Instrument binnacle re-trim | FerrariChat

Instrument binnacle re-trim

Discussion in '612/599' started by Jonny English, May 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jonny English

Jonny English Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The leather on my binnacle has shrunk badly. I have a good trimmer I use for other cars but he hasn't done one of these before. I wonder how long/ how much I can expect to pay on this and are there any shortcuts?

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I had my dash redone and that binnacle done at the same time. The real challenge is getting a match. Cost isn't much for the leather work; R&R is the lions share of the cost. I could check what it cost but it wouldn't help you much since they R&R my entire dash.

3. Jonny English

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thanks Skid kid ... will let you know how I get on

4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    As I recall, the leather work for both was about $1700. But, he was handed a dash and binnacle that was already removed.

5. Jonny English

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I will be taking it to the trimmer in a couple of weeks so will update then.

6. Jonny English

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    My car is with the trimmer and he is struggling to remove the binnacle without removing the whole dash. Has anyone just had the binnacle done without removing the dash?

7. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Definitely possible per the workshop manual. Just need to take off the steering wheel and the upper cowling. There was a thread on this recently actrually, and the OP said that he didn't even need to remove the steering wheel.

From M2.19 in the WSM:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Jonny English

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thanks brogenville ... I can't find the piece you mention on doing it without removing the steering wheel. Do you have it?

9. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    You don't need to remove the steering wheel at all in order to remove the instrument cluster. I'm not sure why the manual says to do so but I managed to easily remove it. If all you need to do is remove the instrument cluster, then this is how I did it:

1) Adjust the steering wheel all the way down
    2) Remove the bottom cover of the steering wheel column (2 phillipsscrews up front and one small nut in the middle, you access all of them from the bottom of the column
    3) After removing the bottom of the column cover (it only "clips" to the top of the cover), you will see 2 phillips screws that are perpendicular to the floor of the car. You can see them more clearly after flipping the top of the steering column cover upwards (the top of the steering wheel column is attached to the gauge cluster by the leather.
    4) Once the 2 screws are removed, the gauge cluster is free. I popped the left side toward me, then the right until it came free enough to easily unplug it from the dashboard.

Makuono likes this.
  10. Jonny English

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    thank you guys

11. F3RN4ND0

F3RN4ND0 Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    F3RN
    That is correct.
    No need to remove the steering wheel.
    I did it too. Not a difficult task.

12. Jonny English

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    trimmer finished the binnacle after being with him a day and a half. Haven't sen the bill yet but it went back in easier than it came out. He believes it was snagging on something on the way out.

13. Jonny English

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Really pleased with the job and for £370 including fixing a lump in one of the seats and the carpet coming away in the boot I think it was a good price.

599_GTO and Mamich like this.
  14. Jonny English

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Its going in for paintwork next week, then it will be looking amazing and ready for a European road trip in August hopefully

15. Mamich

Mamich Karting

Mar 29, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Zed
    Good luck Jonny with the paintwork and your road trip

16. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    That's great! Leather work isn't too bad so long as you don't get bogged down in taking apart the entire dash.