Corvette track experience? | FerrariChat

Corvette track experience?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by sainthoo, May 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Anyone have advice on tire pressures for such a heavy car? I have a C8, going to track next weekend- never tracked anything in the 3800# range.

Thinking I should aim for 35 psi hot? See how much shoulder wear I get and go from there.

Any insight appreciated.

2. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Tire brand, sizing and rating would help those willing to offer advice.

3. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Good point factory wheels and tires - PS4S

4. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    First, need to know your skill level regardless of first time out with this car. I would start my ZR1 out at 30psi and level off at 34-35psi on PS2's after about 20min. Given your car is heavier you might consider 28 and check them after 3-4 laps. Track temps will play a role in this too.

5. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Thank you.

I’ve got plenty of track time, amateur racer in open wheel (Ariel Atom), various sedans- on the podium mostly. I’ve also played around with street cars on track 308, M3’s, 570S, 600LT. I accidentally corded tires on an M3 by not setting pressures high enough for the heavy car and street tires (my skill beyond my knowledge- set pressures to 28/29psi, crushed side walls, corded outside in 4 sessions- oops), which is why I posed the question.

I am just out to have a good time, not trying to be some HPDE hero/jackass. I did have the dealer set to GM spec for track which is frankly aggressive (camber -3 front, -2.5 rear)

6. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Sounds like you know what your doing and will have a great time. Let us know how it goes.

7. Speed and Angels

Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    I run my 2019 Grand Sport on Michelin Cup 2 tires, pretty much the golden rule is do not exceed 36 psi hot. I start at 26 psi cold and that will get me 35-36 psi after about 25 min at COTA or MSR Cresson.

sainthoo likes this.
  8. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Still sorting things out, like didn’t burnish pads enough on street, which made things a bit hairy for the first half of the first session.

For reference: ambient temps, mid 70’s
    Cold 27 psi, got them up to 32 psi hot. So, I added air to get to 35 psi.

Second session: ambient temps upper 70’s, long cool down, filled with gas, tires cooled some- read 34 psi, so I’m keep them there for the rest of the day.

Decent tire wear, think I’ll make it 2 full days (8 sessions).

Initial impression (I’m still learning): street suspension is a bit soft, lots of weight to move around, so patience is a virtue (and not one of mine). Fast and fun.

Still sorting through pdr (can’t seem to figure out how to download a track into Cosworth app, but I can make a “custom” track)

9. Speed and Angels

Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    I am a regular on both, you will get waaay more advice on PDR setup and corvette specific info on the corvette forum. Your brakes should work just fine if you don’t “burnish” your pads but you will go through them a bit faster.

YMMV.

10. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Okay C8 set up according to the pros

32-34 psi hot
    Goodyear cups (not Michelins - good for 1, maybe 2 laps)
    GM alignment, but need to take rake out of the car (don’t have details yet)

KNS will offer a 2 piece, aluminum hat rotor set.

Observation: oil temps ran up to 240+ consistently with ambient temps in mid 80’s, but this is “normal” not concerning until it gets to 280, apparently.

posted this in C8 thread, but for entertainment:

VAF84 likes this.
  11. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Danny Popp in Ohio and David Farmer in NC would be the two that I’ve seen set up C8’s for track duty. Both have years of experience setting up C5-up chassis and both are fierce competitors themselves. I’d recommend reaching out to one of them directly.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app