TFT screen blinking and dying | Page 2 | FerrariChat

TFT screen blinking and dying

Discussion in '612/599' started by Ds599, May 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    @Skidkid

Sorry if I was quite defensive in my earlier reply. Got a lil sensitive to UR way of response I guess:) (trying not to, a LOTTT BTW).
    Should've been more flexible and less caring about UR choice of words ( as everyone is different).
    Anyways, no harm done.
    We all learn SMTH everyday. And UR opinion on this matter is most respected ENG.John.
    TC

2. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The burnt out item in Zaza's pic looks like a shorted capacitor. Anyone with simple hot air station rework capabilities should be able to fix. The short could take out the LCD driver ship as well.

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    All good.

In my last response I was talking about headlights NOT the dash panel. Headlights are HID, maybe you could replace them with LED but you would need to look at the lens design so it is a photonics and optics exercise.

As for the interior dash display I believe the dash display (the one that goes out) has an EL panel behind it for illumination but I am not 100% sure about that. You can dim LED but you need to use PWM so you would need to design that circuit (fairly easy as drivers exist). The repair is easy and inexpensive so I don't see why you would make the change. What is the goal?

4. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    I am not sure at this point.
    But does this equation apply
    (Less VLTs= Less heat generation)?
    And if so, it would be better for the display screen on the long run?

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    P=IV and E=IR but E=V they just use different nomenclature in the two equations. P = Power, I = Current, R = Resistance, and E = V = Volts. If you use P as a proxy for heat (not exactly true but in the ballpark, skipping long thermodynamics discussion) raising V will increase the power dissipated in an LED. BUT they do not dim by applying less V or by reducing I; you basically have to turn them on and off really fast, PWM (pulse width modulation). That reduces power because it is really just on less of the time but the power dissipated when it is on doesn't change. An EL panel is different in that it will shift with a change in the frequency but it shifts color AND intensity. You can also PWM control them to just reduce the intensity BUT if the chopped frequency is in the visible range you will introduce another color and get a blend. The instrument panel does not use an HID but an HID can be dimmed through several techniques. Suffice to say that how that works is WAY beyond this discussion. You need a good grip on the s domain or it won't go any better than me doing surgery, once you get past cut here they are all on their own. :0

So technically power can be reduced and less heat almost always means longer life. But, making those changes may not be easy nor feasible. Plus, I didn't touch on fact that several systems monitor the current draw of components and throw an error if it is out of range. I don't know if the instrument panel is that way but several systems are; that means you can move power away from them but you still have to dissipate it somewhere or the systems error out.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Just get FAI to fix it. They know what they are doing and have repaired hundreds of displays, including mine.

brogenville and Skidkid like this.
  7. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    By the way my chip driver or capacitor or whatever you called it was out BUT my EL panel for illumination behind was OUT as well !

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yea, it can happen but they are fairly robust.

9. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Terry, who is FAI? Mike

10. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
  11. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks I had different initials for the same place. Mike

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  13. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Terry, Mike

14. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    Great info.
    THX

15. ChrisPinHK

ChrisPinHK Rookie

Apr 9, 2020
    Hong Kong
    Hi,

I have the same problem now with my 599 in HK. It is at Musketeer Motorsport now for other repairs (fuel pumps/ oil gasket...) but they didn't have much of an idea of any alternative to the Ferrari dealer solution. Have you got anywhere finding an alternative solution??

Cheers
    Chris

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Get the UK or US experts to fix it. Remove, FedEx out, they fix and FedEx back. Assuming FedEx is still working in Hong Kong after the recent unpleasantness.

17. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    If you are in HK, I think the only alternative you got is to purchase the part from people like Eurospares in Uk if yr garage agree to dismantle the screen and reinstall later with the “suitcase “. Sorry for my English
    Or send it to Europe or Us to be fixed but need to be “synchronised “ in Hk

18. dc348

dc348 Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    Luckily back in HK
    Full Name:
    DC
    Mine is in the UK right now getting done but not without dramas as they put in a new screen but still flicker. After testing for 5 weeks it was confirmed fixed got it back, installed. Still bloody flickers, off to the UK again.

Was speaking with Eurosapres and the part is NLA.

19. Wingzero

Wingzero Rookie

Aug 17, 2020
    Hong Kong
    Chris. I am also in Hong Kong and have the same tft issue. Did you eventually get it fixed at blackbird?

20. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    FWIW - My 2011 HGTE's TFT display is still fully functional at this time, but I do recall inquiring from my Ferrari dealer about costs to replace a TFT display with a new one and they quoted about $12,500 USD. That was in 2018 when I still had a 2008 GTB.

For a HK Ferrari dealer to fully replace the display for about half price is a good deal IMHO if you wish to enjoy your 599 without further concerns of hassling its removal for export to another country and back, etc.

However if you want to save a few dollars, take Terry's advise and message Rod at FAI. He's a great man with excellent credentials and is an expert on this type of work. Done properly which FAI warranties, you'll be happier though it'll take a much longer time than doing it in HK locally with Ferrari dealer.

21. ChrisPinHK

ChrisPinHK Rookie

Apr 9, 2020
    Hong Kong
    Hi, No....but I have a quote from Musketeer to remove so I can send to UK/USA for repair and then they will reinstall once back for HKD3k.

22. Ds599

Ds599 Rookie

Jan 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Q100
    Dealer told me now no more new parts so they will also ship to Italy for repair. Cost is 3200 usd shipped and 6 weeks. Seemed better. Probably get it done once and for all along with my front suspension this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Wingzero

Wingzero Rookie

Aug 17, 2020
    Hong Kong
    Thanks Chris. I got a similar quote as DS599. Blackbird is quoting me hkd 30k to ship the cluster back to Italy for repair. I might go that route.

24. powersteer

powersteer Rookie

Sep 13, 2020
    Hi Terry, thanks for sharing!

25. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Yes, these are the folks that can fix you.