458 - Anyone have their rear view mirror fall while driving? | FerrariChat

458 Anyone have their rear view mirror fall while driving?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ridege55, Jun 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    While driving I hit a dip in the road. Car did not bottom out but the rear view mirror fell off the windshield. WTF? Has this happened to anyone? I thought it would be a simple fix, but I could not reattach it to the clips. I called the dealership to see if this could be a warranty fix. SM said to bring it by and they would snap it in, says it happens more often than you would think....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ash Patel likes this.
  2. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Let me ask you this ... are you also averse to garlic and the sunrise?

3. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
  4. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes happened to me as well a few years back while driving when I "accidentally" pushed the mirror to hard for a small adjustment I instead got in in my lap :)

ridege55 likes this.
  5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Yep

ridege55 likes this.
  6. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Happened to me right after receiving mine after going over a particularly nasty speed bump. Nothing a little duct tape wouldn't solve...

ridege55 likes this.
  7. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks all. I found this odd, but it seems more common than I originally thought. Love this car but can’t wait to find the next surprise.

8. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    If you hit a speed bump at 40 mph and sing the hokey pokey at the same time the transmission falls out.

versamil likes this.
  9. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    get outta here!

10. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Ironic that you say that. As I was driving to the dealership this morning, I got the "Engine Control Failure Go See Dealer" message. I just left the car there to sort out... along with the mirror.

11. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Apparently the part I circled is supposed to be affixed to the windshield. This is the same part that the housing clicks in to. I originally thought it clicked into the larger piece on the windshield. Hope this helps someone out in the future.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Hope they are both easy fixes.

13. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I own a company that works on these mirrors. First time I've heard of this happening. Apparently glue let go. Do you park in the heat often?

14. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Always garaged but don't know how prior owner stored it. However, dash is in perfect condition with no stretching of leather. I would suspect it was garaged also.

15. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You are lucky if it didn't take a slice of the windshield off with it. Happens.

ridege55 likes this.
  16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I dare say if you are not the original owner the windshield might have been replaced and wasn't glued down properly.

Gh21631, ridege55 and RaceMX-M3 like this.
  17. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Had it happen to my 15 after a ride. No bumps. On shutting the car off went to look in the rear view to find it dangling. First thing not to do is waste $ going to autozone etc. and using their product, a rear view mirror kit. Take it to Ferrari Service or a windshield replacement firm familiar with Ferrari .They have the proper materials to reattach. Ferrari attempted to replace in house and it didn't work. They called their windshield replacement service and it worked fine. It is now > 1 yr and no problems. Yes it was a source of irritation ,but it does happen to a number of new cars with rather heavy mirror, small mounting surface plus a highly raked windshield.

ridege55 likes this.
  18. JanStuart

JanStuart Karting

Mar 20, 2019
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jan Sirota
    Same happened to me. Had a windshield person fix it. Fairly common with cars. They have a "special" glue

19. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Well guys, I have to say thank you to all the responses and surprised how often it has happened. Over the many years I have lived :), I have probably owned over 50 cars and this was a first.

20. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    Crazy question for the guys that have had this issue: are your mirrors the standard, no cost version? Or, the home-link, self dimming ones?
    The reason I ask is that I wonder if the higher tech one has more weight associated with it.
    Best

21. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The auto/homelink mirror is a lot heavier by comparison but not heavy enough that it should fall off.

Randyslovis likes this.
  22. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I've never had it happen in any of my Ferraris, but I did have it happen once in one of my Datsun 510's.

You have to purchase a specialized rear view mirror glue that is designed to glue to back onto the windshield as I recall. Nothing else works correctly. You can probably find the glue on amazon or autozone, etc.

Ray

23. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    My 15 has the optional Inn/out elettr.Mirror +Homelink setup. Living in Fl. with high humidity/heat + high rake of the windshield + small metal mounting bracket are probably all instrumental. Again done at the right place using the right materials =Minor annoyance.