360 - Ferrari 360 - A Modern Build (Forged Carbon) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 Ferrari 360 - A Modern Build (Forged Carbon)

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ferrari360FW, May 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari360FW

Ferrari360FW Karting

Nov 12, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Issac Teh
    Jhills14 likes this.
  2. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
  3. Ferrari360FW

Ferrari360FW Karting

Nov 12, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Issac Teh
    So local "friends" poll brought about this overnight:

488 GT3 Mirrors: 22
    488 Mirrors: 20

Most who liked the normal 488 mirrors said it looks "normal", looked muscular, looks modern.

and those who chose the GT3 thinks the shape is right for the new bumper or feel suits the FC package, have the "hypercar feel".

(Definitely will not go with the Stradale ones nor the Challenge ones (already on the car), I avoid making this project too easy & looking like the next 360 aesthetically.)

4. Ferrari360FW

Ferrari360FW Karting

Nov 12, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Issac Teh
  5. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    My simple minded thoughts:
    - how bout omit side mirrors and go with cameras with dash display. That would be cool. Tesla pushing for this for while.
    https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-roadster-cybertruck-no-side-mirror-nhtsa/

- I like the front bumper aesthetically but thinking pragmatically, if it will be as costly at it looks should it be so low to the road? Risk frequent damage. Can install an air lift system. I cringe thinking of driving it on public roads otherwise.

- I think the bumper needs a vent or contour or something in front of the wheel. To much fairway in front of the wheel for my eye.

- what can you do with the headlights. I’ve always felt this is the biggest design flaw in the car, and really dates the looks. ?cf , and/or something with the lens to break up the clear bubble look while keeping the size and shape original. Plug and play.

The “forged cf” on the bumper is growing on me.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Ferrari360FW likes this.
  6. Ferrari360FW

Ferrari360FW Karting

Nov 12, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Issac Teh
    Yo, thanks for the suggestion! As much as side mirrors are a pain in the ass, I really like having a side mirror still, I am actually a classic car lover despite doing a modern build (ironic I know), so I gotta have some purity in the car, like how racing seats become less electronic and more simple/pragmatic in higher spec models etc...

- I did look into Novitec lifters! But roads here in Singapore aren't so bad, plus the bumper isn't as low as it looks, although the slightly longer overhang will definitely mean higher risks...

- I tried but it's one of those things that date the car, I looked into modern stuff (Pista) and they are a tad too aggressive, photoshopped over 30 bumpers, and still think that leaving it clean looks about right. Will keep trying in the 3D, CAD stage again...

- Hmm previously I mentioned about doing a bit of modern lighting system into the headlights... I'll have to wait to get my hands on one of those Porsche Dynamic Lights physically (see pictures) before I take both of those lights and design a completely new piece from scratch.
    This will have to wait though unless I get extra funding. My fundings are cleared for the new body only as of now. I do wanna do a proper plug & play piece if there's enough demand down the road, if not, it will still be one of those things I slowly try to perfect, for my own car at least.

- Forged carbon tends to do that to people! Being an avant-garde material still, you either love or reject it at first sight. I went through the stages myself. :D

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Ferrari360FW

Ferrari360FW Karting

Nov 12, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Issac Teh
  8. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Personally in my opinion, the porsche lights add nothing positive to the look. in fact will require customization of the aluminum fenders to accommodate them. If this is your plan don’t do it just buy a 911.

Are you are planing to just cannibalize the P lights and use the innards in the stock 360 housing assembly?

Personally I have always wanted to see CF instead of painted inside base, and a cover that perhaps has some pattern more c/w modern lenses. Not just the plastic bubble. A plug and play module so to not ruin the original set which I would like to save in case I want to go back.

Ferrari360FW likes this.
  9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I think the bottom edge of your bumper looks too heavy. Look at the intake and side skirt edges, they are thin almost knife edges. Maybe thin the bottom of the bumper down and add a splitter to draw the line across.

10. Ferrari360FW

Ferrari360FW Karting

Nov 12, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Issac Teh
    No and yes, I was just gonna use the inner parts of the Porsche lights! The shape will be kept stock!

Yes I've actually looked into the CF pattern (F430) but it might be only a portion of the inside. If you realise, modern lights have a mix of gloss, matte, metallic, black, chrome, grey in it. It's the mix of materials and finishing that makes it look modern.

Yes it will be pretty plug and play!

11. Ferrari360FW

Ferrari360FW Karting

Nov 12, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Issac Teh
    The side skirts are going to be relatively stock! (Challenge Stradale ones)

12. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    My thoughts FWIW one designer to another:
    I really don't like the side door mirrors. Kind of goofy looking just hanging out there with a thin stalk. They lose the consolidated look of the factory mirrors. For me mirrors are like wiper arms. They are there for a purpose and to draw attention to them is not a good idea in regards to something that needs to just "blend in" with the overall design and flow of the car. Maybe that's just me.

I agree. Also I think the front vent on the lower front bumper in front of the front wheel on the OEM bumper is just fine and it works well. I would concentrate on look of the front nose -- which you are.

The headlights: As I've said, the OEM lights on the 360 are the only design that kind of bothers me. Looks like the period corvette headlights. I'm not sure that the shape needs to change only the lighting inside and the base color. The color coordination of the headlight to the car is what is my biggest objection. If you could provide a replacement lens along with a modification of the lighting layout that could be "overlay-ed" or adapted cleanly to the OEM 360 headlight, that would probably solve the issue without reshaping the fender opening (which looks fine to me) and only involves removing the lens (which in most cases is something that most owners will be doing at some point anyway) and upgrading the then accessible current lighting situation would make it a clean and relatively simple-er solution.

Keep on sir. good work.

Ferrari360FW likes this.
  13. Ferrari360FW

Ferrari360FW Karting

Nov 12, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Issac Teh
    Oh dear I totally misread this!
    I was actually following the front bumper lines of the Stradale! Yes indeed they are thicker but it kinda works, I drafted one without the protrusion and liked it less. Will keep testing....

Yeah, had the same feeling, that was why in recent considerations I was testing the stock 488 side mirrors instead, they look muscular and relatively stock...
    Will keep testing!

Yes, I will not be changing the fender shape but rather what's inside the lens housing... The interior of a lighting housing is what makes it pretty. I foresee this to be harder than it looks, will be looking into this after the bumpers... I probably would require owners looking to mod, to remove the lens, (the clear housing can be tricky to manufacture) and then replace the inner housing.

Thank you! I'll keep this thread updated...

14. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Of course the lens is a sticking point as many 360 owners experience the clouding on the inside of the lens and want to remove it and clean it-- or better yet a new replacement would be superb!

Mel Spillman and Ferrari360FW like this.
  15. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Interesting project, subscribed. We are working on a promo car that is a Porsche 996 in forged carbon. Interior was gutted and refreshed with trim accents in forged and full black and grey leather. Exterior will have a forged hood, RUF front spoiler lip to a C4/turbo front bumper. A custom set of add on flares with as it was originally a narrow body car, no bolt on flares, all hardware will be hidden. And a few more fun items.

We like to show different material on some of our promo cars. Our Rand Rover SC is trimmed in 12K carbon ! Hard material to work with as it is 3x the thickness of standard prepreg similar to the forged. But works on a large vehicle like the RR.

We can always offer production help/

David

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ferrari360FW likes this.
  16. Ferrari360FW

Ferrari360FW Karting

Nov 12, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Issac Teh
    Briefly looked through headlight design and realised how complex it could be, the innards are in complex shapes and sometimes even translucent material... we will be figuring ways on building complex shape, this will help the manufacturing process, doing it to the first car is the hard part...

I brought up Photoshop for a quick draft...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

KC360 FL likes this.
  17. Ferrari360FW

Ferrari360FW Karting

Nov 12, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Issac Teh
    So after much research, I found out I could do an entirely new mold and design (same exact shape, easy to plug and play) but completely new innards and interior design...
    The problem is... each piece will likely cost over 10,000USD (with a minimum order quantity.)

Will likely go on to test & make a small quantity for myself, perhaps if the interest and progress goes well, I could open up to the group with a bigger MOQ and push the price down, but so far it's looking to be a little overpriced at of now...

Definitely interesting enough to be a one-off project for me.
    Will be getting some designer & 3D help & entering the design phase for this while the standard bumpers are getting measured for dimensions!

18. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    The only thing I would change is the amber lens in the headlight. I would go with a clear one with an amber LED bulb. But of course this is probably a moot point since in your following post you have outlined how much the process of redesign costs. Too bad though...

Ferrari360FW likes this.
  19. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I can certainly attest to the difficulties in modeling a complex shape and make it fit on a 20 year old car. I build a hardtop for the 360 Spider that took nearly six months to develop the shape and make it fit precisely on the car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Ferrari360FW

Ferrari360FW Karting

Nov 12, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Issac Teh
    Looking awesome! I can only imagine!

21. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Wow 20k for a pair. In know the cost will go down with volume but how much. For that price I’d remove the lens, and layer the inside base with $100 bills, then take the family to Europe!

What about making a CF base (without the lens), and covering with original lens?

KC360 FL likes this.
  22. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    ^^^ I agree. The lens is the sticking point. With a suitable replacement folks could remove their old lens (scratched, dinged, cloudy) and not worry about breaking it. And to be sure there are plenty of folks out there that would be happy to do just that-- replace the lens and keep the stock headlight arrangement. Something to think about.

But with that said, if there was a way to "upgrade" or "modernize" the lamp layout, that would be an added bonus. I would be happy to simply do mine the gray that was featured in one of Issac's photo-shopped posts. But removing the lens--- not thrilled with that idea with no suitable replacement available. Especially since the lenses on my car are near perfect.

Ferrari360FW likes this.
  23. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Ferrari360FW likes this.
  24. Ferrari360FW

Ferrari360FW Karting

Nov 12, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Issac Teh
    From what I'm exploring, the custom unit is definitely going to be something one-off for the time being. Sorry guys!

Okay, let me explore doing replacement lenses instead, I too had so much trouble detailing/polishing those right or finding brand new ones... Those on eBay commanding ridiculous prices too.

25. Ferrari360FW

Ferrari360FW Karting

Nov 12, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Issac Teh
    #50 Ferrari360FW, Jun 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Updates:
    I spent last week exploring & finishing up the custom "Monza SP" styled forged rims for the 360...
    (While spinning forward, the blades draw air out from under the car, which should create more downforce and cool the brakes...)

It's going to be 19 x 8.5 / 20 x 10.5, F/R.
    I'll also solve the poor wheel fitment issues along with right offset. (Will be doing some fender rolling this week...)
    The weight estimate is at 10.4KG & 12KG each, front & rear respectively...

Attached are the first render, will be putting a bit more angle into the blades, to match the curvier 360 as compared to the Monza.

Think they look pretty OEM / stock Ferrari (it is a Ferrari design after all), retaining the 5 spoke star rims while looking futuristic & having extra brake cooling...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Skidkid and brogenville like this.