Aftermarket option for 360 gearbox heat exchanger? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Aftermarket option for 360 gearbox heat exchanger?

Discussion in '360/430' started by future328driver, May 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    So, looking at galvonic reactions copper is very reactive. Brass is copper & zinc and is reactive. Zinc has low reactivity. Why do you think that it being copper is so much better than brass?

2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Interesting points. I just assumed they would use a copper-brass alloy like used in radiators, not pure copper. Over time, zinc leaches from brass, so low pH and things in the coolant that react with zinc (sulfites?) need to be avoided. I also assumed, without any real basis, that the aftermarket part would be better, since like Hill parts, there would be no market for the aftermarket if it wasn’t better than the OEM part.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

pilotoCS likes this.
  3. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I bought a Hill Engineering hydraulic block from Ricambi that leaks from the bleed valve threads. When I asked Ricambi about it their answer was "some customers put teflon tape on it".

Aftermarket parts aren't always better, some just have better marketing or pay for sponsorship on the right forums/YT channels.

4. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Is the system on the 430 a better design?

5. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

the 430 replaced it with another "part". The system is the same

the 430 part is like radiator.

6. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thanks.
    Since I've joined this forum I don't remember reading of any 430 failures.
    So is their version built better?
    I am sure with the right hose connections it can be retrofitted to the 360.

7. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    My hydraulic clutch block from Hill also leaked and had to be replaced again. Lasted maybe 4 years.

8. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    mine leaked day one. The previous OEM did not but I figured I'd replace it while I was in there working on the system

9. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Mine leaked from lower port on back side of block. Manual clutch.

10. mdileo

mdileo Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    Nyc
    Full Name:
    Max
    So im in ny . I talked to two ferrari mechanics that worked for two different dealers and they both said to use shellzone concentrate . I dilute with distilled water. Green in color . Having to so my exchanger now lets see how bad things get.

11. mdileo

mdileo Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    Nyc
    Full Name:
    Max
    so there is a company who make a system that does away with the stock heat exchanger.

https://www.dynamtechgroup.com/ferrari-tranny-cooler.php

I currently have to replace mine lets see how bad it gets will update everyone again talked to two different ferrari mechanics both said shellzone concentrate diluted with distilled water green in color . For coolant change . I spoke with them and just decided to stay stock and replace the exchanger . Lets see how bad / entailed this gets.

12. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

the didcated gearbox cooler is not new. you can actually buy OEM 360 challenge car's stock parts. The 360 challenge is designed that way.

for a road car , im against the idea of ridding the heat exchanger. because the heat exchanger is not just a cooler, it is a warmer too -- to warm up the gearbox oil quickly after a cold start.
    The challenge cars use coolers because race guys know that they need to warm up the car before running it. for road car if u drive the car with gearbox oil cold for prolonged period of time, that's no good.

EastMemphis and one4torque like this.
  13. mdileo

mdileo Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    Nyc
    Full Name:
    Max
    okay yes i agree i can see that . I opted to stay with a new stock exchanger part and not go that route. I just thought to put it out there found it interesting.

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I used to work on ships as an engineer where failure of this type of tube cooler is a common problem. When the tubes get pin holes in them or the inlet of the tube failed, it is due to the water speed through the tube causing what we call de zincafication - if the water speed gets too high it causes turbulence in the tube and tiny bits of zinc from the alloy are eaten away, leading to a full hole.
    Modern ships now use plate heat exchangers with titanium plates which last for ever.

Need4Spd likes this.
  15. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login I’ve been having the heat exchanger replaced on my CS as preventative maintenance during this years major service.

The car has 10k miles and records of regular coolant flushes, but wanted peace of mind.

The original exchanger appears to be in good shape after removal.

The new oem rubber cups appear to be more silicone in construction. The old ones appear to be regular rubber.

The special washers for the banjo fixtures were a bit hard to find and have been updated. Several shops told me they were NLA. A Ferrari dealer wanted $27 for each one ! Tom Vail’s Ferrari Parts obtained them for around $8 each.

Just wanted to add another data point.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    I’d be minded to refit the old one in that condition. I do wonder if some of the failures are due to manufacturing defects and your old one is proven. Just a thought….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    After the biatch that it was to remove the parts necessary to get to the thing, I’m definitely replacing, but in the back of my mind is the thought of, “what if the new one is defective!”

but thanks for making me more paranoid about it…

18. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    If you consider fitting on of these into a road car it is REALLY not that hard to do. If you want to do it properly just fit an appropriate themostatic temperature controlled valve that bypasses the cooler until it reaches a given "threshold" temperature. This would actually result in a faster warm up cycle than the stock cooler and I'm surprised Ferrari didn't do this too as it wouldn't have been so costly to do and it doesn't require any ecu's either...

19. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Did you read my thread as to why these things fail. The higher you rev the engine the higher the water speed through the tubes and the more chance of thinning the tube ends. Very common on marine coolers

20. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    That would defeat the purpose of driving a Ferrari !

clean512 likes this.
  21. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    It more a point of why they fail. We used to pressurize the ships coolers with a red powder and water, turned bright green and then used a black light to find the leaking tube. Knock up a brass plug with 1.5 degree taper and hammer them in both ends. Did a few hundred over the early years. They tend to use plate coolers these days with 100 or more Titanium plates at great cost.

Skippr1999 likes this.