Superformance Or ....... | FerrariChat

Superformance Or .......

Discussion in '308/328' started by sltillim, May 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    I am about to do my first large order of parts for my GT4. I have been using the superformance website for years because it does the best ecommerce listing of products. They also seem to have a good amount of uprated parts and guidance as to what parts are specific to model, even serial number cutoffs. They seem to have a lot for our 3X8 family of cars.

For those of you ordering from the stateside vendors (Ferrparts, Ted Rutland's, Ricambi, etc) do you feel like they have a similar product offering? Do they offer you guidance when ordering over the phone? Do you find they are a better or worse pricing than ordering from the UK?

I am in California. Shipping times don't matter as much as getting good service and having a complete offering. I don't necessarily care about having the horse on the box....

Any feedback is very appreciated!

Thank you,
    Spencer

2. SamN

SamN Rookie

Oct 27, 2015
    modesto califorinia
    Hi Spencer,

I have been restoring my GT4 for the past two years. I have used Superformance, Dino Parts, Ferrparts and Maranello Classic Parts. The diagrams and part highlighting on Maranello Classic diagrams is amazing. You can use each diagram as an instruction manual for building your 1:1 scale model GT4.

Prices vary wildly between all those suppliers listed above so you do have to put your time in.

Regards,
    Sam

pshoejberg and sltillim like this.
  3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    #3 thorn, May 30, 2020
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Ricambi is not the only source I've even used for parts, but most often they are my first choice. They're not always the least expensive, either - but, I've never had an issue with any product purchased there. And the shipping time is quite nice as well. I've heard stories that are hit/miss with certain European sources; whether common or rare, it's enough that those would be my last choice.

I don't care about the logo on the box, but I do want something that isn't a gamble... and Daniel has met that requirement every single time.

TurtleFarmer, mike996 and waymar like this.
  4. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have used them all and have come to favor T Rutlands. They have a warehouse in Monterey so if you're in California you can often get stuff next day without any special charges.

sltillim likes this.
  5. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Might be worth calling first to check if they have what you want in stock. I placed an order for tail light seals a month ago and received a cancellation email explaining the seals come from Italy and that was currently not possible due to COVID disruption.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Nuvolari and sltillim like this.
  6. Nino1964

Nino1964 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2015
    North Georgia
    I'm in north Georgia and have had my best experiences with Superformance. I've used T Rutlands in a pinch but their prices are much higher.

sltillim likes this.
  7. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I use all listed ... PLUS MANY OTHERS.

All depends on what I am looking for and how fast I need it.

'Parts NOW' + Shipping, the Total Price is not so critical.

'SHELF PARTS' of which I have enough to almost build a car that NEVER EXISTED ;), are on a whim and Price + Shipping is, ALL IMPORTANT.

NO Supplier has really 'let me down' too much on $Price, but on $hipping,

WATCH YOUR ASS.

sltillim likes this.
  8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Just want to give SuperformanceUK (and DHL) some positive feedback -- ordered Mon PM my time, delivered Thurs PM my time, and exactly what I ordered. Shipping wasn't cheap, but I still came out way ahead on price.

V4NG0 likes this.
  9. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I have also had good experiences with Superformance. It’s amazing how quickly the orders arrive coming from the UK. The prices are hard to beat as well, although, I don’t believe that the quality is as good as some of the other sources.

10. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You need to watch the exchange rate too. At one time a GBP was $1.75 but in 2017 it was down to $1.25 and now it's somewhere around $1.50

11. Paul Kane

Paul Kane Karting

May 27, 2020
    Rickmansworth UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Kane
    I’ve used Superformance for 328 and 430 parts, sometimes they just don’t fit or spec is far short of OEM, if Maranello OEM parts are available and price not to far away I’ll pay the extra ££ for OEM.
    SF are good on returns/refunds.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I think the part in bold is a generalization that is a little bit unfair, and could give people the wrong impression.

Superformance deal with a number of suppliers, some of whom are rated extremely highly in the Ferrari World, such as Hill Engineering, and many of whom also supply other sources.

In addition, with quite a few parts, Superformance offer a choice of suppliers, and the prices vary in such a manner that you can judge for yourself which is more likely to be the superior quality part.

My advice to anyone looking for Ferrari parts is:

Shop around before you make a purchase.

Don't automatically assume that Ferrari themselves will be more expensive than independent parts suppliers - That's not always the case.

Be wary of some parts for sale on places such as Ebay - There's a good chance the seller has simply bought the parts from Ferrari/independent suppliers, and is then selling them on Ebay for a massive mark up! (Things such as nose badges, grill badges, targa roof pins, key rings, trim pieces etc., etc., etc.)

13. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

it’s not unfair if it’s true. Hey, I am a fan and a customer, it’s been great to see the number of parts that they carry grow substantially of the years. Sure, the name brand items that they carry are of similar quality as everyone else, however, their non brand name items certainly aren’t OEM quality, (fit and finish, etc.).

Paul Kane likes this.
  14. Erol

Erol Karting

Sep 1, 2020
    New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Erol
    I’ve had some good experiences with Algar. Really knowledgeable people and prices have been reasonable.