Pista Lowered on Novitec Springs | FerrariChat

Pista Lowered on Novitec Springs

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FordGTDriver, May 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

For those of us who cannot leave well enough alone, the real art of doing mods is simple: DO NO HARM. In my opinion, it makes little sense to pay a boat-load of money for a carefully engineered exotic and then diminish its performance in the name of appearance or back-ally tuning. Indeed, there are more than a few people who are convinced that ANY deviation from factory stock is counterproductive. By way of example, larger wheels and fatter tires often look impressive, but the additional weight and diameter adversely diminishes performance. I have been down this path more than once, and I think I've learned my lesson. Now, the only time I consider changing wheels and tires is if the aftermarket parts are significantly lighter than those supplied by the factory which spells money, lots and lots of money. (More about that in a future post).

So, when it came to lowering my Pista, I wanted to be extra careful. First, I should explain that I don't particularly like the factory ride height of the car...if you look at all the pretty brochure pictures published by Ferrari, you'll see that the cars as presented are significantly lower than the cars that are actually delivered, at least here in the U.S. There is a reason for this; the cars simply look meaner and more racy without that big gap between the fender arch and the tire.

As most of us know, the ride height of our cars is adjustable using the stock spring perches. However, lowering the car using this method compresses the springs and makes the car ride more harshly. To address this, Novitec produces a shorter spring, which as I understand it, maintains the same spring rate as the factory part. I had these installed on my 488 and liked them, so I repeated this mod on my Pista. Just like the factory springs, the Novitecs are compatible with the nose lift system. I specced this option on my car, knowing that I would eventually put the Novitec springs on it, and I wanted the extra security of being able to raise the nose for sharp inclines.

Once a car is lowered, it must be realigned, so I took the opportunity of have one of the best race car tuners in the the area do a full alignment and precise corner balance. He dialed out the understeer, and I'm very pleased with the outcome. You'll note from the pictures that the car is certainly not slammed. It remains very drivable on rough and uneven pavements. With the added security of the nose lift, I haven't had any issues whatsoever with scraping, and to my eye, the car just looks so much cooler when it is lowered, even conservatively like mine is. Overall, I couldn't be happier with the ride quality, and the pro-level alignment and corner balance was worth every penny. Glad I did it.

2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Looks proper now

FordGTDriver likes this.
  3. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Is it comparable to stock ride quality?

4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Do you mean is it soft? Lowering on stiffer springs will definitely tighten things up a bit. I am likely going to lower mine as well, just haven't gotten to it.

5. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Lol, no. I know it’ll tighten up a bit, the question is how much. I’ve gone too far before on the stiffness meter.

6. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Lowering the F8 with stiffer springs may amerliorate the Bentley like ride similiarity.

7. Autolove

Autolove Karting

Jun 8, 2012
    S.A. TX.
    Full Name:
    Ivan

8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Definitely will tighten it up a bit and perhaps a bit less roll on hard turns. If you hit a large bump that might not be good so you have to be careful at speed.

9. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Not done by dealer correct? Can you comment on cost of such and what it does to the warranty?

10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    My dealer will no longer lower cars, they told me Ferrari has told them it will void warranty. Apparently they've had issues with cars being lowered too much and bottoming out and even deploying airbags. Kind of a crappy position to take when the suspensions are designed to be lowered from he factory.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    My dealer advised they would lower the car if I wish but only with Novitec springs.

Gh21631 likes this.
  12. Autolove

Autolove Karting

Jun 8, 2012
    S.A. TX.
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    Did you put spacers? And if yes what size thanks

13. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    As I understand it, the spring rate of the Novitecs are similar to the factory springs, just shorter. Thus, the ride quality is also similar. My butt dyno seems to confirm this.

Lagunae92 likes this.
  14. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    Correct. The install with alignment and corner balance was about $1400. I supplied the parts.

My dealer tells me that the only warranty issue is if there is a mechanical failure in the car directly related to the spring itself...which seems unlikely. What’s really interesting is that I could have lowered the car even more than it presently stands using only the factory springs and perches...it just would have ridden like a rock truck. These adjustments, however fool hearty they would be, could easily be done and then reversed without the dealer knowing…not that I would condone such antics or find them to be necessary.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  15. HKE46Boy

HKE46Boy Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    CA
    Full Name:
    RENN Spec
    What size spacers did you go with?

16. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    10mm on the front, 20 mm on the rear. Anything between 10 and 20 will work, depending on your tastes. If you do 10 or 15, it will require longer lug titanium bolts, which are about $900 for two wheels. The reason you don't need different bolts for the 20 mm is because it bolts to the hub, allowing you to use the factory length lugs (which thread into the spacer). Not sure I would like the look of 20mm on the front..

ppg70 likes this.
  17. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    thank you so much for this thread.....I am thinking to install Novitec springs and spacers on my Pista Spider as well. I agree with you that 20 on the front is too much. Novitec suggests 15 front and 20 rear or 10/15 but your car seems perfect with 10/20

could you please post some more pics from different angle?
    thanks

Bkclients and C50 like this.
  18. HKE46Boy

HKE46Boy Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    CA
    Full Name:
    RENN Spec
  19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    So then why not just lower on the factory springs?

20. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    Sorry, Gh21631, I realize that my statement was confusing; the spring rate of the Novitec is similar to the spring rate of the factory spring when both are taken out of the box to install. The Novitec spring is shorter, thus allowing for lower ride height without changing the spring rate. When the factory springs are used in a lowered configuration, they must be compressed to achieve the lower ride height. This pre-compression takes some of the compliance out of the factory spring, making it ride significantly more harshly than the Novitec.

Gh21631 likes this.
  21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Thank you for the clarification.

FordGTDriver likes this.
  22. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    thx for the reply. I keep wanting to do this to my car - just haven’t gotten around to it. I’d probably keep the factory springs. But I just need to get off my lazy ass and get this done. It looks so much better!

FordGTDriver likes this.
  23. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Pretty sure the Novitecs use two springs on each shock. There's more to springs than just the length.

24. Fixer03

Fixer03 Karting

Nov 1, 2015
  25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I recall watching the vid from Robert at Apex and he didn't report any ride issues using the stock coils although he mentioned they could only lower 15mm due to the locking collars only being able to wind so far on the threads. I would agree once the spring is compressed out of the sweet spot which the spring length was designed to work in then ride quality would have to suffer to a degree. Similar is the case with the shocks unless the valving is modified. Have you found any scraping or rubbing from the lowering using the Novitec coils? It looks good but is certainly quite low and I must wonder how that would translate in real world driving out on country roads where you get a wide variety of dips which can cause full spring compression. Have you anything to report there?