F12 vs 812 - Differences in daily use? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F12 vs 812 - Differences in daily use?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by AhsanU, May 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I have a Grigio Silverstone (dark gray) 812 and its a total sleeper on the road. It attracts almost ZERO attention. I love it for that very reason. I have other cars that get plenty of attention, and it’s nice to be able to take a break from that experience. Really only enthusiasts even take notice of it.

2. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    I think F12 is a timeless beauty, so if keeping it for a while, I would go F12. 812 may be better daily tho since newer car

3. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    I hesitate to say its one of the favorite things about my F12, because there is so much to love. But truly, the fact that I can drive the F12 anywhere and go virtually unnoticed makes it much more practically usable for me. I've never enjoyed the unwanted attention I get when driving the mid engined cars.

Thecadster likes this.
  4. AhsanU

AhsanU Rookie

Apr 27, 2020
    New York City
    Walked into Ferrari of Long Island a few days ago and looked at both 812 and F12 side by side. My thoughts on the looks didn't change, but I've decided to get an F12. At this point in time, a decent F12 with lower miles goes go 200-220k or thereabouts, an 812 goes for 330-350k. The interior feels a bit better in the 812 and I'm sure it's a better driving car for daily purposes, but it simply isn't 130k better. I think the 812 would make sense for me 3-4 years down the line, but life's too short to wait that long.

I didn't test drive either car as I'm simply not ready to buy right now (maybe around July or August) but when I'm ready, I'll definitely do that. Thank you for everyone for the input

of2worlds and dustman like this.
  5. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Firstly, I am very sorry for your loss. Absolute tragedy, I hope you are doing well, or at least as well as one can be after losing a parent.

As for the cars, you should drive both when you are closer to purchasing. Like many have noted, the 812 is a refined F12, and the driving experience is slightly better in a daily capacity. Now whether or not it's $100k+ better is up for debate (it probably isn't THAT much better). I have very limited experience in both cars, so I can't tell you what they are like to live with. Even if you go F12, at least you got to have some fun in an 812!

I went 812 simply because I wanted to order my car new, and specing it was a very cool experience. I went full stealth spec; grigio silverstone (dark grey metallic), no scuderia shields, black wheels, black calipers. Like you, I don't want to attract dangerous attention from other drivers as it can ruin your own driving experience.

With the rear wheel steering on the 812 at low speeds the rear wheels turn opposite of the front wheels to make for a better turning radius. I test drove a 458 and 812 back to back, the 812 felt like it was right on par, or had a slightly better turning radius (I did a U-turn in a parking lot, both performed very similar). At higher speeds the rear wheels will steer in the same direction as the front for better stability. I can't say at what speeds the system cuts off, or where it switches. I do know for sure that the rear wheel steering was working at very low speeds.

The 812 in auto mode is rather boring. Manual mode is far more fun than auto, keep it in 2nd and enjoy listening to it tach up and down. V12s should carry a warning from the surgeon general for their addictive properties.

F12 or 812, you're going to have a good time! Plus, you won't be driving around a squished beetle (whoops, did I say that out loud?).

6. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    “With the rear wheel steering on the 812 at low speeds the rear wheels turn opposite of the front wheels to make for a better turning radius. “

Are you sure of that? I don’t think so.

My understanding is that RWS on tdf and 812 only operates at higher speed with rear wheels turning same direction than front wheels to stabilise the car and compensate the over steering effect generated by large front tires, what ferrari called the short wheel base effect.

Unlike on a Porsche, it doesn’t work opposite at low speed to improve manoeuvring (which is a missed opportunity, I agree).

This is what we’ve been explained during the Tdf presentation in Maranello, when the RWS system was first introduced ( and believe me, it was a long and detailed presentation).

Can someone confirm?

MotorMouth, RamsHmb and Wikdstrate like this.
  7. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    "Ferrari calls its four-wheel steering Virtual Short Wheelbase; the wheels turn opposite the fronts below 6 mph and in parallel above that speed." (source: https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/33779/ferrari-812-superfast-review-one-of-the-best-engines-of-all-time).

I have also heard this in numerous review videos. While driving the 812 slowly in a u-turn scenario I do feel like there is some rear wheel steer.

8. cwall

cwall Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    Attention level with a white F12 is way lower than 458, Gallardo, Huracan, etc. This was also a consideration for me.

ewright likes this.
  9. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Well, many journalists mentioned that for the Tdf and were wrong. I would like to see something coming from Ferrari.

When I drive my Tdf slowly (not often, I should confess), I do not feel anything and it is consistent with what we were told during the presentation. I am 99% certain that RWS doesn’t operate at low speed on a Tdf.

I am less sure about 812 and would be happy if it does work at low speed as my upcoming Gts would have it.

Any official statement on that from Ferrari anyone?