Launch X431 Pros Mini "Disaccording" | FerrariChat

Launch X431 Pros Mini "Disaccording"

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by EastMemphis, May 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I finally broke down and bought an X431 Pros Mini. Overall, a very nice looking and feeling unit with a nice case and a passel of ways to attach it to cars. I have an OBDII, so a lot of extra hardware there.

The installation went very well and everything updated properly. I tried doing a report on my 360 Spider and I got a weird message.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I've spoken English a long time and I can't ever remember using the word "Disaccording" before. Maybe it's a bizarre translation. Maybe it's a real word. Well, whatever. The device was broken and not working.

I did some searching on the internet and on the description for the X431 Pros Mini for one seller, it said if this was encountered, to do a factory reset and download the app again. Not very well explained.

First step is a factory reset. Typically, that involves holding down a combination of volume buttons and the power button when doing a cold restart. That wouldn't work with this device as there is no volume button.

To reset to factory settings, including a total wipe of the system, I went through the settings app inside the device.

That worked great to wipe the device, but it also wiped the X431 software. What now?

Again, it took me a while to figure out how to reload the software. For starters, the Launch Mini isn't a Launch product. It's a licensed product from China and Launch must get some sort of fee. That means ZERO support from the Launch company in the west.

I got a good clue on how to reload the software from the startup screen on the device. At the bottom of the screen was a website http://cnlaunch.com. That's the actual company that's licensed Launch software and where the support originates for this device.

On their support page, they had a download for the application APK. I used Chrome, which was included on the device, to locate and download it.

Android, by default, doesn't allow "sideloading" of applications. They want you to only use applications in the Google Play store. Allowing sideloading is a setting that has to be checked in the settings app of the device before the downloaded APK can be installed.

That solved the problem and now I have a fully capable X431 Mini to check the electronic components of my Ferrari 360 Spider.

Some fun things I've discovered about the X431 and the 360.

The entire catalog of electrical parts for the Capote can be examined in real time as they go through their dance. The same goes for the ECU's. Looks like good information for debugging these marvels.

2. epb0

epb0 Rookie

Feb 27, 2015
    FRANCE
    X431 pros mini is a official Launch product, and Lauch isn't a US compagny.
    USA branch of Launch doesnt sell this version of X431.

tstuli likes this.
  3. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I returned the X431 as it was too twitchy to be of any use. It didn't read any of the capote parameters, although they are listed as data points and there are no active tests. I bought an Autel MS906 instead. This device, although a bit more expensive than the X431, seems much more stable, captures all the data, including the capote and has dozens of active tests including the reset for the throttle adaptation.

Here's an example of what I mean by "twitchy":

Image Unavailable, Please Login

This is obviously impossible data. Every parameter was the same. Voltage, for instance, fluctuated from -5V to +26V every second. The Autel instrument shows the data as rock solid and as expected. This maybe a problem with the X431 unit i had.

4. epb0

epb0 Rookie

Feb 27, 2015
    FRANCE
    I try this week on a Maserati Quattroporte V a Autel MX808 and a Launch X431:
    Exactly same menu, same functions and, of course, same values.
    No difference between these 2 tools, certainly the same root ;-)