Mercedes 190E 2.3-16 | FerrariChat

Mercedes 190E 2.3-16

Discussion in 'Other German' started by leeber, Jun 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Does anyone in the forum have a Mercedes 190E 2.3-16? I am thinking of buying a Euro version and importing it into the USA. Dont know why I cant get these out of my system of "car wanted" over the last 3 years!

2. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Can't be of much help but I have been a fan of the 190 Cosworth for about 30 years.

3. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
  4. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I had manual with dogleg pattern in 1986 and Auto in 1987.
    Very well balanced and fun to drive but performance was underwhelming even then, I remember complaining that the chassis was so good it deserved at least a 40-50HP more then it had.
    Manual was hands down a better car, Automatic was just lazy and slow.

leeber likes this.
  5. AndersForsberg

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Anders Forsberg
    You'd think that my first ever message at FC would be about a Ferrari, and not involving a Merc with fewer valves than it should have.
    All kidding aside... I just wen't browsing the forums and happened upon this thread before I can actually get cracking on researching 348's to see if that's a worthy first foray into Ferrari territory.

Like I said, I'm missing a few valves and some 50 odd horsepower on my own 190.
    I did go looking for a 2.3 16V a while back, though. Test drove one of them and @absent isn't really that far off.
    Buuut... I've also driven an E30 BMW M3 and I can't really say that it was thaaaat much more excting. And that's at least double the money these days.
    Don't expect to be wowed by it's performance, but it's good to get thing's out of your system. Go for it!
    But do the manual one, for sure. And it can't really be a downside to have a 'better' car when it comes time to let it go. The USD is also strong compared to some local European currency.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Here is mine.
    A (prior to me) one-owner car with some period AMG-pieces.

tantumaude, Boomhauer and wax like this.
  6. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    190's are great cars, a 2.3-16 would be awesome. If you can do it, I say yes.

Boomhauer likes this.
  7. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    My favorite street Benz to drive. Euro is noticeably more rev happy than US. Go for it!

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Had a 92 190 2.6. Best car I have ever owned. Put over 800,000km on that car before it said goodnight. My father bought it new, and gave it to me, so that's combined milage.

9. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    im still looking. if anyone has a lead on finding a 190E 2.3-16 (1st choice) or 2.5-16 with cloth interior, manual trans, and air conditioning. please contact me.

10. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I like the styling of that era Mercs. My parents had a 190D at our Tahoe house. It was painfully slow. But I still liked the look and feel of that car. In 1989 we replaced the Merc with a BMW 325ix. The BMW was more fun to drive, but I miss the Merc more.

11. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Would love to find a low mileage example of one of these.

12. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I have a friend who is finishing up a low km euro 2.3 16v five speed. He imported it from Spain to the PacNW. Theoretically he will be selling it.

slm likes this.
  13. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Would love too talk if/and when.

14. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    slm likes this.
  15. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Does this one have A/C, manual trans, and cloth seat inserts. I recently saw a spanish one that was almost perfect for my desired specs but no a/c, and aware of an italian one from a friend that was pretty special, but its about $6k USD to get it here....not sure i wanna go through all that extra money for a 2.3-16. Adding $7k puts me in other cool car territory for some cars already in the US, like '86 mondial coupe, '83 911sc, or '04 911-40th anniv.

Any comments on this statement from real owners are always welcome. I used to live by rule to never buy before i drive, but internet and covid have changed the rules to buy before you drive and trust the seller after doing due diligence.

16. huayra

huayra Rookie

Nov 13, 2014
    Bad Bodendorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Jose Manuel Balbiani
    I have one... Actually, is car #9 in the Race of Champions won by Senna. Here the foto where you can see Senna, Lauda and my car driven by John Watson.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Tenney, BJK and mclaudio like this.
  17. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Sorry for the late response. My friend’s car is the dog leg five speed with cloth seat inserts…I think it has AC, but I’m not positive about that. He has put a full exhaust on it (tubular manifold with no cats), Bilsteins at all four corners, and new engine and transmission mounts. Someone told me that an Evo 190E just sold on BaT for some crazy number…close to half a million $$. Yikes!

leeber likes this.
  18. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    the prices on BAT for anything have been out of this world. I am still a big fan of the 190E 2.3-16. Thanks for sharing. Hope your friend enjoys the drive?