F430 brakes question | FerrariChat

F430 brakes question

Discussion in '360/430' started by saudio, May 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have a 2008 F430 with Carbon Ceramic brakes. My brakes are extremely grabby when used below 60MPH and actually difficult to brake without jerking.

First, is that normal for CC brakes? If not, is it something that can be remedied?

Second, I assume I could replace the CC brakes with steel since I don't track the car, and keep the CC brakes for the next owner. If I did that, how much roughly should I expect to pay to replace the brakes on both axles?

Thanks much.

PS Prime driving weather here in Virginia. Hope everyone is enjoying it.

2. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    On my 2009 with CCM’s, the brakes are kinda grabby. It’s difficult to make a smooth stop. My brakes were just taken apart so the calipers could be repainted. The guy that tore them apart said everything looked good.
    I’m thinking it’s just the way the CCM’s are. I haven’t stood on the brakes for an emergency stop yet, but I probably need to, to see how well they work.

I’m leaving mine on the car, I like looking at them and appreciate their performance.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

saudio likes this.
  3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    My 2008 has 12000 miles and ccm are fine with no jerking- the caliper pistons are known to corrode so might be catching the seals. Have a look on Superperformance or Hill engineering site for after market stainless caliper pistons and seal kits..

saudio likes this.
  4. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well they do stop like glue when you are going illegal fast, I can attest to that. But for drivability they leave much to be desired. I don't like having to make a conscious effort to stop smoothly.

5. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I will do that, thanks for the response. I guess you have to disassemble the calipers to diagnose that problem?

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Look at getting a set of front seals first and if the caliper pistons are showing signs of damage you can get them in a few days from Hill Engineering

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    my ceramics are smooth to me.

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Just an idea- the car has anti lock brakes. Are you sure the system is working properly, in case it is not the actual calipers but more like the control side

9. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the input. I'm going to be exploring my options.

10. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    FWIW my 2008 has 12000 miles and I needed caliper pistons last month. Corrosion was patchy across the Pistons but as they were stripped and seals were being done it made sense to get it down. Super smooth stopping since

11. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My F430 and Scuderia ceramics have been fine. The only issue that I had was a bit of pad squeal, which was cured by getting some high temperature into the system.

12. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    My ceramics are smooth as well, what you are describing isn’t normal.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Or his touch is that much more sensitive than ours?

14. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I want to be clear, the car stops smoothly, but the amount of pressure on the brake pedal needed to stop is much less on the CC brakes than any car I have owned. I have to be very careful how hard I hit the pedal or I'll stop very suddenly.

15. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I don’t have this sense with mine. It’s quite linear to me (when they are warmed up). When my ceramics are cold I think they are a little less grabby than cold steel.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I will be addressing this with my mechanic next time I visit. Thanks very much for all the input. I hope it's not a bear to remedy.

17. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I need to clarify also. I drive four different cars during the week. A dually truck, my POS commuter with 207,000 miles, a Jeep, and a Nissan SUV. On the weekend when I first start driving the Ferrari, I almost put myself through the windshield until I get used to the brakes.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

saudio likes this.