Hazard Switch Wiring | FerrariChat

Hazard Switch Wiring

Discussion in '308/328' started by BrockBenson, May 31, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BrockBenson

BrockBenson Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    Hi All,
    I've just had my console and controls out as part of replacing the silent blocks, shifter seals and shifter refurb. When I got everything back together, my hazard lights decided to not work. As there was quite a few weeks between disassembly and assembly I wonder if i messed up some of the wires or if the switch just happened to fail when I disturbed it? The indicators work fine, so I know the relay is fine. Would anyone know or have pictures of their switch with wires connected? or a wiring diagram that explains the wire colours relative to the positions on the switch? I've attached a couple of pix of my wires to the hazard light switch for reference.
    Oh yeah, car is 1984 308QV.
    Thanks, Brock
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Swap positions on blue/black-stripe and blue/white-stripe.

Steve Magnusson likes this.
  3. BrockBenson

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    Hi Thorn, thanks for picking that up. I had my suspicions that I messed up a couple of wires, it was too much of a coincidence that the hazards failed at the same time I removed the console! I'll try swapping them over and hopefully that will be it :)

4. BrockBenson

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    Hi Thorn and everyone,

I swapped the blue/black with the blue/white striped wires. Unfortunately it made no difference. Still no hazard lights. I did discover that the turn signals work as per normal when turning right, but when turning left they don't, unless I lift the turn lever slightly back to the middle position. Then the left turn signal works.

I know the turn signal operates through the hazard switch first, but wasn't sure if this is significant to the hazard issue or the other way around? Does anyone have a test procedure for the hazard switch? or a way I can jump the wires to bypass the hazard switch so I can isolate if its the hazard switch or the turn signal switch?

I hate electrical issues ....regardless of the vehicle. Especially when it all worked fine before I pulled the console out!!! :(

Thanks BB

5. Tonksy1

Tonksy1 Karting

Jun 21, 2016
    New Zealand
    Sometimes the contacts in the switch can get a bit bad, I had this problem before and simply switching the switch off and on a dozen times can get it operating again. Worth a try at least.

6. BrockBenson

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    Thanks Tonsky1, I had read that, and tried it several times with no luck!

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Check fuse #6, and measure the voltage on the H (grey) wire at the hazard switch relative to ground -- it should always be +12V (even with the key "off").

Are your "open door lights" on the doors themselves working when the door is open?

8. BrockBenson

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    Hi Steve, your tip lead me to the answer, but not as expected! I had already tested the #6 fuse which was fine. The door lights work fine too. When I checked the grey wire at the hazard switch, there was no power. Hmmm. But when I looked at #6 fuse again (red circle below) I noticed there was no grey wires connected to that terminal. A little searching and I found the hazard wires connected to #4 fuse (green arrow) which is the rear window defog, and that fuse was blown. Hence the no hazard issue! I remembered when I pulled the console the defog switch fell apart, and I repaired it, so maybe that fuse blew at that time. Anyway I moved the hazards back to #6 fuse, and all works well.

As an aside, like a few things on my 308 there has been some messing about done by previous owners. I noticed the top of #6 fuse runs across to #17 fuse (purple arrows) with an aftermarket wire? Any idea why this would be the case? Where should those terminals connect?

Cheers BB
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #9 Steve Magnusson, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    The schematic for euro version 1982-86 308QV and US version 1984-85 308QV is included in the back of the OMs. You should get the one for your version if you don't have one (for a lot of reasons) -- 248/82 OM for euro version and 307/84 OM for US version.

That added "jumper" is a cheesy way to supply +12V power to fuses #16, 17, and 18 (which are all connected together at the top by the fuseblock). The way it should be is:

1. There should be a fairly large gauge red wire connected to the top of fuse #7. This wire supplies +12V to the tops of fuses #6 and #7 (which are connected together by the fuseblock). The red wire originates from the +12V power distribution block mounted behind (or maybe below) the relay panel -- on the schematic it is called "7 - AMP terminal board (4 way)" -- it has a bunch of red wires.

2. There should be another fairly large red wire going from the power distribution block to the top of fuse #16 (supplying fuses #16, 17, and 18).

With that "jumper", all of the current used for fuses #6, 7, 16, 17, and 18 flows in the single wire going to the top of fuse #7; whereas, in the stock situation, the current for fuses #6 and #7 is in one wire, and the current for fuses #16, 17, and 18 is in another wire. Why someone would need to do this is a mystery to me -- it should be rather straight-forward to have a (red) wire going from the power distribution block to fuse #16 (or 17 or 18) rather than using that jumper.

10. BrockBenson

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks for your usual detailed response. Much appreciated. I do have the owners manual but that diagram is so small its next to impossible to read. I'll see if I can do a hi-res scan of it and print it out in larger format. Regardless, you've given me enough info to clean up those fuse block wires!
    Cheers BB