Is F1 falling apart? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Is F1 falling apart?

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, May 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Precisely !
    Football also went behind a pay wall in the UK and football fans voted with their wallets and migrated to Sky.

2. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Hamilton told us to stop eating meat too
    :eek:

Jack-the-lad, stavura and Bas like this.
  3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I ate a fake burger ones. Taste test between real and fake.

If thats the future, the future is ****.

stavura and SimCity3 like this.
  4. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Ha ! And let's change the world by posting a selfie while we're at it.

Hakkinen could be right, Bottas might get the job done this year

Bas and 375+ like this.
  5. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Don't bother, I'll watch F1 with my TV screen darkened and the sound off. :D
    Cars that sound even more ugly than they look, driven by spineless sissies, thank you very much.
    F1 fell apart, long before Covid-19.
    No worries, F1 will kill itself before you know it. Let's hope Ferrari will have gotten out of this shameless and rotten FIA circus before it's too late.

11506apollo and Bas like this.
  6. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    If Ferrari go , FIA/F1 whatever, it is all over.
    Personally, that is fine with me. I want to see my favourite team taking part, and of course winning, in an exciting series.
    I don’t really care what that is, as long as it sounds good and looks good.
    Sports cars would be fine with me, as long as we could tempt out Porsche, the only other manufacturer for which I have deep respect.
    Sadly though i expect the great era of motorsport has passed. At least we were around to see some of it.

7. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Motorsports in the future will be....
    Le Mans
    Youtube
    Scale models
    And in our garages ....

8. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    You’re kind of killing the pride I’ll experience when Stroll or Latifi becomes WDC.....

9. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    What about Lotus?

Joe

10. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    #60 635CSI, Jun 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Hi Joe,
    More complex.
    Chapman was clearly a genius, but his cars were too often ‘widow makers’.
    Jackie Stewart told me that Tyrell’s cars may not have been as fast as Lotus, but they were well engineered and less likely to kill you,
    I’m quite mixed on the Lotus road cars. They sure handle well, but I’m not sure I would want to own one. Maybe as a track car, that would be good, if only I had talent ....

It’s always really been about Porsche and Ferrari for me.
    Early 911s might have liked to throw you in a ditch if you overdid it, but they were at least well screwed together. Ferraris? The engine, and well, just look at them.

375+ and jjmalez like this.
  11. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

Thanks for the insight.

Number of Porsche's owned, 2
    Number of Ferrari's driven, 2

Vanity plate on my car... LOTUS F1

:rolleyes:

635CSI likes this.
  12. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Teams are already selecting prospective drivers based on how well they perform on simulators. NASCAR conducted "virtual" cup races before they resumed actual racing. Cyclists race against one another via "Zwift" as they pedal away on trainers.

Why not just make the leap now rather than going through the agony of watching team after team and venue after venue drops out. Make F1 the "Pinnacle of Virtual Racing." Current cars are controlled as much by computers as drivers, and algorithms can account for aerodynamics, weather, track surface, and any other variable that can be measured. Simulators, CGI tracks, soundtracks all available at a fraction of the cost with virtually the same revenue to F1 and the FIA, while being eco-friendly.

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Here is what I put on F1's Facebook page this morning:

The consensus of fans is to get rid of all the hybrid stuff and return to old-fashioned normally-aspirated gasoline engines. So what if F1 isn't the "pinnacle of engineering"? So what if the big manufacturers depart and leave F1 to the "garagistas"? If it makes for better racing, so be it! The sport did fine in the '70s with just that scenario. Let Le Mans be the testbed for new-fangled power unit gadgetry.

stavura, Bas, TonyL and 6 others like this.
  14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I don't support that statement at all !!

Blocking technology in some areas and allowing it in others will make F1 a laughing stock.

We are not living in the 70s anymore.

15. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 completely agree

+1 we will have to wait for the implosion of F1. Hybrid powerplants will be relegated to museums to be dusted and generally ignored.

Bas and jmelcher like this.
  16. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The current F1 might not be a laughing stock, but has plenty of lack of interest in powerplants. Most fans today don't even care about Hybrid!
    Appease the climate doomsters for what?

17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Sadly Francois Cevert died in a Tyrrell.

18. jmelcher

jmelcher Rookie

Aug 8, 2005
    i agree, make the cars sound like race cars not dishwashers. F1 isn’t the pinnacle of engineering anyway, it’s technology used my most mass market manufacturers. They need to open up the rules to see more creativity and institute a budget cap that all teams can afford. The budget should include everything including R&D, salaries, and engines. If you want to make your own engine, fine, if you want to be a supplier, that’s fine too. It you are a supplier, you must make your product/support available to every team for the same price and they must be identical.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    why can't we have both? My F1 experiences were about 60% good because of the F1 races. Extra enjoyment came from Challenge, Porsche Cup, and Vintage. For Vintage you can still invite the hobby cars from the 70-80's, but should be some serious teams running the loud big V10's. Get Challenge and Porsche Cup back at every race, drivers can only have less than 2 years driving experience. Each weekend also have a virtual race broadcast on the large screens with drivers actually at the race track and all sims together like the gaming tournaments.

20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    THIS!

F1 should be the big show coming to town. Lots of noise, fury, excitement. Something a bit decadent. Something outlandish with the best teams, the best drivers, and the best show for the money.

F1 has forgotten why the fans show up. Its to see EXCITING cars go fast with driver's with amazing skills controlling them. It isn't to break lap records. Its to see great RACING and exciting CARS.

500drvr, LimoParty, stavura and 4 others like this.
  21. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    You got my vote

Let Formulae e do the research in E technology, hybrid is dead in the water if the environmentalists get their wicked way

Best

Tony

500drvr, 635CSI and Bas like this.
  22. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
    I wish! I went to several races in the V10 days where they had spec engines for qualifying that turned 20k RPM! There was a walkover bridge at Indy where the cars went under you at 185mph and screaming. Goose bumps man! It seems like there is more interest in green racing (whatever that is) these days. The new car for F1 is supposed to be more stable in traffic allowing more passing. I sure hope so as too many races are parades (Monaco) or all the passing is done by pit stop strategies.

500drvr and Bas like this.
  23. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Agree! Currently, big car manufacturers seem to be a curse for F1! Can we believe that Williams, that dominated the sport in the 80s/90s, is now on the verge of bankruptcy? Also, big manufacturers expelled the small engine builders from the sport, such as Judd, Mechacrome, and Cosworth.

Ferrari is not a big car manufacturer like Renault or Mercedes, it was first and foremost a racing team. Bring back the V12s, shorter and ligher cars!

Bas and ago car nut like this.
  24. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    True, racing was dangerous but Ken’s cars were less likely to break than a Lotus
    On the other hand nobody talks of Tyrells as amount the great formula one cars, many Lotuses would be on that list

25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 like a Tomahawk missile flying between your legs!