Ground clearance and driveway | FerrariChat

Ground clearance and driveway

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by FerrariBeev, May 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariBeev

FerrariBeev Rookie

May 21, 2020
    My 2017 Cali T HS is getting delivered this weekend. I am a little worried about if it will scrape in the front coming up the driveway. Any experience or advice? My wife has a BMW 4 series with 5.1” of clearance and NO issues. The Cali T says it has 4.3”. I think I am ok. Thoughts?

2. DavidRS4

DavidRS4 Karting

Oct 12, 2019
    Go slow, have the wife watch to see if you are getting close to bottoming out, try not to run over the wife. If you are getting close you can try going at an angle which may help. You told us your BMW's clearance and how much the CaliT has but not the angle of your driveway so no way for us to know.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yes, knowing steepness of driveway would be useful. For what it's worth, I've never had ground clearance issues with my Cali; compared to most Ferrari, it's a high riding truck. My 911 has more issues with scraping. Full disclosure, north Texas is not the hilliest place on earth...T

montegoblue likes this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Unless your driveway is something out of the ordinary, you should be fine.

But let me ask you this. What is your plan if it turns out to be too steep? We can guess and speculate till we are blue in the face, but what's your plan? The car shows up in two days, and it is bought and paid for. Didn't you take it for a test drive and swung by your home to see if it would fit? At any rate, the important thing now is to have a plan in the even it won't clear. That being said, Ferrari is great at making usable cars, so quite sure it will work.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Andrew Pour

Andrew Pour Karting

Oct 7, 2019
    If you include a pic of the driveway it would be easier to let you know. I will say, if you drive up at an angle rather than straight up when you are first pulling up into the driveway, it helps a lot with clearance. I think you may be fine.

The front of my driveway does have a very small dip. I tend to pull into my garage in reverse, and have never had a problem with scraping. If I ever pull into anywhere though I tend to try and pull in at an angle, just cause.....you never know.

FerrariBeev likes this.
  6. Joey4420

Joey4420 Rookie

Apr 6, 2018
    Hamilton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Joey Shreve
    If the issue is a curb at the base of the driveway, have you looked into the Bridjit curb ramps? I bought them for my driveway and wish I had years ago.

rgb125 and FerrariBeev like this.
  7. JMC126

JMC126 Rookie

Nov 18, 2013
    Santa Cruz
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I had a 2006 F430 - needed ramps to get up the bottom of the driveway which was a little steep to clear. Then I got a 2015 California T - No issues at all either straight on and to be safer drive up at an angle.

FerrariBeev likes this.
  8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    tomc, FerrariBeev and jag-oo-r like this.
  9. FerrariBeev

FerrariBeev Rookie

May 21, 2020
    This is my plan if I have an issue. I will use plywood for a couple of days if I have to.

whatheheck likes this.
  10. FerrariBeev

FerrariBeev Rookie

May 21, 2020
    Actually, I test drove it in Modena, and bought this one without driving. I will use plywood for a day or two and get curb ramps if needed. I will post pics this weekend. Wish me luck.

whatheheck and tomc like this.
  11. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I have the scrapearmor.com chin protector on my Portofino. It cost $600,bolts on easily,and works.

12. FerrariBeev

FerrariBeev Rookie

May 21, 2020

Update: It was fine. No issues at all. I did take it at a slight angle. Thanks for all advice!

Andrew Pour and whatheheck like this.
  13. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Glad everything went well! Our driveway is somewhat steep, too, and we approach at an angle. No problems. Enjoy your new T, and drive it often! Oh, post pics too!

14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I love a happy ending!
    Now post pictures. Of your Cali, not your driveway!
    T

AD211 likes this.
  15. FerrariBeev

FerrariBeev Rookie

May 21, 2020
    Justicepool and whatheheck like this.
  16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    See! It works. Any scraping issues?
    Looks fabulous. Must feel great to see it parked there with the top down.
    Trust me, your neighbor across the way is jealous as heck! :)
    Enjoy it...T

whatheheck likes this.
  17. rgb125

rgb125 Rookie

Sep 15, 2019
    Was going to be my recommendation. My driveway is not extraordinary in the least (no angle, normal curb, etc.), but my Cali drags the front. Bridgit was the inexpensive, obvious solution

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app