C8 CORVETTE | Page 18 | FerrariChat

C8 CORVETTE

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by BJK, Jan 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Sounds like the dealer took you for a ride.
    Were the pads shot after 1 day, Ill assume the street or R compound tires were. Doesent sound like anything else needed doing, so then its quite possible the Maclaren no more expesive to run than a vette if you do the basics yourself. In other words the vette will use tires and pads at the same pace maybe faster due tot he 5-600 extra lbs, , pads for the vette cost way less?

2. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    The pads were very thin, thin enough for me to really worry about the rotors for my last stint (that $ is the stuff of nightmares)- I tend to brake late and hard, even by racer standards. Tires were Pirelli Corsas, they suck, so I was happy to trash them. Pre and post is a requirement for warranty. Not much to avoid, hence me moving on, just can’t justify that expense for a day/weekend.

Most fun on track is my SRA Ariel Atom (brake pads and rotors last a season...). Brutal and unforgiving, but driven right, fast as hell and rewarding. Makes me look longingly at 211, 311, BAC Mono, Ultima RS.... the list goes on. Nothing is better than light weight- my dream Z06 has more revs, 50-75 extra HP, but drops 400-500# (no way to lose that much weight- even with carbon fiber wheels, no insulation, no leather, fixed roof panel, exotic exhaust, carbon seats. Best case scenario is probably 200#, which is still a reach)

Yet, here I am about to take a relative porker and see what’s up. As you alluded to, the running costs will be a pittance to any exotic (Chevy service guy was a bit apologetic in tone about the expense of the 5+ hours of work, oil change, etc.- if he only knew) The weight is going to take its toll for sure. I can live with changing pads and tires if the drive/fun factor is there, bit of a PITA, but manageable. Hoping the degradation won’t be quite that bad, but I suspect I’ll be calling it quits before Sunday runtime is over. I have no spares for the weekend, so a gingerly ride home.

of2worlds likes this.
  3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I have no desire to "track cars" but if I did, this would be my choice. I don't see the point of putting $350,000 car out there.

If you're going to track a car, get one that is designed and engineered to be one.

sainthoo likes this.
  4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    agreed on the ligtweight, not just consumable but the way a light car rotates and reacts is so much more fun.

On my Elise pads last 14 full day’s or more and tires are heat cycle issue, which means 2-3 days. I calculate around $700 per day in consumables tires pads fuel fluids and genealogy maintanace.

the exige v6 came with pirelli corsas,which I used up will bedding in the car, they were greasy till warm and then later 2 laps becoming greasy from Heat. They’re car magazine bluff tires allowing randy Probst or whoever to set a fast lightening lap, on “street” tires but are otherwise pretty much useless.

the exige v6 Is based on the Elise platform but has double the hp of the Elise and. 70% more tq as well as being nearly 400lbs heavier.(2350lbs).You arrive at most corners 20 mph faster and can brake later”than in the Elise. Pads last 4 days so that’s 1/3 or less the life of on an Elise and they’re way meatier pads to start. Tires I can still get close on 3 days till they cord, but it’s always the rears now because all that power eats them up. So similar platforms whee adding 400lbs and a whole lot of hp shortens pad life by 70% . It also needs race gas.
    So about $800-900 per day plus race gas which is going to be another 400-500.

a day for me is about 3-4hrs of run time.

the mythical z06 sounds really appealing. Like you I think I loosing the weight is going to be really hard. The Vette team has the talent but the inbuilt weight and size of the platform is always going to be a hurdle. A quad cam motor is likely to be heavier than a sbc too.

please share with us your thoughts and impression of the Vette on track. It’s great to hear from someone who really has experience and has setup the car for track.

5. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
  6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think there is a difference between steering acuracy/precsion and feel. Late in the hydraulic era they got it pretty good, ie the 997 Gt3s were awesome. On the e46 M3 which scribes said was great, I guess it was Ok if you had never driven real steering.
    EPS which pretty much every modern car has there really is zero feel and any feedback is faked. What eps can do, which we see in newer ferraris and which the Guila (which I am very familiar with) is make super direct and acurate steering. ie there's no real feedback, but if you abandon feedback as a concept you can go for a really acurate and sharp suystem which has its own rewards. ie you get the sharpness of a single seater.

Of the modern eps system i have driven KIAs are great, and the Alfa takes front end response to a new level.

Auraraptor likes this.
  8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  9. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    ZINGARA 250GTL likes this.
  10. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Auraraptor and jm2 like this.
  11. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    so you don't like it? :rolleyes: It's just a mash-up rendering. I think the guy did a good job. :D No harm.

12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Photoshop is proof of the old adage that just because you can do something...........doesn't necessarily mean you should...

13. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    In the thread they are separating feel and accuracy and comparing it to Porsches. But it's always subjective.

I let the President of the Porsche GT-3 club of Germany drive my 2002 C5 Z06 around the 'Ring after he gave me a ride in his full caged GT-3 road car, we got on two wheels! He loved two things about my Z06 so much that he let me join the club! What did he love? The torque, of course, and the steering feel. LOL

14. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I have said it a thousand times, the C5Z is one of my all time favorites and will have another one. I sold the Centennial ZR1 and don't miss it at all.

Todd308TR likes this.
  15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Many agree with you.

Auraraptor likes this.
  16. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #442 anunakki, May 29, 2020
    Last edited: May 29, 2020
    I wish I could get past the interior. I had one and I liked the car but I just couldnt live with that interior.

TheMayor likes this.
  17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Completely agree.

anunakki likes this.
  18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  19. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I get so tired of hearing this BS. People constantly modify for performance and then ***** about the interior. This place can make the interior nicer than an exotic and tailored to your style. https://www.caravaggiocorvettes.com/c5-interior-1

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Todd308TR and Auraraptor like this.
  21. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    LMAO. Are you 12 years old?

Eric R likes this.
  22. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    No I am eight.

23. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks like the mechanic thought that black boomerang thing on the side was a jack point.