Do Fabspeed Mini Cats work? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Do Fabspeed Mini Cats work?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Eric C, Oct 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I put Fabspeed headers, sport cats and mini cats on my F430. Being that they sold it to me as a system and said it would work together, I figured it would all work together. However, I got a CEL, even with the mini-cats, and so I had to take the sport cats off. It was disappointing because I had never planned on spending the extra $3k or whatever it was on the sport cats but when they said it was designed to work as a system and most people use it like that, I decided to do it.

The sport cats are now sitting in my basement. I'm trying to figure out something because to waste that much money on something that I can't use is highly, highly disappointing.

2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I am hoping a tune resolves the CEL, a lot less money than the sport cars + should be able to optimize the upgrades. I'll post up when I'm done with the results.

3. ke0kie

ke0kie Rookie

Jul 26, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott Jones
    #28 ke0kie, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
    So for my 2000 360 yes they work (that is, no CEL with my fabspeed headers + 2 cats of unknown type + Tubi muffler/tips)...until the mini cats work themselves loose (from what seems normal engine operation/vibration).

I think the reason they are working themselves loose is because they stick out quite a ways, are fairly heavy, and are not supported by any sort of bracket. If feel if there were a bracket that held them to the exhaust pipe, they would move with to the engine/exhaust as a unit, the mini-cats would not be as likely to work themselves loose.

I emailed fabspeed to see what type of attachment they recommend (and any related crush washers, and their sizes) both for the 90-degree adapter and the mini-cat itself / 02 sensor combo. Unless I missed it, Fabspeed did NOT provide any instructions on their site for these, or specs for crush washers needed, etc.

Does anyone have instructions from Fabspeed that spec crush washers, and the installation itself for mini cats?

Cheers,

Scott

4. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    If they are loose they will actually work
    Your 02 sensors are further from the flowstream
    You can actually disconnect them and you will not have a CEL
    Mine got loose too due to vibration, basically I just tighten them up every now and then. Mine were sticking upwards so no risk of actually falling out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    When Fabspeed first designed their mini cats, they were designed with such an angle that you could not install or remove them without removing the cats off the Ferrari, I know bcos I unfortunately had a set, I think they have learned that lesson

6. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    I have the Fabspeed mini-cats, Fabspeed headers and blankets, and have not had any sensor issues since the header install in September last year.

Fabspeed Motorsport likes this.
  7. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Dean, we're glad to hear you're enjoying them! Let us know if you have any questions.

Sincerely, John S.

Dean Palmer likes this.
  8. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    When you reply success of failure on mini cat install please include model and year.

I’ve heard the cat eff ranges were changed over the model years.

meaning an early car might handle no cats better than a newer model.

9. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    Mine is a 2007 F430 Spider with mini cats.

10. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Mine::

01 modena
    Aftermarket headers (headers sans cats)
    Stock cat pipes
    Cs muffler

I got a cat eff cel w this setup after 3 Starts and 100 miles.

I added mini cats O2 extenders then no cel ever since this change.

11. ke0kie

ke0kie Rookie

Jul 26, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott Jones
    Hi John, did you happen to get my email (sent to [email protected] on May 24), or the output from the Fabspeed online contact form I filled out on the same day about this topic?

Cheers,

Scott

12. ke0kie

ke0kie Rookie

Jul 26, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott Jones
    Thanks for sharing your experience, and confirming yours too come loose. And that you need to tighten them up periodically, that really affirms the mounting design issue with the parts. Parts are not typically designed to work themselves loose from normal operation, but alas that's a problem that will need re-design and some fabrication to correct, which I'm planning to do personally on my 360.

Cheers,

Scott

13. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    PM sent