488 - Pistas selling for less than MSRP... | Page 56 | FerrariChat

488 Pistas selling for less than MSRP...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 09Scuderia, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Ferrari's market cap is now 150% of Fords. I think they can afford to get the SF90 out properly. 1000 HP Hyrbids are hard though, is the moral of that story.

jim g likes this.
  2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I'm sure there will be contingency plans if operations are ceased temporarily in the event of new management or ownership. Delivery (for me if I proceed) is being quoted first quarter 2021 which is much earlier than I expected tbh. First deliveries later quarter this year. So its definitely going ahead. I would agree it is an uncertain market and those with money would have to be thinking twice whether to spend or hold. But again with the number being built they may not have reason or need to discount heavily as wound up the case with 600. But ultimately these car are wants, not needs, so anything could happen.

3. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Quoted Q4 - 2020 or latest Q1 2021. Time to see how things pan out. But my excitement has been tamp down somewhat.

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    My point is just that to me a car that is not driven has little value. I'm well aware that special cars with low mileage fetch a high price on auction etc. but for me making money is done elsewhere, and cars are best enjoyed on the road and track.

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    GM and McLaren are two completely different stories. The US cannot live without GM in the same way the rest of the world will be just fine without McLaren. Everything from McLaren falls in the nice to have category while most things from GM falls in the need to have, as their biggest market is work trucks etc.

When you as a politician tell your votors that you hep out a company that helps growth, provide jobs both directly and indirectly, not to mention is an integral part of the infrastructure, you're a hero. When you tell people that you spend tax payers money on a small company that makes environmentally unfriendly toys for the wealthy minority, that's not a good thing to do if you want to keep your job.

6. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Agreed
    Yes and no. I bet a good chunk of that remaining workforce is for the F1 team

Somehow Aston Martin is still alive though. More lives than a cat. So you never know

7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Let them compete and win or fail, esp when their core biz is consistenly poor quality. Bite the bullet in 2008 and this is not a problem today. We would all be just fine in the end.

8. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    IF bankruptcy, then 'restructure' (new management or ownership), then carry on. :) Production run could be slowed down/stretched out, new model intro's delayed.

9. crazedboutcars

crazedboutcars Karting

Dec 14, 2018
    Dubai, U.A.E.
    Full Name:
    Madhav Kanchan
    McLaren isn’t the only one... Aston Martin also in same boat as well

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Aston is not a super car competitor.

11. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Too much good tech across road, F1 and materials science for it to fold and disappear. I have no doubt a bigger group (VAG, Merc, BMW etc) could pick them up as they are really unique and are Ferrari's "true" competitor. Lotus, Aston etc have been close to extinction so many times and yet they are still here. McLaren did the financially prudent thing and acted very fast to streamline their business - wise move which will pay dividends as they recover.

Having been in a similar situation (a few years back) in a business that had a major revenue drop we did the same thing and while it took two years to fully recover we came out of it a better company.

Shadowfax, Thecadster and Ash Patel like this.
  12. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    Maybe another way to look at this...
    I have been a Ferrari enthusiast for many many years and I have always been open to treating them as daily drivers or as low mileage works of art/very special cars. Fortunately for me I have mostly owned very special models or specs (in my opinion) therefore I have not put a ton of miles on any of my Ferraris but I don’t think badly of those that do. Now, with that said, I always buy Ferraris that I consider works of art and one way I really enjoy them is to simply open my garage door and turn on the lights. Another way I enjoy them is to show them in both high end and “street” car shows. Both of these methods of enjoyment are fortunately low mileage opportunities. In any case there are trade offs to however you enjoy them but the key is simply to enjoy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dustman likes this.
  13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    True but covid 19 has done the same to all countries and manufacturers. Having new models and intros delayed is a blessing given most are heavy ugly overpriced hybrids with no sound. Also the frequency of new models being released was destroying resale values on everything. So less new models is a good thing imo.

Gh21631, GoHardGT3RS, Shack and 4 others like this.
  14. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I’ve posted over many years that McLaren’s task is very difficult - look at how many failures the exotic motor industry has chalked up. Those are for good reason and anyone who thinks McLaren are cleverer so normal economics won’t apply to them is mistaken IMV. Everyone hopes that their heritage and knowledge is enough but it may well not be.

Lotus can only work with a major manufacturer behind it. Aston can only work with a major manufacturer behind it (it had one fairly recently and had a decent period with Ford but has struggled since). My prediction has been for a long time that Merc will end up owning Aston - makes total sense to me; a cheap way for them to get a prestigious brand name and amortise their AMG drivetrains over a wider group of high-value buyers.

The mathematics are brutal in this game. Ferrari have often been in the same boat. Di Montezemolo’s period really changed the game for them. They have become far stronger than the major manufacturer that ‘sheltered’ them while in that phase. They have done many things very well and can stand on their own feet financially now. But... do some silly things and they will be drawn back into the same cycle. There are no easy answers and absolutely none have a divine right to success.

My guess from here is that McLaren need the support of a major manufacturer so the maths can be sorted out - an investor is not enough because they only buy time, they don’t change the mathematical equation in your favour. Any smart investor will be considering that IMV. And it has to be the right manufacturer. Would have thought BMW might be a good partner (I have absolutely no inside knowledge - just a stab in the dark) because they are comfortable with high tech, they have a strong brand but not beyond £100k or so and they could easily benefit from a race-bred partner who can push the technology envelope and gain some drop-down benefit for their ultimate diving machines. Could work perhaps? If Kia turns up, without any disrespect to a great company like that, I would be less confident in the direction they take, possibly. Without anyone? I struggle to see it.

15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Right on point. The Mclaren business model may have been more appropriate for a main stream manufacturer but does not work for a new luxury sport car brand. The introduction of too many models in too short a time frame negatively impacted on reliability and was responsible for excessive depreciation. The Ferrari business model until recently, was responsible for the company's consistent and gradual growth. All sales were predicated upon customer orders which maintained the exclusivity and prestige of the brand, while simultaneously mimimizing depreciation of the models upon resale. With Ferrari's new goal of expanding production by 25% with the concommitant availability of regular production models being offered to new buyers, the jury is out on the eventual success of this strategy.

Ash Patel, GoHardGT3RS, PTG1 and 6 others like this.
  16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Mclaren needs to be purchased by BMW or Audi/VW. Lamborghini, Porsche and Mclaren under one umbrella organization. Ferrari against the world.

Ash Patel likes this.
  17. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    What about Tata group buying mclaren. They already own other British Marques such as Roger and Jaguar.

Gh21631 likes this.
  18. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    TATA is losing a ton of money on Land Rover but especially Jaguar. Stock price has gone from a high of $30 a few years ago to current $5 .81

PTG1 likes this.
  20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Normally I would say Tata or China.
    BMW might make sense. Their ultimate driving machine mantra has been BS for a decade and this could restore it.

21. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’d love for this to happen. It would also allow Mclaren to expand their dealer network and improve reliability. I’d have a 720S if I could just take it to the local BMW dealer for any minor electrical issue.

DFT3 and Bundy like this.
  22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Agree. But not sure I trust BMW quality though.

23. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’m OK with Mclarens mechanical quality, it’s the stupid electronic issues. And the thought of being without a car for a month while it’s sent to the nearest dealer Over a silly electrical fault is a deal breaker. But similar to Audi dealers being able to fix smaller faults on lambos, this would be great for Mclaren if BMW could do the same.

24. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Drove a 600LT and I must say it felt as good if not better than the Pista - As for rigidity - 600LT wins hands down. Flame suit on :)

Ash Patel and dustman like this.
  25. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I recently drove my Buddy’s 720S and felt that it was as capable as my Pista. Helluva great car at a great price used.

Thecadster and Shack like this.