348 - 348 and other Pininfarina work... | FerrariChat

348 348 and other Pininfarina work...

Discussion in '348/355' started by cardude442, May 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    A mighty big thank you to everyone that helped me make my first foray into F-car ownership a pleasant one. Last year, after the purchase and subsequent major at Ferrari of Atlanta, the 1,100+ mile drive home and then a clutch rebuild with new bearing and flange from Hill Engineering, I have enjoyed driving it here in New Hampshire the past few weeks and logged quite a few miles. Some were just ‘pick up my daughter from work’, others were some great country driving.

Forgot to mention the speedometer rebuild!

I still have some jobs to do on it. Next will be tackling the HVAC system. The flap was off the car at the bottom, but the AC has held and still blows cold. I ran into a problem with E8 code when using heat and when the revs get low. I have found good threads for each.

Taking a short break to work on my other Pininfarina car, a 76 Triumph Spitfire. :) Fulfilling a promise to the wife to reduce cars in the garage. It’s time to get it (Spitfire) onto the next person to enjoy. Keeping me occupied during the COVID19 furlough.

Hope everyone is safe, and I will work on my YouTube channel if anyone is interested in following that adventure.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

308 GTB and Wade like this.
  2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White

Isn't the 348 a treat to drive? It really is. It fits me perfectly, I love the steering, its quick reflexes nature, and on my car, I love the targa top.

Regarding the Spitfire, it was not a Pininfarina design. It, along with many other Triumphs from that era, was designed by Michelotti. I've kind of always wanted one for some reason.

ATLdoghouse and cardude442 like this.
  3. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    I too drove my 348TS from Georgia to NJ (not as far as you)... but I should have learned from you as I opted to have my work done by an independent... Not an authorized Ferrari dealer. As the car was leaking oil after I got it home, I had to have the work re-done. I too love driving the car and I'm amazed how many folks just love seeing it on the road (my Aston martin Vantage might as well be a Camry)... Enjoy your weekend and get that YouTube post done. Image Unavailable, Please Login

jjmalez, Wade, cardude442 and 2 others like this.
  4. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Triumph Spitfire (and TR6 and Stag) were deigned by Michelotti. Austin Farina was by Pininfarina as well as a number of other BMC cars.

cardude442 and 308 GTB like this.
  5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Mark - You mean the recirculation flap door was on the bottom of the evaporator box cavity? Usually it's the pin which shears off because that flap is bonkers heavy. At Ricambi America, we have a Hill Engineering replacement pin which often solves the problem (because the flap isn't available as a 'new' spare item) : RC348. The little motor thingy, which hopefully you don't need, is also available here: 63306700

A well sorted 348 A/C system is 'acceptable'. Meaning you might get freezing cold feet, or you might get some puffs of cool air on your face (like a mouse blowing on an ice cube), but it's not going to be anything like a GMC Truck's ability to freeze hades in Florida.

6. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Great add - thanks!

7. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thank you Dan! You've been a big help sorting the clutch out. I'm going to look at the box and make an assessment in the coming weeks. I think it's just the pin, but I'll be checking the other parts (there was a great thread I bookmarked on this site) and I'll let you know.

It's 90 degrees one day and 68 degrees the next here in New Hampshire.

BTW - it's one of those cold days that tossed an E8 (when using heat) and I need to figure out if it's the board or the electric assist pump (following another thread here).

No shortage in sorting things out. : )

8. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The 348 is a joy to drive. It's quite 'raw' and connected. I prefer not having power assisted steering, etc. It gives a great feel to the road!

Thanks for the pointer on Michelotti!

bjwhite likes this.
  9. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Gorgeous car! I sank a bit of coin with FofA, but it helped my confidence in the car after the purchase. The tech that worked on it was trained on the 348 when it was released! I can't speak highly enough about their work, but yes it did have a premium.

I've worked on it since and the car is fun to work on.

Aston Martin Vantage? Nice! My wife prefers my Mercedes SL600 (a much faster car) as it's quieter and has the creature comforts. I'm hoping the 348 will grow on her. : )

10. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ferrarium likes this.
  11. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
  12. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    cardude442 likes this.
  13. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
  14. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    And Michelotti is to TR7/8 as Michelotto is to 348. ;)

cardude442 likes this.
  15. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    Like what? Honestly, I owned a TR7 in high school and my best friend had a Spitfire. Granted, it's been 30 years but I can't think of a single part they had in common.