Real world gas mileage | FerrariChat

Real world gas mileage

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by mhh, Feb 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Anyone checked the mileage they are getting in their 458? I haven't but the tank seems to empty pretty quick when driven hard. What do you get from a tank?

2. rblissjr

rblissjr Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2009
    Westlake Village, Ca
    Full Name:
    Robert Bliss
    I got ~11 mpg on the last tank but I was pedal down most of the time! Actually about the same I got in my 430.

Rb

3. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #3 Jedi, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
    I don't care about MPG in my lowly 328 GTS... why the heck would I care in a 458??
    Seriously... it ain't a PRIUS. Who buys ANY Ferrari based on MPG????

For the record? I get about 10 MPG in the 328.... 458 can't be much better.

Premium only, btw.

Jedi

Solid State likes this.
  4. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I've got a 1,000 mile weekend coming up with some friends and I'm wondering if the 458 is the right car to take as the re-fueling points are a fair way apart. I once had a V10 M5 and the short range was a real limitation which diminished the enjoyment of the car. I've gone very close to running the 458's tank dry on several occasions now.

5. mrbucket2

mrbucket2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2006
    Bergen County
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I don't get why this question gets met with such hostility any time that its brought up, its a completely valid question and an important figure to know for many reasons.

Pawilly and pizzadude like this.
  6. stereotaipei

stereotaipei Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Taiwan + Europe
    there was another thread on the same topic a few months ago.... Please check the real life numbers I had mentioned.
    Difficult to answer your question... really depends how you will drive. If you push hard, you will have to refill every 200 miles....

7. needspeed

needspeed Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2006
    Middle of nowhere IA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    This is not a question of cost at all, but of range.

So it is very relevant when traveling through rural areas where gas cannot be found every 10-20 miles.

It is very important to know the range of your tank based on your style of driving. I think that the 430 and 458 have 25+ gal tanks.

So I would think (have not tested yet) that 300 miles is not out of the question at 80mph.
    Since I am just making this up as I go someone please chime in with the facts :D…….Thanks…….Steve

8. ufjdmba

ufjdmba Karting

Nov 10, 2010
    I live in a rural area and range is always on my mind. My best "guess" would be about 250 milesbper tank when driven moderately hard for most of the drive. Getting more throttle will cost you at least 25-35 less miles per tank easily. I think you will have to drive the car more like a cruiser when you know there is no fill up station within 250 miles. Just my two cents. Enjoy your drive.
    Cheers

9. nyckylim

nyckylim Rookie

Aug 29, 2010
    i get about 300km on a full tank when driven averagely.

10. fuse

fuse Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2004
    Range is a concern for many people. I don't know yet as I am still in my break in miles range. My CS never got over 200 miles unless there is a lot of highway driving.

My friend's koenigsegg ccr has 4 separate 5 gallon tanks, where the low fuel warning comes on when it is ~1.5 gallons...each tank. This means reserve is actually more like 6 gallons, but warning is early, but still suffers fuel pick up problems when it is low. This basically resulted in ~100 miles range between fills. Even a rare use car, this is a pain.

11. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    10mpg in local driving.
    My 599 had a 25 gal tank (and got 8mpg around town)
    I believe the 458 has a 21 gal tank.

12. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    In the U.K. we're paying he equivalent of over $8 a gallon. It does make you think a little when you see those numbers reeling on the pump.

13. needspeed

needspeed Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2006
    Middle of nowhere IA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes and no, since these cars are a rare treat for a few to enjoy. If you can afford it, then you don't ever consider it. If you are on the edge, then I can see it bugging some folks.

Heck I could give two craps for gas for a car when considering aircraft, speedboat or yacht ownership. Fuel shifts over 2-5 decimal points to the left making driving an M1 Abrams a real deal.

I am not rich in the true sense of the word, but if fuel goes to $20+ per gallon I am still filling it up and driving it till it runs dry and repeat on a daily/weekly basis.

......my 20 basis points......Steve

14. 458LOVE

458LOVE Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    I get like 135 miles to tank after filling? Unless I'm doing something wrong and clearing something? When driving the car hard and shifting at 9k rpm etc, what should I get., these are no highway miles :) 135 miles can't be right???

15. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    I believe the 458 tank is just under 23 gallons (86 liters). I drive in manual / race mode and shift at 7k+ rpms. I typically get somewhere above 10 mpg. 135 miles to a tank sounds really bad, just under 6 miles per gallon. That really sounds like there is a problem somewhere.

16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    :eek:

17. turbokraft

turbokraft Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Johnathan David Adams
    I am a #s guy and mpg has always been important to me, it is a reflection of efficiency. My 458 is a stripper regarding options and it has returned 20+mpg driving the speed limit (75mph) in auto mode. I enjoy this car driving 50 mph or shifting it at 9K ,although where I live this is always a gamble due to the high number of LEO. I have not checked the mpg with mixed driving or during spirited blasts but estimate around 14-16 mpg. I emphasize that I drive easy (sport mode) most of the time due to the presence of LEO.

18. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ditto here as well... My 2015 458 returned well over 20mpg on an ~800 mile trip from ATL to IAH in about 18 hours straight, stopping only for petrol and comfort needs.

I was on cruise control most of the way at regular posted freeway speeds and the overall average was 22.5 mpg. Premium petrol only, if that matters in the calculation. Cheers!

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  19. turbokraft

turbokraft Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Johnathan David Adams
    My stripper (has no cruise) averaged 22-23 on a trip from Mo. to Fla. according to my son who accompanied me, right in line with your experience. I also used 93 octane, never full throttle during the trip.

20. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I was shocked what great gas milage my 458 got on long trips. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was something above 20+ MPG. I remember thinking it was darn near as good as our Toyota Highlander does on the highway, sometimes better actually.

Ray

21. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    When people ask me how much mpg I get on the 458, I tell them I don’t know (because I don’t) and they question if I really own one or if I’m full of it :D

But something in the neighborhood of 20 lts per 100 km sounds about right (full tank good for about 400-500 km until dry, something I’ll never be keen on finding out for sure).

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Rexcat458 and Gn_ like this.
  22. Gn_

Gn_ Rookie

Oct 16, 2018
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gn
    Many people ask me the same, mostly french people, it's the main thing they want to know... I used to reply that I didn't know, so one day I told myself I would keep a track of it, just to know once and for all.

Mixed, mostly highway and light spirited driving about: 18L/100 = 13 mpg
    Spirited driving in swiss mountain alps: 26L/100 = 9 mpg
    Track: 40-50L/100 (calculated) = ~4.7-5.9 mpg

AlfistaPortoghese and Rexcat458 like this.
  23. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Wow! How awesome it must be to drive a 458 on the winding roads of the Swiss Alps...

Cheers!

Gn_ and AlfistaPortoghese like this.