New owner of 488 GTB | FerrariChat

New owner of 488 GTB

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Lou B., Jun 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lou B.

Lou B. Rookie

Jun 4, 2020
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Lou Borrelli
    Given the sensitivity around battery life and the use of the battery tender if car not used for more than a week (seems really low), is it ok to leave the key in the car when the car is parked in the garage? Or does the key make the car draw some energy?

2. bml71

bml71 Karting

Mar 2, 2019
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bradd Lewis
    i definitely take the key out (aside from insurance company reasons) there does seem to be more of a drain with it in the car.

3. Lou B.

Lou B. Rookie

Jun 4, 2020
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Lou Borrelli
    Interesting, thx. I was thinking more in my own house garage, of course. I leave my Porsche key in the car with no issues.

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Welcome & enjoy - I'm pretty sure in the UK that would invalidate your theft insurance - don't know about USA

5. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Its not a matter if but more like when you WILL be stranded unless you get a battery starter. Do it , don't ask , just get one. You can thank me latter.

BTW Do not leave home and go straight to the service station for fuel. Drive at least 45 minutes plus then get petrol.

Reason is you might have been lucky to start the car but a short drive will drain battery before it gets a chance to start recharging.

Look at the third brake light at night, you will see it slightly lit, no matter if armed or not.

6. Zombies

Zombies Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    I’ve posted this in other threads but will say it again here - the tow truck driver told me when I got stranded that from his years of dealing with this, he thinks leaving the lights on auto mode is a big battery drain. True or not, I’ve left them “off” (except when manually turning them on at night) and so far haven’t had any more issues. But it still gives me anxiety.

mdrums likes this.
  7. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I heard that also and not having the alarm on. But eliminate all anxiety and get a starter. I brushed it of the first time as it was the original battery but when it happened a second time as soon as I was home I went and bought a starter. Never leave home without it.

8. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I guess if you leave the car unlocked, the alarm won’t drain the battery which helps, even though other things will eventually drain the battery anyway.

That being said, there’s a difference between leaving it unlocked in your garage with a state of the art alarm and leaving the key in the ignition. For security and insurance purposes, I humbly wouldn’t recommend it. Wouldn’t sleep as peacefully at night and I already have trouble as it is.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Viperjoe and MANDALAY like this.
  9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Actually its the other way around it will draw more electricity if the alarm is not on as it shuts off other drains.

10. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Leaving car unlocked seems to improve my battery life as well as leaving lights in auto.... My car can stay dormant for up to 10-14 days no problem with car unlocked and lights off.

I bought one of those jump starters and left it in my house for a year without charging and the sucker won't charge anymore :(

11. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I don't believe that anyone can say definitively what drains the battery, but drain it does. The battery in my 2018 488 failed after one year despite being kept on the charger at all times (crappy OEM battery). Replaced with an Interstate Battery which has consistently been recommended on this forum. I also carry a jump starter should I ever be left stranded again. Some have upgraded to a better trickle charger, but I'm not sure of the benefit of doing so.

Napoli likes this.
  12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #12 Shadowfax, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    To even think that in this day and age that a car of this value has such poor basic engineering truly beggars belief. But it's true and I can vouch for it and the service dpt openly admits there is a problem where the alternator will only provide just enough power for the engine systems to run the engine while it is running and this is why a tender is provided. Disgraceful. Don't even ask me about the stress it caused me on two occasions where the car left me high and dry. As Mandalay says if you don't carry a functioning starter pack with you at all times then you are asking for BIG trouble. You only need to be caught out once and no matter what you paid for it (the starter pack) or how long it lasts you, then don't worry about it because believe me it is worth it's weight in gold when that time comes. If it never comes - which would be a miracle if it didn't - then at least you have the piece of mind knowing you have a back up plan. I would also strongly advise every 488 owner to familiarize yourselves with how to access the battery and how to attach the cables. I'd even go so far as to advise all 488 owners to attach a cord to their emergency hood release which is nearly impossible to find, and have the cord tucked behind the floor panel which covers the battery. There was an occasion where the hood release solenoid would not release/open the hood and guess where I had the starter pack? You got it? Well then don't miss it. Get your preparations in order.

13. Lou B.

Lou B. Rookie

Jun 4, 2020
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Lou Borrelli
    Thanks, everyone, very informational. I totally agree on NOT leaving the lights on Auto, as I've been doing that for years with my other cars.
    A different question: Because of the extremely high torque, presumably it's normal for the car to be in 7th gear when cruising around town at low speeds?
    Also, interesting enough, my "R" buttons and "PS" buttons are in opposite order in center cluster than what is shown in the Owner's Manual. Others notice this as well?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    What battery starter/jumper is everyone using? Interesting about leaving the lights in OFF and not Auto...is this an internet myth or truth? My 488 will be 1 yr old in October. So far the battery has been fine. I think in the spring or summer next year I will get a lithium ion battery...Anti Gravity or Braille.

15. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    7th when cruising around town? I very rarely hit 7th on the highway unless over 100. Cruising around best in 2nd maybe go up to 3rd if over 35, also car is going to sound lousy in high gear since valves will never open. On the buttons I think the manual is maybe using a non US car since it shows "Launch" instead of "PS"

16. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Im on my 2nd Ferrari (488, now Pista) I've always left the lights on auto and never have once had a battery issue. I do not leave keys in the car and try to put the battery tender on (when I remember) but there have been many times where I leave the tender off for 3-4 days at a time and never once an issue.

17. Lou B.

Lou B. Rookie

Jun 4, 2020
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Lou Borrelli
    I totally agree if using Manual mode, but I'm talking about when in Auto mode. In this mode, it shifts up to 7th gear and stays there even at low speeds. Is this normal?

18. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Yes, that is why I have never once used auto mode

19. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    It’s absolutely normal and the only people who prefer to drive in auto mode are internet wannabes who don’t actually own any cars but like to tell people how to drive them.

Don’t ever use auto mode. It sucks in a Ferrari.

scott61 likes this.
  20. Lou B.

Lou B. Rookie

Jun 4, 2020
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Lou Borrelli
    Fair. I’m a manual shift guy, that’s why I love my ‘16 911s stick shift 7 speed. One of the last naturally aspirated 3.8L.
    Sometimes leaving the 488 in Auto convenient when on call or something.

Viperjoe likes this.
  21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    It’s a myth. Nothing do with headlight settings, leaving car unlocked, locked, key in, key out, that’s all total nonsense as also verified/ explained by the master tech.

As Mandalay points out the rear led is illuminated even with everything off so there is parasitic drain going on in an already bad situation.

The master tech has also explained in detail the alternator charging situation along with the need to use the tender. There is no way around that. Sure you can put in a bigger or better battery but it wont change the charging situation.

The fact remains the cars electrics are badly engineered, further compromised by the rear led fault - the alternator set up ridiculously impractical where it is only catering enough power for the engine systems once it has been started.

Owners are free to jolly themselves up all they like - as they do - and delude themselves over what it may or may not be but the evidence will always remain to support the facts as explained by Ferrari’s own highly trained staffs.

mdrums likes this.
  22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Lou the sad reality here is that the car is badly engineered in a few areas, the zero shift intuition in auto mode serving as proof positive of zero engineering effort in this area.

Again Ferrari owners will jolly themselves saying the car should only be driven off the paddles in manual but the laugh there is the paddles are dysfunctional being far too short anyway. And even funnier is being forced to pay extra for working paddles.

I could touch on the clumsy antiquated and inadequate climate control, MI and the likes but it will set off defence mechanisms. No wonder Ferrari is still dishing up crap like this when the owners are lapping it up without so much as a complaint. In fact some even claim it as brilliance can you believe it.

23. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

mdrums likes this.
  24. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Go drive a 991 Porsche 991.1 or .2 in sport mode auto....this is the way a dual clutch seq should be programmed. It is not 100% perfect but very very close. On the track in Sport mode in a GT3 in auto mode it is so good you will laugh, it is like it reads your mind, very very good shifting on the track.

With my 488...auto mode is a complete JOKE! Plus I am preferring the paddles to be connected to the steering wheel like Porsche and F1 cars and pretty much all other road course race cars...the paddles are always right there at your finger tips.

25. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I took the advice in here and just picked this up

Image Unavailable, Please Login

MANDALAY likes this.