812 VS Rumors | Page 61 | FerrariChat

812 VS Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Frenzisko, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Nice digs. :)

2. Dubaicity

Dubaicity Karting

Nov 21, 2013
    Germany
    jajajaja for sure with a bunch of waiters running around in his lobby in the background

PTG1 likes this.
  3. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Yes. I stand corrected. Went to see the Roma, which is lovely in person. Was told how fortunate I am to have taken delivery of my 812 in January. Covid has apparently been the proverbial turd in the punch bowl with rethinking of many of the best laid plans back in Maranello.

Asked about this, on their website: The normally-aspirated 812 Superfast ushers in a new era in Ferrari 12-cylinder history, and, in doing so, builds on the invaluable legacies of the F12berlinetta and F12tdf. 2020 marks the final year of production for this benchmark V12 in the Ferrari line-up.

Yes, the 812 will be the last N/A V12. No I didn't ask about any VS.

4. MidnightRun

MidnightRun Karting

Nov 4, 2006
    [QUOTE="Asked about this, on their website: The normally-aspirated 812 Superfast ushers in a new era in Ferrari 12-cylinder history, and, in doing so, builds on the invaluable legacies of the F12berlinetta and F12tdf. 2020 marks the final year of production for this benchmark V12 in the Ferrari lineup [/QUOTE]

I took the attached snapshot of the first page of Ferrari's website presentation on the 812 SF . As you'll see it says nothing about 2020 being the final year of production. Where did you find that language?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    #1505 Frank_C, May 31, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2020
    FoH - 812s for sale.

Saw that before I went & asked what’s the deal? Emissions, balance sheet etc. just can’t make the N/A V12 work in today’s regulated world. GPF sounded like a bandaid and not a solution. This shutdown has made them rethink or more than likely expedite implementing their future (corporate) plans- attracting consumers.

I don’t really remember the details about what he said about stateside cars on the ground, etc but the gist of it was with all the other pots on the stove, the 812 SF is on the back burner, flames are off and the spatula is out scraping what’s left. There is the GTS, there will be a Portofino “evo” a soft top Roma and of course the Purosangue, which Mr Risi has seen and was “wowed” by it.

Again I didn’t ask if there’d be a VS as I have absolutely no interest in “upgrading,” selling or anything else. My 812 is exactly what I have always wanted. And with the (non GPF) valves pinned open it takes me back to ‘05 when I took delivery of my Vanquish S and had them pin the valves open. Perfection. I’ll prolly have to get some sort of decappottabile for the boss’ 60th who thinks all sports cars need to be convertibles. But for me- I’m golden...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

LARRYH likes this.
  6. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    How could a soft top Roma make any sense? Portofino is mid-life and it would basically be the same car with a different interior. My guess is that it makes no sense, if they were planning for VS to be limited, to change that stance after Coronavirus. It makes very little logic to make your car less saleable than you were previously planning because now you think sales will be harder to come by.

LARRYH and JagShergill like this.
  7. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I agree makes very little sense to me. Unless Portofino gives way to Roma in the medium term. If anything the SUV should be the first car to be chopped and never see the light of day, I feel strongly that the tide is going to turn against the SUV.

There is very little chance we will not see a 812 VS simply because they would be leaving money on the table at the very top end of the market which could then make up for a weakening in demands for cars like the F8 and Portofino.

The problem Ferrari faces in my view is the world has changed in the last two months or so and having this many models and some like the Roma and Portofino competing for the same customer is not smart if there is a down turn in demand.

8. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    #1508 Frank_C, May 31, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2020
    Don’t ask me. Confused the **** out of me too. I also asked why the Roma, they getting rid of that (pointed at the Portofino)? I was told it was aimed at a different consumer. The AM/Bentley ones who don’t want the racer boy mid engine Ferrari and whose choice would be the 812- an everyday GT coupe, which is a limited $400+ consumer market. As an aside, the F12 and 812 are not really GTs, they are sports cars anyway and appeal to a much more limited and diminishing group......”the only real Ferrari is one with 12 cylinders up front.......convertibles are for playboys, etc etc"

The Portofino would be the sports car the Roma the GT - a more softer around towner - the affordable non racer boy Ferrari’s. In that sense then yes a fold down soft top without those FUGLY buttresses would look more GT-ish. There is a marketing reason why the Roma is badgeless.....

I’m still confused at the hair splitting. But there is a plan in there somewhere....

Regardless, the one take home I got was this would be the last N/A V 12, my only interest in this discussion. So maybe yes indeed there will be a VS swan song as the 812 gets phased out?!?!?!?!

All this Roma v. Portofino talk while distracting means only one thing: where there’s smoke..........but Y’all take the bull by the horns and figure it out...

ps FWIW the Roma is a real beauty in person. But I would have kept the classic round taillights and made the touchscreen more integral and less tablet-like.

9. mepassione

mepassione Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    If the 812 is indeed the last na v12 which i think it is , i’m curious to see what will happen to 812 prices in the short to medium term as that information starts to spread out. Right now they are coming down in price sadly.

10. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I’d strongly consider a soft- or hard-top Roma without eccentric buttresses. That could be a real classic beauty.

dhari, of2worlds and uhn2000 like this.
  11. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    You mean FofHouston? They told me that same thing in late 2018 that the 812 production was over, and that they submitted their last orders (at the end of 2018), so, based on that, I would wait for other confirmation, right now, 812SF can still be ordered...but no doubt you did get a great one, pre-GPF and exactly tailored the way you like!

of2worlds likes this.
  12. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    the market will only realize the true value of the 812 once realities occur such as no model to follow the 812 or there is a follow on but it is completely different experience, sort of like the 488 vs 458, etc...

so, we who are paying attention to what we think will be happening will only have our beliefs shared by the market once it is actually known and provable...

of2worlds likes this.
  13. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Did I miss someone posting the link where this claim of the end of the v12 is? I only see someone referencing a Ferrari website but I don’t see anything on their webpage stating that in 2020.

14. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    but 812vs mules are still being spotted around maranello...

456-boy likes this.
  15. gliazzurri

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    That’s from Ferrari of Houston not Ferrari proper though. Where is the original source? I would not say that is a legitimate posting of the company’s intentions on a sale page for one of the dealer’s cars.

cesman and Dubaicity like this.
  16. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Work in progress...good surprise is coming soon

LARRYH, of2worlds and C50 like this.
  17. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    Hate to derail the thread but not many have seen the Purosangue, did he mention anything about it other than he was "wowed", also wowed can go both ways, was he pleasantly surprised or disappointed?

SirPouyan likes this.
  18. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Good
    Is F167 project canceled or postponed ?

19. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    #1520 day355, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    When you think it s the end, it s not totally the end

20. gliazzurri

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    MidnightRun, SirPouyan and JTSE30 like this.
  21. SirPouyan

SirPouyan Karting
    BANNED

Oct 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    SirPouyan
    This thread on FofH should be derailed (because the dealer is trying to influence the OP's buying decisions) but it has flushed out some interesting posts.

gliazzurri likes this.
  22. aobao1993

aobao1993 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2017
    what surprise ?

23. SirPouyan

SirPouyan Karting
    BANNED

Oct 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    SirPouyan
    Presumably, a serious lightweight version of the 812 (VS).

Here is a happy thought - which would be another good surprise: Ferrari SpA is going to seriously curtail new orders for anything for a while. Which should give a lot of support under used car prices. And will make it pretty hard to get a new build allocation for a few months. Which will add even more support to used car prices.

24. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Not likely to happen. If anything additional shifts to make up for lost production

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat