The non-Ferrari Lifestyle - Model Railroads | FerrariChat

The non-Ferrari Lifestyle - Model Railroads

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by MK1044, May 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    You guys:

I've modeled HO but gave my last stuff away because I couldn't see it anymore. My interest is in detail modeling.

I have just started setting up an O scale (or as close to scale as I can reasonably do) NYC subway.
    I am starting with MTH 3 rail cars with the intention of taking the center rail (+ power) and moving that to a third rail. Then via insulating connectors use one of the running rails as an actual signal rail. Complete with automatic signals.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Very cool and thanks for starting this thread.

I'm a model builder myself, although that was not my interest in the model train set. That said, I can't help myself and always end up building another thing for it. :) My 3d printer gets a good workout.

The set will be for era/period 2 and DRG trains. And of course there will be military vehicles (WW2 is one of my biggest interests).

I realize this post is pointless without pictures. Once I figure out how to post some, I'll do so. Promise.

TestShoot and MK1044 like this.
  3. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    The model RR museum at Balboa Park in SD is one of my favorite stops. All the little hidden jokes and subversive elements are hilarious.

I had a t-shirt with a cartoon girl sitting on a scale train that said "get y'er caboose rail'd".

Ferrarimondial348 and MK1044 like this.
  4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    My set is slowly getting there. Tracks have been laid and tested. Next up is installation of street lights.

energy88 and MK1044 like this.
  6. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    John, tell me about the engine in the second photo. The one pulling the coal train.

7. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    That's an N&W Y6b, 2-8-8-2.

Here is a video history.

Wiki also has a lot.

MK1044 likes this.
  8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I still have my childhood set, I need to get it out.

MK1044 likes this.
  9. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Sorry. Forgot to post the link: duh! :p

TestShoot and MK1044 like this.
  10. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Fantastic thread! I haven't the room or time for a real layout so I've been running HO trains on our pool table :)
    My new garage will have room upstairs for a proper build!

MK1044 likes this.
  11. BobO

BobO Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Loudoun Co, VA
    Full Name:
    Bob O
    Been collecting Lionel for years. Lately been putting together a typical 50's type layout. Mostly old vintage, non-electronic, electro-mechanical stuff, lots of 50's accessories, lots of lights. Having a ball. Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. M1GIR

M1GIR Karting

May 27, 2005
    BOCA RATON, FL
    Full Name:
    MASSIMINO GIRONTA
    WOW ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL WORK. I HAVE MY ORIGINAL LIONEL SET WITH A 20 WHEELER STEAM ENGINE THAT USES PELLETS FOR SMOKE. MY FATHER BOUGHT IT FOR ME 75 YEARS AGO AND THE CATALOG PRICE WAS $64.95. SEEING YOUR LAYOUT SURE BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF HOURS AND HOURS OF FUN PLAYING WITH THEM. I SET UP CITIES WITH THE ORIGINAL PLASTICVILLE BUT WHAT YOU HAVE DONE IS AMAZING. HAVE FUN.

energy88 and rob lay like this.
  13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Got the houses figured out, still working with the street lights. First had to find something in Z scale. Tiny lamps.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

energy88 likes this.
  14. Jdubleu

Jdubleu Rookie

Oct 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    John Williams
    A friend owns a O scale model train shop here in PA and I saw his post from MTH saying they are going out of business this year unless a buyer came be found. That’s a shame to hear.
    If you’re looking for a knowledgeable retail O scale shop, please check out my friend’s shop, Mercer Junction, and support local brick and mortar hobbyists. MercerJunction.com

energy88 likes this.
  15. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Cool. That's all Z scale? What did you use for light? Some small LED's?
    Post a photo bright enough to see your scenery.

16. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Mike's has come out with some really nice things over the years. Sad to hear of their impending demise but no surprise. It's mostly an old guy's hobby.

Thanks. I'll check them out.

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    All Z scale yes. Some buildings are no longer available (e.g. the castle with the white tower) so I 3D printed them.

Tracks and controls are all Rokuhan. They offer LEDs (white or amber) for house illumination, very simple. I paid a lot of attention to light escaping from the buildings when making them. They have a inner structure to help prevent unrealistic light spill. The blue light is a string of LEDs. I will actually tone them down a bit so it is just "la nuit bleue" as the French cinematographers called it.

I will of course eventually post pics by daylight. But for that I need to finish the land scaping etc.

energy88 and MK1044 like this.
  18. Ferrarimondial348

Ferrarimondial348 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    I agree, the model railway layouts in HO at Balboa Park are stunning. Been a life long model railway fan (born and raised in the UK) and still have most of my Double O gauge British rolling stock from way back when. Retirement in 10 years from now will see a start to the building of a layout that will showcase my British Railways diesel electric era from 1955 through 1978. can’t wait!

TestShoot likes this.