Decisions on my first ferrari - 488 / f8 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Decisions on my first ferrari - 488 / f8

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by skffc, Apr 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BLKBLK

BLKBLK Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2011
    I concur. I have a 488 and it's an amazing car. While F8's are growing on me, I'm not sure if I can justify $100k delta. I will first have to test drive one.

gmo28 likes this.
  2. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I don't get these 458 guys trashing the 488's? Makes zero sense to me....if he has a 458, I'm happy for the guy! For some reason they can't seem to be happy for the 488 kids! Go figure!!

Dicecal, gmo28 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    458!

4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I love 488s!

gmo28, LVP488 and Mighty Joe like this.
  5. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    My take on this is , its all about the money. The 488 GTB is excellent and it will cost lower than a F8.

However if this is your first Ferrari as my own 488 GTB was I couldn't pass the aspect of ordering the car the way I WANTED. The anticipation, the wait the everything.

So question is this worth the extra $$$ ?

Shadowfax and TR007 like this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Of course. You can't mention a 488 here without the usual suspects chiming in, telling us how someone should rather get a 458...

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Dicecal, gmo28 and Ash Patel like this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Well you know, it's sometimes difficult to accept that your pride and joy is not top dog anymore. Something faster, newer and better has come along, and you're no longer the koolest kid in skool:D

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Shadowfax, mdrums, gmo28 and 2 others like this.
  8. bml71

bml71 Karting

Mar 2, 2019
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bradd Lewis
    I just bought a 488 Spider and am going to enjoy driving it now and later when there is an F8 there to consider I will but likely will have had the benefit of 12 months or more enjoying my car which had 314 miles on it when I got it. My suggestion here is buy the car YOU want. I don't get why anyone spends 300k based on what someone else likes or thinks. O decide if it is to be a 458, 488 or F8 would seem to be the definition of 1st world problems. And I equally don't get the whole 458 v 488 thing at all. Whatever you decide drive it in good health

mdrums, sampelligrino and Texas2step like this.
  9. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    +1 and I'm coming from 2 458s and still think the 488 looks so much better and updated whereas the 458 looks very much dated (subjective off course) and the sound is also subjective so no one can actually tell the others as a guru that one sounds better than the other, some prefers NA sound and some Turbo sound.

However in all other measurable aspects as a drivers car the 488 wins over the 458 hands down, it's not even close for me.

Shadowfax, Coincid, Dicecal and 3 others like this.
  10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I can see the whole F8 series living a little longer and go into 2023. IMO I don't see the F8 replacement LB being available until 2023.

11. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    So what did you end up doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Back on topic....that fact that there is only one Ferrari for sale in town tells me there is no Ferrari dealer there, or maybe a third party rep. Check to see if you can get the rep to buy a used F8 six months from now. By then there should be several which can be imported from Europe. F cars are hard to sell in a one horse town. Get one for the long term.

13. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Spot on! The 488 is an incredible car in it's own right as well, but this way the OP experiences the raw and N/A nature of the 458, then slides into the more subdued and tamed, F8...

14. gernothofer@gmx.at

Jul 24, 2017
    go for an 488 GTB - I adore it since 2018...wont trade it for F8 - similar car but cheaper and - in my opinion - prettier

gmo28 likes this.
  15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    @jdlegg post was life is short, so get the 488 now. Then put a deposit on the F8/F8 successor *if* @skffc wants more power. (the successor being around the corner) and the 488 (hopefully meeting the majority of what @skffc wants)

I read no contradiction as the F8/F8 successor is not available, hence the 488 now would be carpe diem.

jdlegg likes this.
  16. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    I could not agree more. I am blessed to own many amazing cars including Ferrari’s. I have been a car lover my whole life and do most of my own work on my cars too as well as race cars.

Bottom line....I would NEVER trade a 458 for the 488....but maybe would for an F8.

If I were in the original posters position I’d wait for the F8. Here in the states 488 prices are almost in parity with 458s on price with similar mileage and spec and I’d bet 488 will sell for less than similar 458 spec/mileage cars within the next two years. People who are truly passionate about cars want the 458 not the 488.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

SpencerMarks and Sargepug like this.
  17. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

So - if you like a 488 you are not truly passionate about cars?

Could you also say "People who truly like slower Ferrari's want the 458"

The Op didn't ask about the 458, why does every thread get hijacked?

Some of us still love the 458 and will keep it forever. Some of us loved the 458 but have moved on to 488's or F8's to gain performance and stay with Ferrari.

All three are great in their own ways. I don't know why we can't celebrate each without the same old....

MANDALAY, Boomhauer and LVP488 like this.
  18. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    flame suit on.

I'd buy a 720s or 600LT, until a year later when F8 arrives.

Or better yet, ask for F8 demo and test drive all the cars now, and then decide.

So many choices to consider today.

The op asked for guru opinions. Guru opinions, by definition, should not be confined by the expectations of the one who has the need to ask to begin with. So I honestly don't see anything wrong when someone suggested 458 in this thread. You don't have to help make this into 458 vs 488 thread further.

PTG1, Boomhauer and Sargepug like this.
  19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The thread is - First Ferrari -488 or F8. Replies include 458 and 720S and 600LT.

The F8 is superior to the 488 on every performance metric, far more attractive and is more compelling to drive. The only advantage of the 488 is cheaper price due to it being the outgoing model and only available used.

20. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Buy the F8! It's the faster, better version of the car.
    Will you lose money? A LOT, but that shouldn't be the reason you buy these cars.

PTG1 likes this.
  21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #46 Shadowfax, May 27, 2020
    Last edited: May 27, 2020
    Truth is F8 does not feel superior in any performance metric without back to backing them on a circuit and even then any difference is marginal other than feeling a bit more polished here and there in the ride and steering feel. Power wise the 488 is very powerful so again it makes it hard to single out anything thing which stands out enough, to matter enough, to warrant the extra spend. This was the dilemma I found with the F8 as well, granting it being the improved version even though the improvements really are not that profound. 488 was a very accomplished car too and is not that old. F8 is just a refresh and Ferrari makes no bones about that.

If I didn't own either and one was to be my first Ferrari I would naturally be more inclined to go with the newer car and pay the ticket but having been there done that with the 488 and having taken the significant beating, with the wisdom of hindsight, faced with the same decision today, I would take the saving, buy the gtb now and wait for F8 to drop the same bundle - which it will do - but chances are by that time 1 year or two in from now the attraction for F8 won't be there as it is now anyway. So yes I believe it does come down to money for most as Mandalay said - as in how much one wants to spend to get into one, and, how much is one really prepared to lose when those chickens come home to roost. Because they are coming home to roost, no question there.

Everyone loves to say losing money isn't the reason why you buy these cars but when it happens - as it tends to do on these mainstream models - then a whole new perspective and realization is gained, and, appreciated, when that time comes. I don't care how much money people like to say doesn't matter but funny thing is no one likes losing a ton of it no matter how well off they are. Pretty sure there is no shortage of crying going on behind closed doors in the Ferrari camp lol. I think with F8 a few extra boxes of kleenex will be needed a year or two on from now....and a bucket for the spewing and all the yodeling going on behind closed doors.

22. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    If you can find a 488 spec that you like priced right, go for it. If you put down a deposit on an F8 right now, probably a year out before delivery. I’m pretty picky on the Spec I wanted, there is not one 488 on the market that didn’t have something I didn’t like, or something I wish it had. So I ordered an F8 almost a year ago..still don’t have the car, maybe by late summer.

23. SirPouyan

SirPouyan Karting
    BANNED

Oct 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    SirPouyan
    Did you already post your decision? If not, what did you finally decide?

paulchua likes this.
  24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    He's expanded his queries.

25. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Did I seriously hear someone say the 458 is raw? Raw, the 458 is not. The 9k engine is sweet and smooth, it’s not overly loud, the sound is good but nothing like as good as an 812 or a GT3 RS. A CS is raw, a GTO is fairly raw and the challenge cars are raw. The 458 is a thoroughly competent road car with lots of sound deadening and it is perfectly doable to daily drive one if you felt so inclined. The absolutely bonkers performance of the F8 will feel more like ‘raw’ than the 458, even if the sound is different. Neither car is anything less than an excellent and very usable exotic. One is n/a, which some love to the exclusion of all other attributes, the other is better to drive and faster and some say prettier.

As to 488 v F8, if you can’t wait, the 488 is excellent. If you’re happy to wait and can only buy one the F8 is better but not so much that you’ll feel disappointed to be driving a Ferrari 488 (not a criticism - no new Ferrari should make us feel disappointed if we ‘only’ have the old one!)

Texas2step, Ash Patel and Coincid like this.