458 -v- F8 Tributo | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 -v- F8 Tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Michael Petersen, May 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The F12 doesn't feel that big to me and it actually handles pretty well, much better than I expected.

Adamas and x z8 like this.
  2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    That was my experience with the 812 also. I wonder if someone who has owned both an F12 and also an 812 will chime in with their 2 cents.

Ray

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  3. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I have posted this review several times before, but your request might warrant my doing so again. As a previous owner of a F12 and a current owner of a 812, I feel like I am well-positioned to discuss the differences as I see them. I wrote this last summer after taking delivery of my 812. I hope this helps.

If I’m honest with myself, I was more than a little concerned about the price walk between my perfectly awesome F12 and the 812. The dollar gap’s considerable and I was worried that the juice might not be worth the squeeze. Even though I had the opportunity to thrash a new 812 at Road Atlanta as part of Corsa Pilota last summer, I still wondered how it might work for my primary driving, which largely consists of carving up the twisty’s in North Carolina. I felt then, and still do now, that the F12 is 85-90% of the 812. That extra 10-15% has a considerable price. To me though, in the end, it was worth it. And I say this as an unabashed superfan of the F12. Here is what makes the 812 worth the price of admission:
    • 4WS - This new addition goes a long ways to reducing the overall feel of size and heft that is ever-present in the F12. Both cars are remarkably nimble, but the 4WS presents a significant upgrade.
    • Gearbox - The shifts are much quicker, especially the downshifts. My biggest gripe on the F12 was the relatively slow downshift. Compared to my Performante, it felt very much DCT 1.0. The 812 removes that criticism altogether. Added bonus is the shifts come quicker, which means there’s more of them. Also, they are more authoritative, not so much a slam (like a single clutch Aventador), but just very much both quick and abrupt.
    • Noise - Hard to improve on the F12, but the 812 is louder, which for me, is a huge win. To my ear, the cold start is much much louder.
    • Power - The F12 is freakishly overpowered. It’s a white knuckled affair every time you slam the accelerator. The 812 is even more powerful, and shockingly, the power upgrade is readily apparent.
    • Confidence inspiring - Despite the obvious power upgrade, the 812 is more planted and creates far more assurance and certainty. The F12 always had a Jekyll and Hyde quality that I found endearing, but the 812 gently shifts towards Jekyll and away from Hyde.
    • Turn in - I actually really liked the light and fast steering feel in the F12 and I always thought the turn in was surprisingly engaging. The 812 is greatly refined in its steering feel and directional control.
    • My spec - The 812 is my first time creating a Ferrari spec and I love how it turned out. My worry regarding the spec took on a life of its own over the last several months, but all that trepidation was for naught. It’s exactly how I wanted it to be. Added bonus, my wife loves the spec. She actually called it “elegant and tasteful”. This last part is special as my wife is completely nonplussed on my car addiction. That she actually likes the 812 is an unexpected windfall. (For context, she thinks my Rosso Mars Performante is silly, maybe even a little douc***.)
    Bottom line, the 812 is a massive step forward from the already perfectly incredible F12. It’s a forever car for me and I look forward to many years and miles spent thoroughly exploring its capabilities and personality.

Roland1688, BCHOW, LVP488 and 3 others like this.
  4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    That's great. Thanks very much. That's just the sort of rundown I was seeking.

Would love to see a couple of photos of your car as well.

Ray

5. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    wow. This is something!

6. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    only 30 in the whole country is so little, considering how many 458 had been sold in US.

7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Just Spiders.

8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I can appreciate the affection for spiders as the open air driving experience is exhilarating. However, the compromise in chassis rigidity with its attendant flexing and cabin resonances and rattles, leaves me unimpressed, with the exception of Mclarens, due to the carbon fibre tub. Furthermore, a spider for track use is completely counter productive. A spider as a secondary car to be driven on nice days is a viable option.

9. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I love both the Speciale and the Pista. The F8 is a fine car, I just prefer that which the Pista delivers.

Similarly, I prefer the rawness of the F12 over the 812. And vastly prefer the fantastic F12 TdF.

For someone who tracks their cars over 60 days a year, I clearly have a bias toward a more visceral, lighter weight, higher performance machine. Even on track though, when not driving a race car, I find the Speciale and Pista are my preferred street cars to take on track. There is something more comfortable, more enjoyable, more perfect with those cars than with the competition.

ekosan, Roland1688 and tekaefixe like this.
  10. Lovedriving

Lovedriving Karting

Jul 14, 2018
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Eric D'Amours
    I had the opportunity of test driving the F8 earlier this week and I largely agree with the OP and the comments above.

Here’s a supplement of my own. I have a 458 and I was expecting to get “more” with the F8 given it’s two generations ahead. Here are the “more” factors I got:

- Steering: Faster and the turns feel more planted than the 458
    - Acceleration and speed: Faster obviously
    - Interior: Great finish (my test car had Alcantara everywhere) and the interior design refresh is welcome
    - Electronics and knobs: up to date
    - Body style: Subjective but I find it fantastic

That’s it for the list of “more”. The thing is that the F8 driving experience is completely different, more like a 720 S than a 458 actually. The F8 is less raw and more controlled (some will say refined). Is the F8 better? A Speciale is “better” than a 458 Italia. A Pista is “better” than a 488 GTB. But comparing a 458 to an F8 is tough. It all depends on what you’re looking for. I like high emotions (raw, loud, speed feel, on-off throttle, tail happy) more than high performance on a race track. I like a reasonable level of comfort but I don’t need it to be luxurious, I have other cars for that. So for me, as much as I wanted to like the F8, it is not a replacement for my 458.

In terms of availability, I was surprised to learn that the dealer (Ferrari of Ontario) still has production spots of deliveries at the end of 2020/early 2021.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VAF84, plastique999, Isobeing and 2 others like this.
  11. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    The throttle can easily be fixed, mine is. My 458 serves its purpose, and when I find something that serves that purpose better I will get that. It will probably be the 4C spider I plan to buy take apart and rebuild. Things like this are simple for me.

12. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    You will change the 458 for the 4c?

13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Going for another test drive of the F8 on Monday. First will go to the Bentley dealer and then compare it to the F8.

14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Good move! Make sure to drive the S.

15. Nel1

Nel1 Karting

Jul 11, 2012
    Absolutely understand your decision. I drove my Speciale to the dealership to test drive the F8 for 30 minutes or so. Wonderful car but driving back home in the Speciale made it clear that I would not replace it with an F8. To each his own, but for me, the Speciale feels more alive and offers a more exiting driving experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Dunno, I’m pretty happy with my 458 Spider, and see no reason to jump to something else anytime soon. This car is an unbelievable fair weather, open air driving experience. That’s its sweet spot, and that’s how I use it.

I’m under no illusions that it would ever be a car worth tracking.

17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Obviously because the other Bentley models do not share the driving dynamics of the F8 the same way the S does. I want to compare apples to apples.

Gh21631 likes this.
  18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Funny. Isn't there an R version for the Bentleys as well?

19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    How often do you drive the Speciale? Most just sit in a garage because people are afraid of adding miles and losing value. The F8 is meant to be driven, even daily if you want. It will depreciate regardless.

20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #45 Shadowfax, May 31, 2020
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
    If you approach it with an open unbiased mind you will see what exactly what I'm talking about. These two are are very similar with exception to the superior pull of the F8 under wot. They are connected in their own ways but equally disconnected and overtly subtle. It's excusable in the Bentley but not the Ferrari. There is simply no mongrel in the F8 whatsoever. Actually, go and drive a 600lt after and you will feel all of the excitement the Ferrari was supposed to have - although you may well find what you are looking for there actually. At least it delivers what these cars are all about. So if you haven't driven one you should just to restore some perspective into this equation. Use the 600lt as the circuit breaker. And they are now VERY well priced.

21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    My reference standard for exhilarating , thrilling driving dynamics is the Performante. I don't need the 600LT as a standard.

Dicecal likes this.
  22. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I will never purchase a limited edition car that I will be filled with anxiety everytime I want to drive it. As an investment, there are far more lucrative alternatives. I derive extreme joy in driving super cars and look forward to every opportunity to do so. Simply gazing at the car in the garage is fundamentally insufficient. I can make a sexual analogy but I am going to resist that urge.

Isobeing likes this.
  23. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Dude give it a break with your stupid F8 is the same as a Bentley comparison. One is a super heavy GT car and one is a light weight sports car. They are the same like your Pista is to a Camaro. Let it go, we know what you think you don’t have to mention it every time!

DOWORKFCAR, jim g, x z8 and 3 others like this.
  24. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    A Pista or a Camaro taking up space in my garage.. that's a tough one.

Ray

25. Nel1

Nel1 Karting

Jul 11, 2012
    Unfortunately not as frequent as I would like... I have put 2,500 miles in the last 3 years. The main reason is that I just don’t have a lot of opportunities to drive it. I can’t drive it to work (I used to drive my Scud to the office a couple of times per week when I was based @ corporate office) and weekends are full with family activities. There are weeks in a row that it does not get used, but that would be the same case if it were an F8 or any other 2-seat sports car.
    I have to admit that I like the idea of holding the value (who doesn’t??); however, that is not the reason why mine doesn’t get driven much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Euroryno likes this.