Bye-bye Renault? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Bye-bye Renault?

Discussion in 'F1' started by lorenzobandini, May 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    My thoughts were more along the production car line rather than the racing side, but I would agree with you on the racing side of the business.

Bas likes this.
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    In the long run, any industry has to face market forces, and survive on its own merit, no matter how much government help it may receive
    I understand the French government picks and choses which industry it wants to save by intervening, and sacrifying others (Florange, Alsthom, Ford-Blanqueford, Goodyear-Amiens, etc).
    I don't know if that will bear fruit in the end, or become a costly failure like our British Leyland.
    A sharp pain when lancing the absess is better than letting septicemy take over the body, but no government wants to execute it.

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Probably depends also on what can be "acceptable" to the unions...but I do agree, sometimes it would be better to cut an arm than loose the whole body; trouble is, no union can accept that reasoning, they always believe that, against all evidence, it can be saved, because "the market is not always right".
    There is also some hypocrisy from the politics, in letting the market kill the thing slowly rather than having to do it themselves and endorse the decision...
    I have witnessed the demise of the whole siderurgy and steel industry during the last 40 years...not a pretty sight...

(Well then: back to F1...)

Nembo1777 and william like this.
  4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The one situation where the "market is always not always right" is farming.
    You do not want the farms in bankruptcy while the people are starving.

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Farming is exactly where market forces should be put at play!

Supermarkets and big distributors force farmers to produce cheap food, because "that benefits the public".

Then using taxpayers' money, governments have to subsidise farmers so they don't go bust.

Whilst the people don't pay the right prices at the shop, they see their tax bill go higher.

Where goes the profit? To supermarkets and big distributors who themselves produce nothing !!

JL350 likes this.
  6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Unions are the death of business. Eventually they'll bleed the business dry. and if the business is large enough, the tax payer with it.

william likes this.
  8. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Not bad. 4B Euros for Renault. So they take the money, then advise the govt they’ve determined they’ll take a massive loss or be forced to close shop unless they’re allowed an extension to assemble cars from outside. Then they’ll request an additional 1B Euros to cover the closing costs of their numerous facilities outside the country to comply with the agreement AND stay solvent.

Then sell the whole kit to PSA for pennies quickly thereafter and let them deal with the Govt and union ;).

Yup. Barring Team Mazepin.;)

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE

...which reminds me of the sale to Genii, not exactly a very good move, was it? They had to buy it back...

Rgds

Bas likes this.
  10. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I remember. One substantial bag of debt.
    But at least they managed to have a climactic Kimi win and more press than they could have ever imagined. “Leave me alone.....”

Bas and 375+ like this.
  11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    How so for RIC? Has he left l’equip?

12. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Jack--Danny Ricc signed with Mclaren.

13. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks. Don’t know how I missed that. :rolleyes:

375+ likes this.
  14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Unlikely, Mazepin Jnr nowhere near the amount of points he needs to get Superlicense.
    True that. Shambolic they never paid him though. But at least that paved the way for Kimi to Ferrari, and securing that climatic Kimi win, and more press than they could've ever imaged. ''Kimi you've just won the USA GP!" "Yeah thanks....f'in finally''.

:p

Isobel likes this.
  15. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    As it appears that there are a number of teams that won't survive the virus, perhaps the FIA/F1 should permit teams to field up to 3 cars per race.

375+ likes this.
  16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I've been of that opinion for awhile but what teams will be in a position to do so? Ferrari, Mercedes(if they stay) and who else?

Simon^2 likes this.
  17. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    That ship has sailed, at least for the current financial climate. A third car will add significant costs but bring in essentially no money (unless the team uses a pay driver). And no reasonable way to do it under the new budget cap.

375+ likes this.
  18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Force majeure. They will do whatever it takes to fill up the grid.

19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
  20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  21. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Let the protests begin! Now where did we put that guillotine?

22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well? It is still at the same place where it has been put at rest after the last time it was used: it the caves of the "Ministère de la Justice"; a bit rusted nowadays...

Rgds

Nembo1777 likes this.
  23. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Good thing I didn't bet money on the team going away.

24. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    I have to wonder if they are keeping it going in order to sell it as opposed to just shutting it down / fire sale...

I won’t be surprised to hear of an ownership change in a few months.

25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Not true, by the way...since 1981, the parisian guillotines have been transfered to the "Musée National des Arts et Traditions Populaires", in Marseille.

Rgds