Wanted - Mondial coupe | FerrariChat

Wanted Mondial coupe

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by hnichols, Jun 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    I'm interested in a Mondial coupe (not cab) -- 8, QV, or 3.2 (not a 'T'). Looking for a driver that runs well. Miles don't bother me. Corrosion does. My budget is about 30K (depending on condition, of course), leaving 5-10K for the inevitable sorting out. I'm planning on servicing the car myself, short of a major engine overhaul. I'm hoping there's a good car out there that will spare me playing Russian roulette on Ebay.
    Thanks in advance!

2. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Stefan Markowski has a silver 86 coupe for sale. He has his own shop now but couldn't tell you where it is or how to get in touch with him other than his instagram page which is where I saw the car. He's a good guy I bought my Mondial from him. Try Steve Markowski/Zach Minot on instagram

3. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Thanks for the reference! Wow, that guy has quite the thing going -- a gearhead's heaven. I replied to his post on Instagram; hopefully he'll get back to me. The silver car ticks all the boxes. Wonder what he's asking for it ...

4. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Yes He's from here www.rpmvt.com worked there with his Dad since he was a youngster but recently went out on his own. Good people.

5. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Silver with tan. Nice! It looks like they're asking $57K for it. It sounds like an extensive amount of work (including an engine rebuild) has been completed in the last 20K miles.

2cam

6. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Yikes -- I was hoping for more along the lines of 40-something. But with a full engine rebuild a guess it makes sense.

7. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Where did you see it advertised?

8. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    I saw it on Instagram and reached to him about it. Engine/trans/suspension have all been rebuilt and have about 20K miles on the rebuild. It has fresh belts and tensioners that were recently done.

2cam

9. roddyracer

roddyracer Karting

Mar 14, 2010
    Have a two owner 87 coupe. All services done by authorized dealer since new. Recent major 2019. Please call if interested. 858 484 1111

10. roddyracer

roddyracer Karting

Mar 14, 2010
    Hello. Have a 87 3,2 coupe. 2 owner all service records from authorized dealers from new last major 2019 original books, tools etc If interested please call 8584841111. Thanks

11. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
  12. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Oh yes, I've been watching that listing for awhile. I love the color of that car, for one thing, and it might be the kind of car that I can do alot of the work to sort out on my own. The problem is that it's in the hands of a dealer who doesn't answer my emails about the car (and who seems to know nothing about it), and who is probably asking too much for it. (The adage that "there's nothing more expensive than a cheap Ferrari" is no doubt true, but what could be even more expensive is a cheap Ferrari that you pay too much for :).)

Anyway, as an owner of one of these, do you have any thoughts of that car?

13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    A Mondial for $30K seems like a very hard thing to come by even in the Covid19 aftermath.

14. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    You might very well be right -- it's hard enough to find a coupe of any sort these days! But looking at the Mondials posted on BAT in the last, say, 8 months, basically all of them, including the 3.2's, are in the 30s (excluding the T's which seem to be priced at another level).

15. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    My thoughts on that car would be it has trx wheels/tires so if you don't know about those they are metric tires and are very expensive and can be hard to find. A lot of people replace them with rims from a company called superformance that look like the original cromodora wheels. The leather is all dried out so hard to say from pics if it's possible to be saved looks very dry. There are dings and chips here and there on the car which isn't the end of the world and makes it look like it could be original paint but again hard to say without seeing it in person. I would want to see the car on a lift and check underneath for rust. No info. on service so if it is due I always estimate about 5k for that but it could be a lot more if things have been deferred. It's got it's pluses and minus' overall but it's hard to really evalute without seeing. The leather turns me off a lot because it doesn't take much to maintain leather, makes me wonder what else was overlooked during ownership.

16. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Thanks -- that's helpful. I didn't think much about the interior, but you're right that its condition might be a bad sign. I already knew about the metric wheels -- basically add 2K to the bill. Unless there's paperwork to prove otherwise, I'm assuming it will need a new clutch soon. My real worry is corrosion; the lack of underbody photos may be a sign.
    On the other hand, wasn't Ferrari galvanizing their cars by 1985? Not that that excludes rust, of course, but '85 should be less vulnerable than an '80-'82, all things being equal (?).

17. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    2k sounds about right for the wheels not a huge deal but 2 grand is 2 grand. As far as rust you always want to check thoroughly these are old cars. It would be nice if the dealer would give you more info. on the car but maybe that's why they haven't sold it!
    i just wanted to add it takes time to find a good car but if you hang in there i bet something will turn up and take some time to check out different variations of the Mondial get out and drive them see how they feel to you.

18. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I had a PPI done on an '89 t Coupe several years ago. Sadly, it had been parked at a beachfront community in south Florida for too many years. Total rust bucket. :(

19. Matthew 6:19

Matthew 6:19 Karting

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Another wheel option is what I and plenty of others have done... picked up a set of 348 wheels. I like how they look on the car and still a bunch more tire options. Your price expectations are not out of line. I'm the second owner of mine, 23k original miles. Paid $30k, another $11k or so in maintenance to get it squared away, plus I did rims/tires and a Tubi exhaust.

20. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane