Recommendations for good Leather upholsterer? | FerrariChat

Recommendations for good Leather upholsterer?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by ag512bbi, May 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I'm looking for a good leather guy who knows Ferraris in preferably Orange County. I'll go to LA if he is worth it.
    I have some finish up work on the interior of my Boxer that needs to be completed.
    Thank you in advance.

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Good luck.
    I've been looking for a good or preferably great upholsterer/trimmer years now with wide net covering the entire SoCal (from S.B. to S.D.) and interviewed or tried some of the most highly recommended, but have yet to come across one I myself would recommend.
    OTOH, we all have different expectations.

SoCal1 likes this.
  3. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I have an indirect recommendation. I use Randy Tippets of RMT in Yorba Linda as my mechanic. A couple of years ago I wanted to replace my dash and the leather on my steering wheel (both were a very boring tan and it also was subject to awful glare). Randy contracted it out to an upholstery guy and he did an incredible job at a very reasonable price. So I would call Randy and talk to him.

Here is a picture of the steering wheel and dash that he did. Hard to see but there is red top stitching in the black dash and he made the steering wheel two tone rather than just tan. The new tan portion of the steering wheel matched perfectly with the tan and red stitching of the rest of the car. I am very pleased with the job and two years later it is still perfect.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    That is some very nice work !

RonH likes this.
  5. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Thanks Mirek. I love my 612. Just was not wild about the dash. Thought I would spice it up a bit. I really like my dash and steering wheel and nobody has one like it. Even better!

6. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    A red 612.....nice.
    Totally cool man, must be a rare bird to begin with.

7. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Interesting.. red 612. I use to own a 2005 red/tan 612. Wonder if it's the same car?

8. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Nope Armen. Mine is a 2007. But unbelievably there are not many red 612s out there. Every other model yes, 612 no. I wanted a red one and it actually took me 2 years to find the one I wanted.

Fun car to drive. Gets lots of attention because it is red. My black 65 Vette gets more though. ;)

9. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Brocco likes this.
  10. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Beautiful either way!
    I hear ya with you '65 Vette. I have a '62 Vette and I get more attention with that than my Daytona. Kinda pisses me off ;). People are either patriotic (which is nice) or don't have a clue what a Daytona is.

11. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Armen, I had the Ferrari first and always got nods and smiles. It shocked me when I got the Vette how much more attention it got. What I think the deal is that everyone recognizes the old Vettes and it reminds them of their childhood and that is why they comment. Most dont know what Ferraris are and it doesnt evoke the same memories.

By the way, I love the 62. Has essentially the C2 rear (which I like a lot) and that incredible chrome nose and headlights without the hassle of the hidden headlights. I was actually looking to get a 62 because they are so special but had to follow the herd and get a C2.

12. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Always a fan of prestige since the 1980s

darth550 likes this.
  13. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
  14. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    You are 100% correct on that. It's all American and people could relate (and affordable). Not many grew up with Ferraris.

15. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Nice engine bay Jeff and I love your numbers! Here is mine. I put in a 383 with 440 HP and 485 FT LBS. So not nearly you numbers but it really moves my 65 down the road. I was trying to make it look old school so hence the fake labeling on the air cleaner.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    That looks killer, I dig it. 383 power, is it stroked ?

I built the engine “over-square” (4.155/4.0 stroke) and it put down 700HP when they broke the engine in at Westech and we finally got it in the car and tuned it put down 622 at the wheels.

Lots of other “bits” are required (cooling, trans, suspension) when you start playing in that HP range.

17. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Jeff, understood on your car. Way too big of a project for me! Even at my modest HP and torque I had to build a new tranny and rear end and beef up the suspension. Yours must be a killer!

If they ever reopen at HB and Supercars at the Beach they were going to have a Corvette day. You should bring your car to that.

18. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    By the way, yes the 383 is stroked. But I am using it as a mule for my real project. I am turning the original 327 into a 396. Using all of the hot race parts available (there are a ton) and even having Callies forge a custom crank for me (mega expensive and time consuming). So when done I will have a numbers matching (huge in the C2 world) 65 396 small block (the only C2s that had a 396 were in 65 for about 6 months and they are all big blocks and considered iconic). On the exterior the car will look totally like the original 396 big block.

Nobody else will be able to say they have what I have and I will be pushing more torque and hp than the original big blocks out of a much lighter engine! Mega bragging rights (at least in my own mind)! ;)

19. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    396 Big Block would be amazing. I would love to know the bore and stroke on such a build. Big Blocks are built SUPER Over-Square and I bet the stroke is under 4”. Cool build man.

BTW American Heritage Performance did my build down there by Signal Hill. They are Top Shelf LS guys.

20. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Jeff, it’s actually going to be a 396 Small Block. The bore is 30 over the small block’s original 4.00 bore but the stroke is 6” to achieve the big CI in a small block. The custom Callies crank is the backbone of this build, you really have to play around and have super small rod journals to achieve such a big stroke in a small block and then you really need a high quality crank to make that work.

Thanks for the heads up on American Heritage. I will check them out.

21. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ what rpm will it max out hp?

22. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I am going for low end, not top end. So I am targeting the torque to top out at around 5500 and the HP probably around 6000. That is about where my 383 is right now. The goal is a street cruiser with a lot of low end. For an old Vette that is where the action is IMHO. (It will be a ground shaker at a light). Of course it has an overdrive tranny and it can also cruise all day long at 90 as well.

23. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    I can refer you to the best artisan in SoCal. He’s in south San Diego. Does concours level work. Not cheap and tough to get on his schedule. PM if you are seriously interested.

24. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Got someone helping out. All that is really left now is the sun visors and luggage straps.
    I hear the sun visors are not easy, but I dont think I need a concours guy to complete them.
    Thank you though

25. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    I have the guy you are looking for, he is in Escondido and he is a master craftsman, an artist and does concourse work.

Oscar Reyes at Escondido Custom Upholstery.

He is currently doing my 1989 Modial t coupe and has done a Porsche for me as well as a 308

You can drop by and see the work he is doing on my car.

www.escondidocustomupholstery.com/

You can see my post about my Mondial here

Restoring my 1989 Mondial t
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/index.php?threads/Restoring-my-1989-Mondial-t.621713/

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat