Thoughts on F12 with accident | FerrariChat

Thoughts on F12 with accident

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by 3POINT8, Jun 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Any thoughts on this F12 with an accident?

The seller did not disclose the accident but I found it when I pulled the car fax. The seller was very responsive and provided repair records from Ferrari of Houston. $109,000.00 repair.

The asking price is $190k for the car. I figure without the accident the asking price would be around $220k considering the interior spec is a little wonky.

I'm not looking to resell the car in the next decade so I'm not too concerned about the accident being on the record. There doesn't appear to be frame damage and it looks like they pulled out all the stops on the repair.

I feel a $30k discount for the accident is not enough though. Am I off base?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=552854279&zip=98664&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D98664%26extColorsSimple%3DRED%26sortBy%3Drelevance%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26marketExtension%3Dinclude%26modelCodeList%3DFERF12BERL%26makeCodeList%3DFER%26searchRadius%3D0%26isNewSearch%3Dfalse&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&modelCodeList=FERF12BERL&makeCodeList=FER&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=FER&modelCode1=FERF12BERL&clickType=listing

2. turboslut

turboslut Karting

May 31, 2016
    Definitely not much of a discount for that repair value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    get info from the repair shop. it helps a lot if it was a ferrari certified repair shop. understand exactly what was damaged and repaired. call the shop if possible.
    for a minor accident such as bumper replacement (which is a 80k+ repair) with no frame damage i would take off 15%. this appears to be a little bigger than minor.
    also realize that on resale you will have to disclose all this again and your buyer pool will be much lower.

2014 with 5k miles no accident is around 200k, so i would go for 170-180k range.

4. F12finally

F12finally Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2020
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Robinson
    I got a 2014 with 5K miles for $204K. No wreck. I think this is a bit too much for this car. The paint does not look good in that garage pic either. Not a fan of the interior.

5. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    thx for the feed back

6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    thanks for the feed back. repair was done at ferrari of houston. i reviewed the records and very extensive. i ave not called the shop yet.

thank you for the feed back on price

7. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    repair values on these cars are not indicative of the severity of damage incurred.

Manda racing and wrs like this.
  8. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    thank you for the feed back on price. and interior. i didn't love it but i didn't hate it. if i can get this thing for $140-150 i would love it.

9. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
  10. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
  11. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    run away

Mike

Napoli and KenU like this.
  12. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Easy decision. Seller did not disclose. Walk away....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Napoli and KenU like this.
  13. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #13 IPO1, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    The fact he didn't disclose tells you all you need to know. What else didn't he disclose? Run don't walk from that deal.

And good luck selling it when you are done. Why have that hanging over you, when there are so many choices out there.

Next...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Napoli, KenU and m5shiv like this.
  14. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    the seller did not type it in the comments but did offer the free Carfax option that shows the damage. his ad is also lackluster with only 5 pictures.
    he probably is not a marketing genius, but if the repairs were done at authorized Ferrari dealer it is worth a look. just call the shop explain you are interested in buying a car they repaired and ask for the details.

15. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    thanks again for the advice. i'll see if the repair shop will talk to me. my concern is they have a line item for 22 hours spent on repairing the frame. talk about a red flag.

16. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i thought this was a minor fender bender that i would be ok with if i got a price reduction but the more i look into it this was a major accident. i think i'm bailing on this one. thanks guys

IPO1 likes this.
  17. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I wouldn't pay over $140k for it, wholesale on them is really coming down fast right now, I know a dealer that just bought a 4k mile one for $150k (no paintwork, not sure of options), they will probably retail it for $170k ish

Too many non-wrecked cars out there for cheaper.

18. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I had a Porsche 991tts that I ran over road debris with. No paint was damaged but the front lip was burst and that's all it looked like without lifting the car up. However, after they lifted it up and covered all the stuff that was damaged underneath the repair went from $6k to $34k. It was all just replacement parts, not any body damage or paint work but I still lost about $20k in value on the car when I sold it. The next owner drove it for 10k miles and enjoyed it. I drove it for 10k miles after the repair so that $20k loss in value is just a game. Everything was fixed as good as new and that is what you really need to know about this car.

On my car at the time that was about a 15% haircut on the KBB price.

The third owner of the car contacted me via PM at 6speed when he was buying it because he knew about the car from when I was posting there. He bought it and has been very happy with it. So if the car was properly repaired and otherwise was in good shape, its a good buy. The key is that it will carry that value loss the rest of it's life so you need to make sure you account for it properly in your purchase.

19. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    wow thanks. I just see all the red/tan ones with under 10k miles for $235 - $265. I really need them in the $200 range for it to work for me. I was planning on waiting a year and continuing to save then I saw this one for $190k. Looked into it and found all the accident.

The only appeal here is if you could get it for dirt cheap and if ran fine and didn't need constant repairs then you could really drive it and not worry about mileage or depriciation or anything. maybe even daily drive it.

20. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    There are a couple on eBay now asking in the mid $170k range, I think one or two are red.

21. AhsanU

AhsanU Rookie

Apr 27, 2020
    New York City
    As others have said, definitely not worth the asking price.

Someone on these forums very recently bought a very nice and squeaky clean white F12 with a clean title for around $172k (won't disclose actual amount, the buyer can if he wishes) so there's no need to pay so an absurd amount for that one. It's fair to say that the value of the F12's that are hovering around 200-220k will drop further and further, so if you're in no rush and want an exact spec - I'd wait. I've only recently started hunting for one so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I'm in no rush and am looking for that perfect spec one, so I'm giving the market a bit of time to react to the fact that 812's are flooding the market. Currently torn between red and yellow exterior paint. Red is so classic Ferrari, but there are a few yellow F12's on AutoTrader right now that look so good.

Good luck OP!

22. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    thanks so much

23. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    thanks but i didn't see these when i looked just now

24. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    thank you i appreciate the advice. I'm a red guy but I saw a yellow F12 with sports seats that looked killer. good luck

25. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    do not
    ever
    think about it

no
    no
    no

there may be issues with the car that you can’t possibly know about. I had a $40,000 repair to the transmission under warranty on my F12. There are so many F12s for sale do not buy one with accident damage however cheap it looks. Period. End of story. Next thread.

m5shiv likes this.