F1 2020 Delayed: News/updates / is there hope :) | Page 22 | FerrariChat

F1 2020 Delayed: News/updates / is there hope :)

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Mar 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    ^^What he said! Go watch Le Mans for economy runs.

stavura, jgonzalesm6 and Bas like this.
  2. Uh-uh, uh-uh, uuuuuhhhhh.......
    Be nice now. Nothing wrong with endurance racing. And what was it, way back in the day...the Index of Performance?...too many years for me to remember the exact terminology.....that had it's place (it also wasn't just a mileage contest; there was a formula for rating fuel/speed) in the race along with the rest of the normal racing class finishing positions. I enjoy pretty much all aspects of racing. Of course, some more than others. :)

Remy Zero and william like this.
  3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Instead of dreaming up their own daft engines again, maybe they should ask the fans...

A) 3.5 V10/12 NA, rev cap by means of valve springs, perhaps a KERS unit like in 2011-2013
    B) Keep current engine
    C) Keep current engine, take away MGUH

375+ likes this.
  4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

If F1 wants the support of the manufacturers, it has to adopt a formula that interest them to participate.
    I don't think that stalling R&D or freezing technology will keep them onboard.
    The hybrid technology was interesting to explore for a few constructors, because it has some relevance with their needs.
    Even Honda and Renault that struggled learn something.
    It's not certain if F1 can survive if the manufacturers pull out.

5. There are the (and wanna-be) Judds, Ilmors, Cosworths, etc., in the world that would be happy to produce (simplified rules, of course) IC engines that would produce equivalent power for far less cost. They just wouldn't be as complicated/expensive nor trying to impress anyone with green-foolery.

ago car nut likes this.
  6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    In latest news from the UK Boris Johnson now wants to help the British GP to take place.

7. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    The story is so far incomplete but The Times published a story this morning that Boris was (still...) looking at ways for it to happen - there is so much fake news and out and out lies in our press currently that there's no reason to believe it (even though I suspect a GP will happen albeit possibly not on the original two weekends - their only current date constraint is MotoGP scheduled for Aug 30)

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

They haven't been able to make their case so far.
    Also, Judd, Ilmor and Cosworth wouldn't bring to F1 the money like the constructors do.
    Don't forget that Cosworth came into F1 thanks to Ford, Ilmor thanks to Mercedes, and Judd thanks to Honda !!!
    So much for being "independent" !!!
    Alone, they would never have been able produce F1 engines at affordable cost.

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    What should be an affordable cost?
    $10K per engine
    $100K per engine -- original DFV territory; could be done again
    $1M per engine
    $10M per engine -- this is about what a $25M engine budget is where you use only 3 engines per year

What DFV experience tells us is the once "a big company" pays for the original development (maybe $10M in 1965 dollars) one can then manufacture developed engines at a race-reasonable cost structure. But without the "big company" footing the engineering and development bill, no small company can get their foot in the door.

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    That's my argument for continuing the present hybrid formula.
    The initial development costs have already been forked out by Mercedes, Ferrari and Honda (forget Renault).
    If they were to leave F1, they could license their design and expertise to small engine builders.
    Just building and servicing these power units wouldn't be as costly as creating a new generation of engines.
    Plus, we would keep the state-of-the-art technology. A win-win situation, IMO.

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    And why would anyone want to pay for said license, to build and sell engines that you already admitted the top teams sell for a loss? That's got to be up there for ''worst ever business decisions, ever''.

stavura and 375+ like this.
  12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Constructors at present sell their power units below cost, simply because they cannot pass on the cost of R&D and development on client teams.
    That's also their way to support these teams.
    An engine builder being handed over a license wouldn't have to bear the R&D cost, and would only have to buid the units.
    It has been done in the past: Megatron, Mecachrome, Judd, etc ...

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    been done in the past with way, way cheaper engines, and far less complicated.

For this to work the engines would have to all be pretty close together. It simply isn't. Mercedes super engine, reliable, powerful, seemingly endless settings. Honda is getting there peak power wise, but a little bit fragile here and there, and not as drivable as the Mercedes. Renault claims to be on Ferrari level of power, but each time they claim that, the engine explodes. An unreliable turd of an engine that's more useful as a paperweight. Ferrari won't license.

So we have 1 good engine, 1 engine that's quite good but needs further development, and one turd. That means that the 2 not so good engines will immediately drop off, as no one can afford the development.

So we're stuck with 1 mercedes engine and 1 fast but unreliable Ferrari engine.

2 engines that few fans are interested in.

14. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    oh don't get me wrong my friend. I love endurance racing. It's a different ball game. What I'm pissed is, manufacturers, FIA, is making a sprint race to an endurance race. I just want F1 drivers to drive the wheels out of the car, not worry about fuel, tyres, adjustable wings, and bullshir.

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Well, that's enough!

In the 70s, we had Ferrari against a field of cars powered by the Cosworth DFV.

16. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Why don't we just forget about F1. Enough reasons to scrap it forever:

-Ferrari haven't won a WDC since 2007
    -Today's F1 cars look like they were designed by blind morons
    -Today's F1 cars sound like hungry mice
    -DRS is short for debile retard succes
    -FIA regulations are against any logics of motorsports
    -FIA is no more than a bunch of badly organised crooks

Why the hell should we go on with this?

Remy Zero, ago car nut and 500tr like this.
  17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Agree with all, except the Ferrari bit...I don't believe F1 is good or bad simply because Ferrari has won or not. I want to see true competition. What we've had since 2014, is manufactured **** set in motion in 2011 or so.

Especially with the (now) 2022 rules, I really don't understand why they kept the DRS? What a tragic move. The fact that the FIA installed it on junior formula is sad, as it teaches the young kids to simply wait to draft past instead of making a skillful overtake on the brakes. Who remembers a DRS overtake? No one. People remember skilled stuff.

I remember how quite a lot of us cheered when Todt came to FIA power. How wrong where we all...!

18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    You're happy with 1 reliable engine? And don't care that no one actually likes the engine formula?

Thank god you're not in charge of anything F1 related.

stavura likes this.
  19. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Formula Libre is the only way to go. You run what you brung...if you get beat this week, you come back the next week with whatever you can afford to get to the track. Any and all engines, designs, the drivers with the biggest balls...the only rule is how many laps the race is.

ago car nut likes this.
  20. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Sorry to bring this back on topic - latest draft calendar - Hockenheim to replace Silverstone if we still have 14 day quarantine or no dispensation

2020 F1 world championship – provisional European schedule:

July 5 - Austria

July 12 - Austria

July 19 - Hungary

August 2 - Britain

August 9 - Britain

August 16 -Spain

August 30 - Belgium

September 6 - Italy

tifosi12 likes this.
  21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    This will be a season turbo style: One race after another.

In the past back to back races were the exception, now a 2 weeks break is an exception. Yeah!
    Can't wait.

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    On a less happy note:

Zandvoort got cancelled.

No trip to the Netherlands for me this year. :(