Another 360 annual service question | FerrariChat

Another 360 annual service question

Discussion in '360/430' started by Husker, May 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    So my new-to-me 360 had its last annual service a year ago (600 miles ago). It is now due another annual service. I have found a good mechanic to do it, but he asked me why I was changing out gearbox, brake fluids, and coolant after just 600 miles. I told him "because the next owner will want to see it". He said "whatever, it's your money and I'm glad to do it."

So is a complete annual necessary after a year/600 miles? Or just a simple oil change? Certainly I don't want to skimp on anything, nor do I want to go tearing into anything "just because."

Thoughts?

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    You will get as many thoughts as many responses

If you follow science and your vehicle was serviced a year ago with all the fluids changed and is stored indoor and you drove it for at least 10 miles every time you started it then you probably need to do anything for the miles you have out on

If you you want to go the cautious way ..change the oil and brake fluid and that is already more than you need to do in a year

Brake fluid and coolant is really the only time sensitive fluid and changing every two years if sufficient

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  3. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Different schools of thought... 75% of the clients we see , on their own, request a full annual service ( all fluids AND filters ) where as the remaining 23 % ask for oil change and brake flush only. ( the other 2% do anything every 2-3 years )

Cheap " insurance " , depending on driving style, how " extreme " the environment is where you are etc. Also, there is more to a full annual service than just changing the fluids, your guy should be checking charging system, cooling system, suspension , treating body seals, checking for fresh fluid leaks, etc... all preventative... but actually needed? Not until something breaks that could have been caught.

The real question is when was the gearbox fluid heat exchanger last replaced... THAT's what the next owner ( and you ) should be asking. ;-)

Steve

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Here is link I found interesting

I agree checking things goes without say
    . That should be done every season or even every month .. checking levels ..colors ... Leaks ..noises .. but most hope some can be done by the owner ..if he/she can't an annual inspection is a great maintenance item ... Some shops around here used to have open houses that do that thing as a complimentary courtesy and to drum.up some business

5. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Looks like Husker found a trustworthy mechanic and should take his advice.

flash32 likes this.
  6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Wonder why they call it "annual service"?

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    It is safe to assume that most people don't drive until oil reaches 212 and hence the need for an annual ..too much water in oil that could cause corrosion etc

It is not the oil goes bad from sitting it is if driven freq but not long enough to burn away fuel and water etc

Brake fluid should last 2 year unless it is tracked etc

8. jdlegg

jdlegg Karting

Dec 22, 2009
    Bryan
    Full Name:
    James D
    You do NOT want the heat exchanger to fail. It's a real mess and takes 10-15 flushes of the coolant and gearbox to clean-up. Change the fluids per recommended service schedule. Period.

Apollo 11, E60 M5 and SAFE4NOW like this.
  9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    That would be the coolant which every two years should be fine

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I also change transaxle fluid annually. It gets cooked pretty good sitting between the headers. Doing it annually also allows you to detect if the heat exchanger is failing, as there will be coolant in the fluid if it is.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

11. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I'm not sure what a heat exchanger is, but one was replaced at 37,775 miles two years ago, and I'm at around 39,800 now.

12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yep, it was replaced so no worry for a long time.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  13. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Skid you basically replaced the whole car! :D The records on this thing would impress the queen mother. THANK YOU!

14. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Change fluids annually, I do. Some fluids before and after track days to be sure.

Need4Spd likes this.
  15. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I find this quite amusing.
    Your car is new (to you) and after only 600 miles you're worrying about the next owner.

Damn bro, enjoy YOUR car NOW and do what you think is right. Wasting money because someone else says to do so is not the way to go, especially in this financial condition some of us might be facing.

Reminds me of an old mechanic's saying, " If it ain't broke fix it till it is".

Need4Spd, Apollo 11 and EastMemphis like this.
  16. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    agreed.

17. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
    Husker, as the caretaker of this car between you and Skidkid :) I don't remember the transmission fluid being changed in 2019. In 2019, the engine oil and brake fluid was changed for sure. I think the last transmission fluid was June 2018 (when the heat exchanger was replaced) so probably a good idea to do transmission fluid this year.

flash32 likes this.
  18. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    very helpful! Thanks Art!

19. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    The schedule for servicing and intervals is in the owners manual. Just add in the F1 fluid change (where applicable) every 2-3 years. You do not need to change coolant and brake fluid every year. But hey if you want to, go for it.

Apollo 11 and flash32 like this.
  20. grtoz

grtoz Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    Byron Bay, Australia
    Full Name:
    Graeme Towers
    Four years ago the heat exchanger on my 360 failed. It was replaced by a Ferrari dealer. The replacement failed a month ago notwithstanding annual coolant and gearbox oil changes.

The Ferrari dealer had installed one of the original heat exchangers (#175913) and not one of the upgraded versions (#180846) shown below.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G975F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    that’s some crappy luck.