High Torque Starter Review | FerrariChat

High Torque Starter Review

Discussion in '308/328' started by Fitz, Jun 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fitz

Fitz Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Amelia Island
    Full Name:
    Frank
    My 41-year-old Fiat starter on my carb 79 308 GTB was getting sketchy, so time to replace. I chose the IMI High Torque starter from Rare Electrical after reading around the forums. PROS: Good price, high quality, fits properly, works with existing wiring, and heat shields, very fast starts on half the amperage of the old starter, and makes cool sounds as well. CONS: Removal of old Fiat starter if very time-consuming process requiring removal of the clutch activation mechanism on my car, limited space to work and remove the huge heavy old starter. If you chose to undertake this project you will be very happy with the resulting operational improvement.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

miketuason and thorn like this.
  2. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    When did Fiat make starters? I owned a couple of 124's back in the 70's and they both had Bosch starters on them.

3. Fitz

Fitz Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Amelia Island
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I have seen on FChat posts stating that early 308's had either Fiat or Bosch, mine had a Fiat, and model numbers (Fiat E 100-15/12) cast into the solenoid housing.

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The starters would have been made by Bosch but the ones delivered to the assembly line would have had FIAT markings on them as part of the OEM supply agreement. I have seen this a number of times on other cars where there are parts variations on the ones installed at the factory compared to the ones available as replacements at the dealerships even at the same time the cars are in production.

5. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Interesting, had not seen that.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks for the post....I have always found these starters interesting..

"geared starters" they are called??

Anyway if you are looking at a failed unit it's good to know!!
    I have had good luck with local rebuilding shops, as "what you take off is what you get back" as opposed to the catalog data search!!

Our cars (mine are Bosch) do NOT match to a single unit in Pep Boys!
    Crazy but true!!

7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #7 Nuvolari, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    Gear reduction starters as they are known are much smaller than the direct drive starters our cars were fitted with. They use a smaller motor coupled to a gear cluster to multiply torque. Depending on the car you have their advantages can be greater or smaller.

On a Dino the stock starter (even freshly re-built) turns the engine rather slowly. Yes it is enough to start the engine but if you have the slightest flood, or vapor lock there is rarely enough battery power available to turn the engine over enough to get it going. In the Dino world a gear reduction starter is a huge advantage and almost a must have.

On a 308 the stock starter turns the engine very well and the advantage of the added speed of the gear reduction starter is negligible at best. Where they are advantageous is that they are smaller and about 1/3-1/2 the price of a replacement starter. That said it is still more than the re-build cost to your stock starter. Not a knock on the gear reduction units just some information to help make a decision on.

8. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    I just got mine in the mail today!!! The plastic on my old starter where the wires connect was cracking from age and making a bad connection.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    +1, the rebuild costs on stock 308/328 starters (and alternators) is pennies as long as there is nothing majorly wrong - they are just full of standard Bosch parts. Nowhere near the cost of replacements.