Front grille fitment | FerrariChat

Front grille fitment

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by mexicruiser, May 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’m making a pause in the major+ service to paint my boxer trim; while reassembling the front fascia I find the grille to be too big for the opening, to the point of deforming the fiberglass, so before I start cutting and bending I thought I’d ask here if this is normal or if I’m doing something wrong, your feedback is very appreciated.
    You can see the part deforming around the position lights as this is a weak spot and there were stress cracks close to the position lights, I repaired these cracks but I think are related to this and might break again.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I measured the grille, it is approximately 2cm taller than the opening

3. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I have been looking at pictures of other bbi’s and some do appear to have the position lights slightly at an angle, still doesn’t feel right to have the fiberglass stressed that much. I’m thinking of maybe grinding down the outer uprights on the grille? Anybody been here before?

4. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    My grille also had a very tight fit into the valance opening. But not so tight that it stressed the opening holes for the position lights. Have you reinforced the fiberglass flanges where you bolt the grille onto? This could make the flanges less flexible and transfer the stress to area around the holes for position light.

Best Peter

mexicruiser likes this.
  5. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Although I repaired some damage I didn't reinforce that area.

6. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I installed the fascia (bumper) on the car without the grille to test and it seems that the opening stretches when installed, so the grille is oversize to compensate this. I guess it wasn’t noticeable on cars without position lights because there was no weak spot and it could take the stress better.

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Injected boxer opening is 10mm shorter in height than the carb'd version because they thickened up the area to accept the park lights. You could have a market specific 81 down short grill that exposed the fog lights. Are there reliefs on the back side of the horizontal bars to clear a rad fan motor? Post pics if you can.

Actually I can see you do have a relief for a rad fan motor so that is a carb boxer short grill thats why its being forced to fit. I can see the opening of the bumper narrows on each side after the grill ends.

pshoejberg likes this.
  8. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The grille does have two small reliefs in the upper horizontal, and one on the bottom horizontal, but these appear to match the horn base and trumpet positions.

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Post a pic of the back side. Because the vertical bars have to be bent to fit its not the right grill or there's something wrong with the grill opening in the bumper.

10. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thank you Newman, I found the bumper and grille were hit on the right side, that is why the rightmost vertical bar is bent, and an area around the position light and the coolant drain hole was repaired. Still this is not the reason for the difficult fitment which I’m beginning to think is “normal”.
    I decided to disassemble the grille and straighten it, I’m in that process now and I had to use heat on some areas, I’ll reassemble and paint it silver afterwards as the surface is too battered and anodizing will not cover the scratches as primer filler / paint will.
    Removing a little bit of the upper end of the outermost vertical bars would be easy, and the shape of the opening is smaller at the ends but I’m afraid this will bend the grille ends up. However I did decide against trimming all the vertical bars because I do not think the pieces could be bent afterwards to make the bolting flanges, aluminum is easy to break.

11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Aluminum is easy to break! Depends on the alloy of the aluminum.

12. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yes correct, the original tabs are bent when manufactured so I guess it can be done,

13. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Just found your thread on the amazingly detailed restoration on the 84 boxer, there is a picture of the fascia that shows the same issue:

Image Unavailable, Please Login