lower then $70k both in the past and currently

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I agree. I'm using big, fat, averages.

Bottom line is F360s are bumping along the bottom. F430s will soon follow. The 458s are next. If you want to run with the big dogs, you gotta lift yer leg high.

18. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I agree too. IMO 360's have stabilized and are now past bottom. There will always be stragglers, but if someone wants one on the way back up nows the time.

Texas Forever likes this.
  19. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    When Marchionne showed up that was the end of the Modern Ferrari operation as we knew it and Luca knew it that why he was forced out.

Solid State and Texas Forever like this.
  20. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I have never had any interest in any car that has an engine in the rear. So that means no Porsches and only a few Ferraris interest me. However, on the depreciation side, Porsches are very interesting. Historically all of their cars do very well in terms of depreciation. You can drive a brand new relatively high production model off of the lot, drive it for a few years and not suffer much depreciation (my friend just bought a 2 year old 911 targa stick and paid not far off MSRP) where with a similarly situated Ferrari you will suffer at least 100K in depreciation. Never really understood why Porsches don’t depreciate like other higher production cars. It would seem to me for people that like rear engines and dont want to throw a lot of money out the window buying a new car, Porsches would be much more attractive than Ferraris.

21. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    While some of that may be true, a C&C crowd is not generally much of a critical audience. They often walk right by the 550 to ogle my plastic Cobra... :)

BTW - as for the 550 - it really is about the front engine, V12 6 speed configuration. Classic Ferrari. I you don't care about that, then there are other cars to suit your interests. Something for everyone.

NE550, vrsurgeon and Texas Forever like this.
  22. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    What do you mean by Porsche people being bigoted? I’m not sure I understand.

23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    P-bug folks tend to be too tightly wound for my taste. You're never see a Ferrari at a PCA event, but you'll see plenty of Porsches at a FCA event (and even corvettes). I love the cars, but I prefer Ferrari people.

NE550 and vrsurgeon like this.
  24. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    OK thanks for replying. I think that's funny as many people say the opposite (although I do not agree with that either).
    All things taken into account, I am not into grouping these types, as there are so many exceptions to this, and frankly I find it heavily location dependent.

25. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    By the numbers there are so many more Porsches out there compared to FCars....thus there are so may more Porsche owners....If Ferrari events were Ferrari only you're looking at a small event....whereas a PCA event can attract 100's....

Texas Forever and gliazzurri like this.