F355 | FerrariChat

F355

Discussion in '348/355' started by Doc_Dent, May 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    Hey guys.
    Thinking about getting a 355 spyder -Manual Trans- , it has arround 26K miles, recently serviced, full repaint outside and fully restored interiorly.

Any ideas about where the fair price should be?

Any thing in particular I should know about this sweety? (Never bought a V8 ferrari B4)

Thanks,,,

2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Depending on who did the repaint and also why, that could affect the value quite a bit (in a negative way).

Doc_Dent likes this.
  3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    U should go to the 348/355 section and ask there. Look at some stickies about buying, etc. Do some research B4 U bye it.

4. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    THX Eddie.

5. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    "FERRARICHAT support" Kindly move my thread to 355 forum, as I wasn't aware I am not in the right forum.
    THX

6. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Do a Search for the last 6 digits of the VIN to see if we have any history on it.

7. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    Already asked support to move my thread b4 seeing UR reply.
    Done my research already, and asking here to have advice from owners or PPL familiar with 355s.
    Thanks anyway,,,

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Ask them if Bradan did the repaint/refurb. They are generally quite meticulous and really know the 355. Why a 26k mile car would need a repaint is a different matter.

Do you have any photos?. Usually the experts can pick up discrepancies simply from these.

9. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

52-55k tops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  10. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
  11. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    So many things that can cost money, especially if you are paying someone else.The hydraulic top, seat pots, cats, headers, shock adjusters, and valve guides are just a few things that come to mind. My advice is to get someone with knowledge to do a PPI and read as much as you can. Low mileage can be good or bad depending on the service history. I would rather buy a well sorted higher mileage car than a low mileage garage queen if I was buying to drive.

Post up some details and you will get all the opinions you could ever want!

12. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    Get a PPI. If good relax. I bought my 97 355 Spider in 2016 and have only changed oil. Drive it though and keep charged with battery tender. Looks classic, drives like new-ish Ferrari, but sounds like an F1 of bygone era at over 7k rpm. Pure joy.

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    A PPI can only pick up so much. As I've said a few times on the forum before, I found an extra 30 problems (big and small) after I bought my car after an expensive PPI.
    A PPI inspector is not going to remove luggage compartment liners (carpet) and underbody panels or disassemble components to look for problems. I found a slow leak in my brake/clutch fluid reservoir (hidden by carpet) which took my car off the road for 3 months because no new reservoirs were available at the time. A PPI inspection is not always going to pick up problems previous owner/s have done their best to hide (like removing broken gearbox teeth from the magnetic plug or rewiring the engine harness and Check Engine Light wiring). A PPI won't help you if the inspector checks clutch wear "by feel". A PPI may pick up small repaired tears in a convertible roof, but they won't tell you how big the tears will become a year later. So far I've spent over a third of the price of the car in maintenance costs (and that's doing a lot of the maintenance myself).

If you have a PPI done, take an owner or two with you who has had lots of problems with his car. Go through the available PPI checklists and make sure you understand what each item means. If you spend some time on the forum, you may be able to add your own items. Understand the differences between 2.7 and 5.2 cars. Understand that parts will become rarer and rarer for a car of this age.

Like most Ferrari 355 purchases, they are usually done with your heart, but just make sure your wallet is as big as your heart :D