Williams F1 | Page 29 | FerrariChat

Williams F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by BJMoravek, Mar 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Well, truth to be told, Sauber is still Sauber Motorsport. I don't see a problem in having a "fantasy" name such as Alfa Romeo.

2. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I might be wrong but to me the main cause of difference is not only the language & proximity to France, but also because Geneve got very influenced by Marxism & and the 1968 movement, just as almost all of Western Europe. On the other hand, Zürich or even Ticino stayed somewhat immune to these crazy ideas. The results are very visible today: Romandie has the highest income tax rates and the highest unemployment rate.

tifosi12 likes this.
  3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    So you would insult 2 famous F1 names in one go.

I think Chapman must have turned in his grave when he saw what was done to his brand by Genii and Tony Fernandez a few years ago.
    There is no need to add to it !

4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Alfa Romeo is a typical case of unashamed brand abuse.
    First it was hijacked by FIAT and affixed on cars that had absolutely no DNA with the Milanese make.
    Now its logo is used by an indifferent racing team.

5. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Which FIATs had Alfa badges?

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It started soon after Alfa Romeo became part of the FIAT group.
    Instead of allowing Alfa to continue with its own engines, FIAT imposed FIAT engines under the bonnets of the Milanese cars.
    The Alfa Coupés and convertibles were discontinued and all Alfa became front-wheel drive, sharing many components with FIAT.
    In fact, the mid-range FIATs became labelled Alfa Romeo.
    At one point, FIAT put GM engines in Alfas!
    They even had a Nissan engine in an entry-level Alfa once !
    Entry-level and Alfa shouldn't even be in the same sentence !!!

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    This is not P & R, I was just saying I enjoy visiting Geneva very often. I actually don't have anything to do with Swiss people when in Geneva except shop and restaurant employees. They are very reserved like Swiss Germans. I could also tell you what I think about Swiss Germans, there are many reasons why they are so different beginning with totally different cultures, latin and Germanic. One just wasted over 5 years of my life on a project and cancelled without explanation or apology, just a tiny compensation, an uncouth gruff peasant in a suit, not the first time there.

But let's go back on topic. I hope Williams can survive but the fall seems unstoppable and in this economy to find a buyer other than that Mazepin for yet another zillionaire son...

8. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I agree with most of what you say, but they made some cool FIAT-era Alfas, even though they were FWD: the 156, the 164 and the 166.

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

For an Alfista, it was simply a tragedy to watch what FIAT did to Alfa Romeo and Lancia.
    FIAT didn't want to rescue these names, just to swallow them, capture their market (but they failed) and use their names.
    I remember when Alfa had a complete range of saloons, coupés, cabriolets, sport, with bodies designed by Ghia, Bertone, Pininfarina etc ...
    Alfa competed in international rallying, in DTM (beating Mercedes and BMW!), in endurance (they were world champion), etc ...
    Also remember that Alfa Romeo was at the origin of F1, winning the 2 first championships!
    The same can be said about Lancia ...

Flavio_C likes this.
  10. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I don't really agree. Alfa were a maker of rather unremarkable cars before they were acquired by FIAT. 80's Alfa's rusted so quickly you could almost watch them rust, they have an awful reliability reputation and by most accounts the glory days of the 60's and 70's were gone. Was the 155 a good car, debatable, were the spider and GTV's better cars, yes, in fact I'd argue a GTV 3.0 was perhaps one of the better Alfa's built in the 25 years prior to its launch.
    In my view without FIAT, Alfa wouldn't be around today.

Lancia...there I agree with you.

11. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    If I were a buyer, I would not give a crap about the history of the team. I would be worrying about what it would take to drag the team out of the F1 basement and get back to the front of the bloody grid.

Remy Zero likes this.
  12. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Just needs some decent leadership and a technical director that knows what he/she is doing

13. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

They are starting with a dis-advantage. It will take more money than they are allowed to spend in the future I think.....................

Simon^2 and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I would have prefered that.

It's better to fail honorably than to linger disgracefully.

There are plenty of great makes that exist no more, but left a good memory.

15. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    OK. If that's the case, I ask what's the point?

16. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Sorry, but I disagree. The current Alfa Romeo cars are quite good.

17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    It's a buyer's market, offer pennies on the pound.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Not possible for decades by any major manufacturer.

pilotoCS likes this.
  19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

No?
    Have a look at Audi, Mercedes and BMW.

They are still proposing ranges with sedans, estates, hatchbacks, SUVs, Coupés, and cabriolets, also front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, 4x4,
    The Germans have taken over the market the Italians have neglected.

I remember when Alfa had 6cyl 2600cc sedan, coupé and cabriolet, also the Guilia and Guilietta in sedan, estate, then the Guilietta GT and the Guilia GT coupés and Junior, and also the Duetto cabriolet with a choice of engines.
    Lancia had the Fulvia, Flavia and Flaminia declined in sedans, coupé too, and some cabriolets.
    You could also have the Lancia Fulvia, Flavia and Flamina coupés Zagato.
    All of that is gone.

In the early 60s, BMW produced only one car: a small 2-door with a motorcycle engine, look at them now!
    At the time Volkswagen only had one model: the Beetle.
    Now VW has a complete range; they own Audi, Lamborghini (ex-Chrysler!), SEAT (ex-FIAT!), SKODA, Porsche, plus Bentley and Bugatti!

It looks like the Italians have been asleep during the last 4 decades!!

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You are welcome to disagree.
    I only gave my opinion, but your are entitled to yours.

21. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I agree 100%. But AFAIK, Alfa was almost bankrupt when FIAT bought it. Same for Lancia.

Also, the 155, which was the model in which the almost "prototype" DTM was based, used the FIAT Tempra/FIAT Tipo platform.

Lancia is a dead brand. The Y is the only model being produced and it is the same car for more than 10 years.

Boomhauer likes this.
  22. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003

If there is life, there is hope.

Many brands were nowhere at some point and managed to come back. And even handcuffed Alfa has done some memorable cars these last years, like the 4C or the Giulia QV.

stavura, 635CSI and pilotoCS like this.
  23. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Poor Lancia . . . I do feel sorry for them. They offered a re-badged Chrysler 300 as a ???? I forgot, but that was pathetic.

william likes this.
  24. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

That is the question about F1 and its identity to the future. One the new regulations are not addressing. The pandemic is accelerating changes in many areas. F1 is attempting to change but focused on cost vs formulae. Its movement towards more spec-series is confusing given what it has stood for in the past. Unless the formula is successful in 2022 and 2023 I can see F1 becoming less relevant or attractive as an entity. Formula E is on the rise with tech and general trend of auto motivation formats not F1 in my opinion. I also am not stating I prefer Formula E at all.

I hope F1 keeps its constructor/competitor identity it has been losing of late. With the top teams having so much influence around the series, smaller teams are not having the impact needed to deflect this. Aston Martin does not show me much for the future at all. A cheap stock buy but it languishes as a maker of cars and using the name for the team is about as impactful as using Caterham was recently. Luxury brands will struggle in the near term. Ferrari and Porsche will by and far be exceptions due to their brand strength. Aston LOL.....................no.

The top teams will not allow their names to suffer to smaller teams who suffer fewer penalties in development system recently approved. When the world GDP develops again those recently approved cost factors will not last a Mercedes or Ferrari challenge at the FIA. They simply have too much influence. We say we want competiton but the recent rules approved are a re-enactment of old rules we did not like on this forum from what I recall. Budgets have no where to evolve but upward LOL.

25. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Elegance and refinement, specifically tailored to those who appreciate exclusive ownership one week at a time....

375+ likes this.