No Rear Testarossa Tires Available Anymore?! | Page 11 | FerrariChat

No Rear Testarossa Tires Available Anymore?!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by sachin, Apr 21, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
  2. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
  3. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  4. Hubs348

Hubs348 Karting

May 9, 2013
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    ingegnere and xplodee like this.
  5. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It took me a year to source (from USA) a set of OEM single lug 16 " wheels. It means I can keep the original MM wheels and tyres for originality. It was not a cheap option (I think 7k usd ) . I would have gone for the repo wheels (not were not around) if I had my time again as I have the originals if needed. I would guess today OEM 16 " single lug will be closer to 10 K usd. They are not available. Ferrari should put some pressure on Michelin to produce the original tyres even though it is very complex in production to make the MM as the tooling is all different and the volumes are relatively low , so costs to make are huge. But it is part of Ferrari heritage .

6. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Ferrari asked Pirelli to make these
    https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione/p-zero/225-50yr16-pirelli-p-zero.html
    &
    https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione/p-zero/255-50yr16-pirelli-p-zero-asimmetrico.html
    The TRX were too obstructively expensive for such a tiny volume of sales. It would be a good few years ago that Michelin lastmade the old 280/45VR415 TRX tyres. We still list on here https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/ferrari/testarossa.html
    I cannot begin to tell you how few we sold. I don't think i ever managed toget into double figures in a year. In fact there were at least 2 years where i only sold 2 in 12 months. The laws about the materials and chemicals they could use in the production of tyres changed, so Michelin had to re addrress how they made them. Because it was such an obscure size they no longer had many machines that could make the 415 TRX tyres. This tyre was a massive thorn in the side for Michelin, because they did spend a lot of time money and effort into doing it and it all got scratched, because it was such a pain in the (you know what), for such dismal volume sales.
    I am a big advocate of Michelin. their build quality is exceptional, I sell loads and don't get complaints. Their inovative contribution to the automotive industry over the years is greater than most other tyre manufactures. Their contribution towards making classic tyres when no one else cared, i think these days, is unsurpassed since Dunlop dropped out. For years 205/70VR14 for the Dino was tricky except for Michelin. they do still maintain a small TRX range for the 400 and the 308, i guess they were probably the only comapny making 215/70VR15 and 205VR14 for Vintage Ferrari for years as well. Michelin have been a brilliant constant, though it is unfortunate that the 280/45-415 is lost.
    We can't really blame Michelin. The reason it stopped, is because no one bought them. (sorry to be so blunt)

acpracing likes this.
  7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Be interesting to watch those 288GTO wheels....I predict at least $8K your $10K estimate may be correct.

8. Hubs348

Hubs348 Karting

May 9, 2013
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    @BigTex The 288 GTO wheels ended up selling for $17,000. I’m happy

Veedub00 likes this.
  9. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  10. vegas488

vegas488 Rookie

Aug 19, 2016

Attached Files:

11. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Just wondering why you need other options of tyres?

There is Michelin and the genuine period Pirelli P-Zero system.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/ferrari/testarossa.html

If there weren't any suitable tyres, then i would understand why you might compromise the car by fitting other wheels. There aren't any TRX, but 16" is pretty close, and that is what Ferrai chose to fit. but why would you put the wrong size wheels on it so you could fit some inappropriate tyres when the best thing, and the right thing is just available ?

These guys have them in the States https://www.lucasclassictires.com/preview/Pirelli-Cinturato_c54.htm

i know it is easy and cheap buying 18" tyres. but they wont be as good. If it is easy and cheap you want, you have got the wrong car. Easy and cheap isn't as good.

12. jaisharma

jaisharma Karting

Aug 4, 2011
    South east, UK
    Full Name:
    Jai Sharma
    I have a monodado original set of 16 inch rims which I will put up for sale soon

13. vegas488

vegas488 Rookie

Aug 19, 2016
    I am referring to replacing the 16.3 in diameter wheels (metric) , there are no current tire options for those wheels

Also the 18" look more modern and Pirelli and Michelin are available for reasonable cost

14. vegas488

vegas488 Rookie

Aug 19, 2016
    Tires designed and produced 35 years after the 1985 michelin trx are much better quality.

15. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    I'm sorry that is missleading and not correct.

As far as quality goes; the Michelin TRX are still a Michelin tyre. The quality of the tyre is exceptional. A TRX tyre is of the same quality as a modern Michelin. these TRX Michelins are built in modern Michelin factories using modern quality control systems, and modern up to date compounds. It would be missguided to question the quality of the Michelin TRX.

As far as design goes; i think what you mean is that modern tyres are better technologically, which is sort of true but irrelavent to a TestaRossa because you are fitting them to an old chassis. so the 35 year old design is a better tyre to fit to a 35 year old chasiss.

Modern car design has moved on enabling cars to have stiffer lower suspention and clever suspention enabling the car to keepall the tread pattern of a modern tyre in contact with the road. on earlier cars without that ability more modern tyres do not handle as well on older cars.

16. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I'd be willing to bet that guy bought the set from Augment wheels and now wants to flip them for another set of wheels that caught his fancy. Seems like a good deal when you add up the cost of the wheels plus those tires. But if you miss this auction, check out Augment wheels on instagram to see what he can do. I have zero affiliation with him and haven't bought his wheels before, but damn they look so good in 18in, I'll probably sell my old 17" wheels at the next tire change in four years or so.

MOSS likes this.